Work in Progress

The Siege of Minis Tirith 40mm style

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 Aug 2023, 15:27

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Yes the walk ways have had battle damage!! Gulp!

The following pictures show another play test we did yesterday. There will be 6 wall sections plus the gate area as individual gaming areas. So this would be how many orcs would be storming this section of a wall area. Imaging the catapult as a siege tower I forgot to bring 2 of them?!

Thanks for having a look.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Sep 2023, 21:00

Not adding any new troop types that havent been seen before but just showing the play testing we have been working through. We plan on having 6 wall sections which consist of one tower and two sections of wall, with the gate area being a seperate command. So once a week for the last two months we have played out a single wall section to attempt to have a balanced 10 turn game. This is proving much harder than we thought.

This first image shows the playing area for one wall section... Which I have the yard sticks forming the edge. The table width we plan on having five feet wide so players can reach the wall. So packed into this area is 72 Orc bowmen and 280 Orc assault troops, 2 Trolls and one and in some sections two siege towers. Yikes!

In this image I actually have the left hand yard stick at the end of the tower which is incorrect. That tower belongs to the Gondorian player which is not represented in this game! Oops. The green mat shows the five foot end of the table we plan on having.

Hitting the wall.

So after changing rules after each play test we have had three games using more or less a stable rules. In the first two games the Gondorians won fairly easily. Then our last game a troll got on the wall and killed off a whole section of Gondor troops which allowed a flood of orcs to gain the wall game over on trun 6. We have another game coming up this week and some thought was given on when the trolls can be activated and perhaps a small pool of Gondor reserve forces may be needed to reinforce wall sections. Oh well..

Thanks for looking!

Posted by Bessiere on 23 Sep 2023, 21:12

Congrats on putting together a slice of epicness. Everything is so nicely painted and your wall sections are superb. How awesome to have a regular club to play through and refine rules without waiting months between games which seems to be the standard for most. I did get a chuckle from the title, I don't know if it was intentional or a Freudian slip but "Minis" Tirith is a great title
Cheers,
Bessiere.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by blacksmith on 24 Sep 2023, 10:32

Truly Epic! That Troll is badass. Wow!
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by Peter on 24 Sep 2023, 20:28

Impressive! :love:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 25 Sep 2023, 09:22

I am a total sucker for scenes with castles on it! Great display! Remember when Prince August first started with moulds for buildings. You could cast your own bricks and build a castle! Only problem was the only figures that fit scalewise was their GNW-soldiers. Love this!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 03 Dec 2023, 23:03

Just a short picture add on most shots are of the gate section with Grond moving in. We have done a number of play tests, almost weekly, for the last few months to create this game. Here are a few images.

Thanks for having a look. After much teeth nashing I think we have the rules for our big game in February. If anybody is going to be near South Bend Indian on February 5, a Saturday come to the convention center for a big LOTR game!!

Posted by PaulRPetri on 04 Feb 2024, 22:25

Well for good or ill we have come to the end of the Minas Tirith project. I was very fortunate to have a stalwart assistance and a fellow game judge and the indulgence of the PopiCon convention in South Bend Indiana. If I learned one thing is that you can have a project that is just too big. My megalomania has finally reached it's pinnacle. Just for information the game took two hours to get up and an hour and half to take down, (funny that?). The game took slighlty longer than two hours our goal from the beginning. So here is a bunch of photos of the game set up and play.

The player turn out was not what I had hoped for but when the game started it was all we could handle. So we had 6 players but we could have had 14. It was when the game began that I realized my flaw in the game design. I had created 7 seperate one on one games which each had to be watched by a game judge so as to assist with the rules. The three games we had was all we could handle and if we had a full compliment of gamers we would have been as game judges overwhelmed. On a positive note the gamers were outstanding men and I want to thank them. We also had a ton of people stop by and admire the game which we very much appreciated. This game was an out of control colossus!

As of this writing I am not sure this game will see the light of day again or just head back to storage. The logistics for the game was like planning an actual military operation and really took a toll on me.

Well I hope you enjoy the pictures and always thanks for having a look.

Posted by Peter on 06 Feb 2024, 13:43

Thanks for sharing these very nice pictures with us. :thumbup:

Storage? Can't you find a place where you can display this as something permanent? Out of sight would be such a waste. :(
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Rich W on 07 Feb 2024, 23:53

That is one hell of a game Paul! I’m sure there were many admirers of this spectacle!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 08 Feb 2024, 14:58

Thanks Peter and Rich! Peter no where to display this monstrosity in plain sight. It will see the light of day in April at The Little Wars wargame convention.
Yes Rich we had lots of people stop by for a look which was very gratifying to say the least.

Posted by MABO on 22 Mar 2024, 17:13

I am really late, but I would like to add my respect for this huge gamingtable.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress