Work in Progress

How to make windows and doors that open

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Nov 2013, 17:32

Hi guy`s this is a very quick section,of how to scratchbuild,using Paper Mounting Card,used to frame Pictures! How to Make Wall`s & How to Scratchbuild a Roof. have been posted already on this Forum by Little Old Me! These are well worth looking at if you have not done so,because they discribe in full detail the system that I have developed and which I work by. So here we are, the card has been marked out quite simple like this.Image ImageImage this is just a small sample peice ,marked out first,with brick`s and mortor line,and then the door way & window has been completely cut out. Next placed on another peice of the same type card,and used as a pattern to draw the window & door way out onto the bottom card. OK? The top card was removed and the window marked out. I have done a rather crude door & window ,just to show you how to do it.Remember it will be you making the scratchbuilt model of your very own building,not I.Imagecut the window sections out, and this simple window is nearly finished! next determine which way you want your door to open and cut right through the card along the top & bottom,and likewise through only one side of your marked out door,and if you can cut a fine thin strip from the top & bottom and the side you have cut.Just a very fine peice please, or just run the edge of the craft-knife along each cut a few times. What you are doing is making it easy for the door to open & close!Now gently cut about half way through the other side of the door,and then gently ease the door back. See you have created a door,that open`s. Next scribe the door in the design you choose ,and the job is nearly done!Part two follows soon.OK? ...... Please don`t cut your finger`s off!
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Nov 2013, 15:02

Next job paint your door`s & window`s on your model & when dry, dry brush the door.I painted my window white.When dry stick the two half`s to each other. Make sure to carefully to line up all your window`s & door`s on you model. Smooth & flaten your work down by hand,and leave for 5 minutes then place a book onto your work ,and leave untill work is stuck fast & dry. By leaving for a short while you aviod your work from slipping out of line. OK? As you can see I`ve stuck a small step onto the model & a window sill too.ImageImageImage ImageNow is time to work on your brick`s, like ( On How To Scratch Build A Brick Wall! ) Build them up good & nice & when dry paint them ,any way you wish. I used a tinny peice of sponge to lightly dab & do mine,and this is the end result that I wanted. Take a look.ImageImageImageImage This is the other side & on your model draw a line where you want to fix your floor`s.OK?
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Nov 2013, 03:04

I use many way`s to paint bricks on my model`s. Like thisImageImageImageImageImageImage These are some of the medieval model`s that I made recently with flint & bricK in the wall`s.ImageImageImageImageThis is a canal tunnel which I`m working on,and the outside brick-work needs a bit more work done to it before the finish,however the inner walls are finished. They were painted and then dry brushed with white! Yes there are many way`s to make windows & doors and paint bricks! Just thought I`d show you these examples. Also all the roof`s on these building`s were scribed,and then assembled in the same way as in How to Scatchbuild a Roof! Yes no tiles,just scribed by pen,then painted with S Matt paint,and then dry brushed! If you wish to scratch build my advice is ,practice cutting window`s & door`s out. Go on Google Map,and look at old buildings like this.Image See what windows & doors & wall`s & chimny`s are like. Have Fun! B B
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Susofrick on 27 Nov 2013, 10:45

Strange! I couldn't like the last section, maybe because I love it! Great work! And very nice of you to show how you do it! Like worked now, bah, computers! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Nov 2013, 11:26

Thank you guys for pressing the like button! By the way Susofrick, The Dalek`s & the Bomb, I finished a few day`s ago too!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Peter on 04 Dec 2013, 18:37

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Work in Progress