General

Diary X: May 2017 Duel v. Zed1

Posted by Bluefalchion on 27 Jan 2019, 22:47

First of all, here is a link to the original post containing the duel in question:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20577

In the unlikely event that there are any comments about this write-up, please post them here and leave the original post buried in 2017 where it belongs. Remco wants to keep his dueling section tidy, a goal I share wholeheartedly.

This was my fifth duel as Mr. X. Expecting to lose 12 and win zero, I was surprised to be sitting at two wins, one loss, and one exhilirating tie. My challenger Zed1 picked this figure, so I purchased the set and started researching as I waited for it to ship.

And what a fascinating journey it was! I learned that there really were female gladiators, but they were rare and considered exotic by observers at the time. "Gladiatrix" was a term that came into use hundreds of years later, but not contemporarily. And little is known about them.

So I realized just about any color could be possible. Since the different gladiator types were all based on traditional enemies of Rome, this gal appeared to be something like a Thracian.

I decided to make her blond, anyway. I speculated that such performers might wear dramatic makeup to exaggerate their features for the benefit of the patrons in the upper levels, so I attempted to create that look.

I tried to give this figure the look of fair, but somewhat sunburnt skin. I ended up using around a dozen layers, and the result was passable. If I were to paint this figure again, I probably would have used brown for a leather hat, possibly with some metal trim.

I loved Sho's "mirror image" photo style, so I mimicked it here. Finally, I strayed from my usual "serious as a heart-attack" naming convention and made a (lame) attempt at a funny title.

Zed1's entry was really fantastic, and his hair and skin tones probably much more likely. But more voters picked mine. I especially enjoyed Remco's post announcing the result. So Mr. X improved to 3-1-1, heading into the June Duel. There, as we shall see, the wheels started to fall off the wagon.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 28 Jan 2019, 11:21

I can only say again that it is very nice reading this diary from a Mr X. And it works just as well posting a link to the original duel. Go on!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Jan 2019, 14:38

To be perfectly frank, I would probably do write-ups of all these duels and post them even if no one else read them. I have to do them soonish, or I will forget how they progressed. But it is nice to know that at least a few are enjoying them.

One additional item: this female gladiator figure is not supplied with a base. So the duelers agreed to employ a simple 5c piece coin, painted sand. Sasha did a much better job on his base. One area that I always find tricky is the transition between the feet and the base. It is so easy for paint to collect in that spot and mar the figure. In this case, I simply balanced her on the base for the photograph without gluing it. And she is still in that state to this day.

Lastly (I promise), I meant to put this in the category General--20mm and 1:72 scale. Perhaps a kindly mod could move it there, for me. Only two of the duels were in other scales...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Return to General