Work in Progress

Strange little project

Posted by steve_pickstock on 17 Sep 2023, 22:28

Some years ago I produced some animated Powerpoint presentations on the way to perform some drill manoeuvres. They went down well, but Powerpoint has improved quite a lot in recent years and it was suggested that these presentations could be improved.

I could have just used coloured blocks like I did originally, but I was looking through Eduard Wagner's European Weapons and Warfare, and I decided to see what I could do along those lines.
I haven't done any serious drawing for years and it just wasn't working. So I 'borrowed' an image from Wagner, and used that as a basis, but adapted the style.

After some black and white images, I drew with a pikeman, simple, coloured with pencil crayons.

After a lot of initial tracing and changing I came up with this sample sheet with different styles of figure but they're all pikemen and all at the Order posture. But I needed more than pikemen and you don't perform drill evolutions at the Order, you would use the Advance instead.

I was happy with the way that the figures scaled down (reduced in Powerpoint from 19cm in height down to about 2cm) and how the colours looked like those from Wagner, I just needed to improve the number and poses of the figures.

So, next I drew the pikeman, and an officer at the Advance posture.

With pikes drawn in, I decided to do some more officers. Pikemen (and muskets) you can get away with one image copied and pasted enough times to make up a body of soldiers, but you need officers to command each body, so I drew some single use figures.

With the officers sorted out I needed the shot element - musketeers - a couple of standard bearers, and drummers.

Lastly, I redrew the pikemen - one armoured and one unarmoured.

Finally (for the moment) I had a sample to work with.

So that's about a week's work - and I'm quite happy with the end result - it's something to work with.
Thanks for looking in.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 17 Sep 2023, 22:57

Very interesting Steve. :thumbup:

From the idea of drawing a few soldiers,
Mighty armies can be forged into steel. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bessiere on 18 Sep 2023, 00:21

I wish I were as brave as you drawing troops. These are fine illustrations and will do nicely for simple animations. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by steve_pickstock on 18 Sep 2023, 17:53

Bessiere wrote:I wish I were as brave as you drawing troops. These are fine illustrations and will do nicely for simple animations. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Bessiere

I'm not really sure it's about bravery. I have always drawn, since I was a small child - I even worked as an art teacher for a couple of years. I just let it lapse.

Anyway - here are a few of my other efforts which are kind of relevant. They're all cartoons based on the ECW or 30YW, and are from about 30 (ish) years ago.

An alternate version

In 1643/44 the Royalist garrison at High Ercall House, in Shropshire were under siege; every morning a Roundhead drummer would climb up into a birch tree on a slope to the east of the house and beat out a challenge to the garrison. One morning a Royalist soldier shot him out of the tree.
It sounds like a tall story - except - the slope is still called 'The Birch Tree Bank' and the soldier was called Arthur Hurlstone. According to the parish records he was a local man born near the house and he was a game keeper and a marksman by profession.
There are also records of 'long gonnes', rifled fowling pieces, in the armoury of the house when it fell to the Parliament in 1646.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Sep 2023, 18:35

Very nice indeed.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 18 Sep 2023, 20:48

Most entertaining, and clearly you have a talent! I also like your Eduard Wagner-style drawings; simplicity often works well and these are effective illustrations.

Back in the day I produced some watercolour 'uniform plates' for a friend who had various articles published in Wargames Illustrated. I have to say that in retrospect I am not particularly pleased with any of these (so I will not be posting them here!) but at the time it was fairly exciting to have illustrations in print.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 18 Sep 2023, 21:20

Minuteman wrote:Back in the day I produced some watercolour 'uniform plates' for a friend who had various articles published in Wargames Illustrated. I have to say that in retrospect I am not particularly pleased with any of these (so I will not be posting them here!) but at the time it was fairly exciting to have illustrations in print.

Ohhh! Go on! :-D Publish and be d@mned.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Santi Pérez on 19 Sep 2023, 16:45

I like very much your drawing style, Steve. Thank you for sharing with us all these beautiful illustrations, as well as your other unknown artistic facet that we must add to the one we already know in the field of modelling. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 24 Sep 2023, 18:06

Looking very good Steve! :yeah:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 25 Sep 2023, 09:33

Can only agree woth the others.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by MABO on 03 Oct 2023, 07:06

It's so interesting to see what talents lie dormant here with Benno. I like your drawings very much. You are really a very creative person. Currently I'm working - more or less just for fun - on a script for a movie that will probably never be made. But all of a sudden I had the desire to make a thought image into an existing one. Because it just fits so well, I show it to you here. :oops:
No competition, I would loose anyway! ;-)

MABO  Europe

Return to Work in Progress