Work in Progress

Mars Scots Mercenaries (TYW)

Posted by davbenbak1 on 17 Feb 2015, 16:59

Here is my progress so far on my first unit. I have them primed and painted flesh areas. For some reason they just don't seem to come to like until they have faces. Though some will eventually have shoes and hose, they are currently bare footed with "red shanks"

Here's a close up for a better view and less of the clutter of my painting table.

davbenbak1  United States of America

Posted by Marvin on 17 Feb 2015, 18:09

Interesting figures, not so familiar with Mars stuff. Keep us posted with progress, I look forward to seeing them develop!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 17 Feb 2015, 22:58

I think this is first MARS wip I ever saw. Looking forward to see progress on them.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Feb 2015, 10:35

Very interesting! We need more of this!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 19 Feb 2015, 16:15

Painting instructions are on the cap: "Hold tab down & turn!" That's easy! :-D

Go on! Looks good so far! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by davbenbak1 on 20 Feb 2015, 17:00

I've given them hair and caps. Those with proper jackets and pants were issued grey material. The rest will be in white linen shirts and plaids. My next step will be to paint the plaid kilts and tewes. I will probably go with a medium brown base with alternating red and green squares based on the results of a few test figures.
Then we'll see what an ink wash will yield. Actually there is a lot of contour on these figures and if I were a better painter there would be lots of easy surfaces for highlights.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by bilsonius on 21 Feb 2015, 02:51

I seem to remember reference to Scots in saffron yellow shirts...

In hot weather, apparently, the plaid would be discarded and the ends of the shirt tied together between the legs, but I don't think anyone does models of this... :roll:
bilsonius  United Kingdom

Posted by davbenbak1 on 21 Feb 2015, 16:52

Yes, I'm afraid this unit is more Hollywood than historical. While they might have gotten off the boat in their native garb, it would not have been long before they blended in with the rest of the army's attire. Once I give them an ink wash the white shirts should tone down a bit. I might use a brown wash on these guys then the shirts will have more of a yellowed unbleached linen looked instead of grey from the black ink.

Posted by sansovino on 22 Feb 2015, 11:12

I appreciate your work but I am quite doubtful about the quality of these Mars figures. I am interesting on this period and Mars has produced many sets to it, but I don´t know any other producer who is constantly ignoring so much the human body. Half of its figures are monsters with horrible bodies and clothes, no necks and very strange faces. Some of them can been cut to get better figures, some are really rubbish. And the scots seems to be one of their weakest sets.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by davbenbak1 on 23 Feb 2015, 22:46

After some experimentation, I chose the two following patterns for the plaids I wanted to paint.

The first is a red base with dark brown vertical stripes and medium brown horizontal stripes. The second is a medium brown base with dark brown vertical stripes and green horizontal strips. The figures have pretty deep grooves patterned on them so the paint flows easily in the cracks as long as you keep you brush and the paint well thinned.

Posted by davbenbak1 on 04 Mar 2015, 19:56

Here is the finished product. I gave them a light wash of brown ink and a spray of dulcoat. I would describe my painting skills as average at best and I think they turned out rather well.

They are currently based for an ECW army and I will attach a flag to the upright pikeman. After I paint the rest of the box I will use the less well clothed, including the archers, for Hamilton's army and the better armed and clothed for Mackay's. To round out the "Scottish Brigade" I'll use regularly clothed and armed figures as the Lumsdaine/Spens unit as it had been in the field for a while and would have probably looked identical to the rest of the army. I plan on using Mars figures for them as well to match with the other Scots units.

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Mar 2015, 05:24

Dave: I think you've made some ordinary figures look pretty darn good.

I'm getting a little inspired by this.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Kekso on 05 Mar 2015, 11:32

I agree with Donald... good job. More photos please.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Work in Progress