Gallery

Panzerstellung

Posted by panzerman825 on 10 Mar 2021, 08:00

Well, I had the Meng Panther turret leftover from my Bergepanther build, so this is what I came up with. I have always been intrigued by static defenses during WW2. That haunting photo of a Panther pillbox dug into the street of Berlin comes to mind.

This diorama was inspired by an old article I read in the now defunct Military Modeler magazine.

I simplified the commander's hatch and made an opening loader's hatch. I know the shell ejection port I made is on the wrong side. Ooops!!!

Making the bird the lone protagonist of the pillbox adds to the comedy of this "TOON" build. The narration of the scene would go like this....."What is it, Hanns? Enemy tanks! No, Kurt. It's a yellow bellied, sap sucker."

Like before, the figures have 1/48 scale bodies and 1/35 scale heads. The figures and spent shells are from Tamiya,

The ground work is layered styrofoam with glued down Woodland Scenics turf/ballast. The trees are twigs from a holiday wreath. Oh, the bird is a Tamiya piece.

Again thanks for viewing. I hope you found this enjoyable. I am glad I didn't let the turret go to waste. Hahahahahaha! Bill
panzerman825  United States of America

Posted by Harry Faversham on 10 Mar 2021, 10:58

Love it, well done mate!

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Peter on 10 Mar 2021, 13:21

This is a wonderfull and funny work of you Bill! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Wiking on 10 Mar 2021, 16:34

I am not really a fan of this toon tanks.
Saw a lot of it in the past.

But your idea is so simple as good.
And yes the "action" with the bird is TOP !!!
I like that.

:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 10 Mar 2021, 19:58

The whole value of tanks is that they could move fast in big groups and defeat larger forces by cutting off supply lines.

So then why did the Germans build a bunch of static defenses after they proved obsolete during the battle of France?

The toon thing is not really my bag, either, but you have done a good and funny job with this dio.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 11 Mar 2021, 18:33

I like the whole scene, but I love how you have used the figures….by the way….very good adaption of the "telo mimetico"
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zirrian on 11 Mar 2021, 23:03

Bluefalchion wrote:
So then why did the Germans build a bunch of static defenses after they proved obsolete during the battle of France?

Only as a last resort, or when they had basically "leftover" turrets of repaired/converted tanks, I remember turrets of French tanks used as static pillboxes/bunkers in Normandy, and the above mentioned turrets in Berlin.

Also, if you run out of fuel, the tank becomes a pillbox, and the Germans had this issue a lot...so instead of letting it go to waste, they could lower the silhouette into the turret only.
zirrian  Hungary

Return to Gallery