Officers Mess

Lap Top

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Feb 2014, 03:42

Having had bought myself & Mrs B a new P C,I desided to trash my old Lap Top for security reasons. The hundreds of photos were saved on Back up Sticks or whatever those things are called that you plug into a P C ! I ripped the hard-drive out and destroyed the disks.I was luky that I was wearing my Glasser`s because I had thought that the disk`s were made of shiny thin metal,and so when I was trying to lever them out of the hard-drive the darn things exploded into thousand`s of sharp pieces which hit me not only all over chest but full in the face too. The things were made of very thin glass and I was covered all over with tiny sharp pieces. Not only this but when they exploded it sent shower`s of the stuff all over the room. Mrs B quickly fetched the Vax Machine and shut the door to keep the dog`s out of the room.Then hovered all this sharp dusty stuff off me,and then cleaned every thing in the room. I have a good thick beared and so had to wash all this sharp stuff out of it.My beared saved my face from being cut to shreds and I do believe if it had not been for my glasses that I would have been blinded! The Darn things exploded like a C 4 charge,or a Claymore! So I thought I`d post this here as a clear warning to others to be aware of a clear and present danger when trashing one of these Computors. Stay safe, Paul
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 01 Feb 2014, 09:01

Hi Paul... To be honest, I'm not quite sure why need to destroy it physically. Formatting hard drive might do the trick and you could sell it. Cheers. :-)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Feb 2014, 10:58

Why destroy? I felt that because all my written work,and all my Banking details,and details of several accounts like Amazon & eBay,and other stuff was on those Disk`s. Recent history of orginized crime hitting not just G Britain but the whole World has proved that people who are expert with P C`s can restore all ones history! Steal your identity,and empty your Bank Account,in two ways they buy stuff! and Transfure Your Money. A man was suprized in England to find his identity had been stolen,and used in several online Scames! He found out when the Police smashed in his door early one morning.He`d had his hard-drive ted & Wiped Clean,and then had sold his old P C,over six mounths before.Some Highly Orginized Smug Gang sitting in Internet Cafes in Africa were responsible. No Delibor, Might is not a certainty but my Big Hammer is!
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 01 Feb 2014, 11:15

I see, thanks for explaining.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 01 Feb 2014, 11:54

Formatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. It makes it much more difficult to recover the files but not impossible, better is a Disk Wipe then to Format but a hammer is even better, an Option I´d choose. Remember, the electronics are still worth Money, "Thar´s Gold in them thar PC´s!"
Paul  China

Posted by Kekso on 01 Feb 2014, 12:18

Hi Guys. I guess I still live in the world where stolen identities are not common :-D . Therefore I didn't thought of someone could recover data after formatting hard drive (though I knew that it is possible). Thanks for explaining :beer:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Feb 2014, 13:03

Hi guys thank you for your interest,but the underlying thing that really counts with me was to warn members who might wish to destroy thier old hardrive that these Disk`s can and will explode and could cause injuries,like getting blinded.My advice concerning the Disk`s is open up the Hard-Drive place it in a plastic bag, put your hand holding a Hammer likewise in the plastic bag make sure nothing can fly out,and bash the Darn Thing`s. Like I said these things are made of glass,and not metal,and Boy O Boy they go off with a Bang! Stay safe .....................Paul
Beano Boy  England

Return to Officers Mess