Work in Progress

1/43 AVUS International Race 1937

Posted by Challenger77 on 11 Aug 2023, 11:22

Hello Mates, to calm down from the Tiredesaster on my big challenge >> viewtopic.php?f=79&t=20789&view=unread#unread i start another Project. Not nearly as complex and time-consuming, the famous "Silverarrows" on the Wall of Death, the not more exists, banked North curve of the AVUS Berlin Racetrack. This inspird me to build it, from the Book "When Sex was safe and Motorsport bloody Dangerous" https://automobilist.com/pages/book

So it looks in real

The kits lying here since last Year, at first i want to go with big Scale carrera Slotcars but the carreras have not much in common with the real ones, especially the Benz, i thikn the Designer smoke something other than Tobacco....see yourself......

So i go with the GB/Touchwood Models. This are resin, very well detailed and smooth. need only minorchanges to accept the Pilotfigures.

Here the Auto Union Type C " Stromlinie" aka Streamliner , the Cutouts in the fenders are a bit too big, lets see how i can change this. Also on the real car there was somthing like glass over them.

and the Mercedes Benz W25 " Stromlinie" aka Streamliner

And thats the Plan, using CH reative real stonemats in 2 differentt Sizee/Shades

;-)
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Peter on 11 Aug 2023, 12:19

Looking forward to the progress this very nice new project! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 11 Aug 2023, 14:49

I will follow this with pleasure.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 12 Aug 2023, 07:29

Interesting project.
Looking forward to your progress.
Thanks for sharing
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by Challenger77 on 12 Aug 2023, 12:53

The first Cuts and modifications done to place a Figure in the Cockpits. On the Auto Union i was a simple Trick, move the Dashboard ca. 1,5 mm forward, and then the Arms of the Figure must be more bend. Yes this is right, in those Days the Drivers sit very near to the Steeringwheels.

On the mercedes it was a bit more Work. The Headrest is a bit too wide on the Body so i sand it down , about 1mm. Then i cut off the Pad from the Seat and flue it directly on the Headrest. The Seat it self was molded too far forward and too high. So i cut it from the Floorpan, sand it down to reduce the High and go a bit Backward to sit flusch with the Headrest.

And i sanded the edges of the Wheelcover to a more rounded Shape.They were molded with a hefty Edge. The Rear Covers i will scratchbuild. Well i know what someone say "thats not correct for Langs Car...." in the Trainingssessions they drive with all, without, with Covers only at Front or Back , so i go with all covered.I like the look much better, with these Covers the Car looks real brutal and monstrous, even in Comparsion to the UFOlike Autounion.

Regards
Harry

PS i think i found Help for the Mille Miglia Desaster, 3D Print will help.....
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Peter on 12 Aug 2023, 19:34

Looking good so far! :thumbup:

And that is good news for your other project! :yeah:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 14 Aug 2023, 23:55

Very interesting!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 17 Aug 2023, 22:12

Challenger77 wrote:Hello Mates, to calm down from the Tiredesaster on my big challenge >> viewtopic.php?f=79&t=20789&view=unread#unread i start another Project...

You're a bit like me, Harry, always busy with more than one project at a time (although I can't manage to finish any of them in a reasonable time, hahaha).

This is a very promising start, I'll be following it with great interest too. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Challenger77 on 18 Aug 2023, 11:45

Well Santi, it was'nt the masterplan.... :eh: but you've seen the Tiredesaster on the big Dio. As i wrote , to prevent the yearslong work from destroying, i began this little Sideproject. But it degenerates again with various conversions and self-constructions ...... :-D
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 30 Aug 2023, 16:42

Hello mates, the unbelievabel Heatis over here in Vienna, so i made a small Update on this project. First the kit design requires the dashboard to be glued into the body. This makes fitting a figure almost impossible. So I made something like a subframe for it, glued Seat and the Dashboard on the Floorpan, like the one on the Auto Union.

Then i scratched the Rearwheelcovers from Plasticard and "Pimp up" the front Ones with Plasticard and a "Bit" of mr. White Putty ;-) Sand and polish 'em , glued in Place and putty the not perfect fit again. Also sand down the way too Big "Nuts" on the Wings and the Headrest.

And Putty in the Way to big Tire-Watch-Holes in the Auto union,

now i have to wait until all is dried and hard to sand. So i think about the Base.
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 30 Aug 2023, 19:44

Came up with this 2 Ideas. First ist the Curve itself, Sides closed and a bit of the Back wall or Sides and Back open, the Track only resting on 2 Supports.What do you think ?

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Kekso on 02 Sep 2023, 09:07

Not sure... I think that first one would look better from 360 view.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Challenger77 on 10 Sep 2023, 18:50

Hello, get Plan for the Base finished. After a Week of Filling an Sanding , i use somr Plasticard . And after drilling and filing the Holes out, sand it again flush with the Auto Union Body :P . Then the first Paint, Alclad Aluminium Dark, for the Insides and Cockpits.
#avus1937

A bit of fine Sanding on the Outsidr an then i try Gravity Colors "Alcoa" Paint.
Regards Harry
Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 13 Sep 2023, 16:47

And again to much work for Things that nobody ever see.....Figures and some Decals for the Dashboards, also the Alumium turned Brakedrums from the kits are nearly invisible.........

Bernd Rosemeyer on the Wheel of the Auto Union

and Herrmann Lang in his W25 ;-)

Bodies on thr Chassis and noby see the Details of the Cockpits.....

This is the Kitpart for the Auto Union Exhaustclusters , no Chance to drill 'em out

so i build 'em new with Brasstube....

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Peter on 15 Sep 2023, 18:18

Go on Harry! Looks good so far. :thumbup:

I think this one is best:

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Challenger77 on 29 Nov 2023, 13:50

Hello mates,
after a long vacation from Bergamao, Model Exhibition, to Mulhouse and Eindhoven Scale Model Challenge, iam back on it.....and made a mess of the Carbodies....Paint 'em, see every Scratch, every small imperfection. i tried , as so often, to remove the Paint with Alcohol.....and the Resin reacted, get very soft and weak. So i get 2 new ones :shock:

and the new Bodies, on the MB the Cockpit is a bit out of Shape, i would build it new out of Alufoil or such

Challenger77  Austria

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 12 Dec 2023, 20:34

Good luck Harry! :yeah:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Challenger77 on 01 Jan 2024, 16:50

The new Year begin with the Parts for the Base glued and screwed togheter, now waiting 'till the Glue is dried.

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 08 Jan 2024, 16:27

First Testshot, while the Glue dries.......

Challenger77  Austria

Posted by Challenger77 on 18 Jan 2024, 19:36

Yesterday it was plain white Kapaline, today all Bricks are glued on........now i understand what what the workers did in 1936/37, and they didn't have the brick mats from CH Creative ( https://shop1.ch-kreativ.eu/de/ ), a little bit of joint compound and it's good.

Challenger77  Austria

Next page

Return to Work in Progress