Gallery

A Birthday Present

Posted by steve_pickstock on 28 May 2024, 21:14

Recently our little club has begun Playing Wings of Glory (or Wings of War, as it was) again. We've not played in such a long time and as the game not in production at the moment, it's been fun trying to get it all together to play.

Anyway, my mate Dave got quite enthusiastic about Manfred von Richthofen's Red triplane. I don't have one and neither does the other player who actually owns models, and at £90 on eBay (at the cheapest) it was highly unlikely we'd be adding one to the collection.

Enter another friend with a 3d resin printer, we acquired some free stl files, and I sat down to make one up for Dave's birthday.

First up was to place a 2 x 2mm neodymium magnet in the fuselage under the pilot. We like to use 120mm clear acrylic rods for flight stands. The original models have a peg under the fuselage that fits into a holder at the top. These are made by Litko who also do appropriately sized bases. For non-standard aircraft like Dave's and some SE5A's that I have, I put magnets on the top of these rods. I also added a magnet to the original style of flying peg so if he wants to, Dave can use it with these as well.

Next was the paint job. I masked off the white areas and I painted the Red Baron's 'plane - well - red!

Transfers (or decals) were custom printed, while they're not the prettiest Dave is more than happy.

Then I donated one of the original WoW/WoG bases and the set of the flying pegs.

Last of all I boxed it up in a box that looks like a book. threw in a spare set of D manouevre cards and a plane ID card.
Image]

And, yeah he seems pleased with it.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Ochoin on 30 May 2024, 00:19

You are a good man, Steve.

....could I convince you it's my birthday next week??? :-D

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by steve_pickstock on 30 May 2024, 16:03

Ochoin wrote:You are a good man, Steve.

....could I convince you it's my birthday next week??? :-D

donald

Please don't say this too loud - I have a reputation to uphold. Which is why the answer to your question is No, I'm afraid. :-D.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Rich W on 01 Jun 2024, 10:39

Very nice Steve!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 07 Jun 2024, 18:16

Lucky Dave! :-D

Looks perfect Steve! :yeah:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Gallery