Miniatures News

REVELL Germany has been taken over!

Posted by David O'Brien on 20 Feb 2012, 20:49

Most/All US 1/72nd figure products are manufactured in China and as far as I am concerned are very welcome - HaT, Pegasus, Imex may you prosper.

A US radio control company doesn't on the face of it seem to have a lot in common with Revell Germany (except of course their own R/C stuff). A pity Hornby (Airfix) didn't step in and hive off the kits and figures segment. Marriages made in hell can work out but not often.

I don't mind the R/C tanks or boats and such but R/C aircraft that infest tranquil spaces with noise pollution should be banned or limited to 1 hour every February 30th, April 31st etc. R/C gliders are marginally better but still give the unwary a nasty crease in the cranium. Very much a "Marmite" hobby- you love it or want to take a 12 bore to it (I sound like JC -Jeremy Clarkson that is :shock: ).

The USA is a big country it can take it.

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by The Observer on 20 Feb 2012, 21:41

I think most of the common figure producers have made good and really odd sets-also Imex,also Pegasus and also Revell-and also HäT,Caesar etc etc - it depends on what the customer seeks for-the Conquistadores and Aztecs from Revell were/are quite good-but only serves a special interest....otherwise there are many many sets from Revell,which obtainted good or very good reviews from PSR for sculpting and poses-thats a fact one cannot deny......
But, hey , this is not to judge over good or bad sets or useful or not useful sets-we may have to think about the future of our hobby, when -maybe - bigger producers will cancel or shorten their production line .?.?.?
The Observer  

Posted by PDA on 23 Feb 2012, 00:15

Guynemer wrote:Oh very well done Revell; you've prostituted yourself away. Gone are the days when we were able to say "Revell is good quality; it's West German".

I'm really sorry if this hurts anyone but the US aren't even half as good as Europeans in manufacturing for this hobby, save for a few sculptors of 54mm and upwards. I'd rather Revell closed down than sell off to a company outside of Europe, it's not just a matter of quality but one of pride and culture. Germany has been the heart of this hobby since medieval times when flat figures first emerged. So Revell should do the honourable thing and host a hobby equivalent of Scapa Flow.

Discontinuing the 30YW, 7YW and various other sets in favour of Matchbox crap? We should be relying more on smaller companies and individuals such as Valdemar, Germania and Strelets. Not HaT Industrie though, they can go bust and live on the streets for all I care.

From now on I'll buy Revell second hand so they don't get my money :angry3:

Bani
"After starting the original U.S. company in 1945, Revell founder Lou Glaser established the German operation in 1956."... "...in 2006, Revell Germany was spun off as a separate company."... "Hobbico acquired the Revell-Monogram plastic model kit lines in 2007"... "“We are pleased to reunite the Revell brand under one ownership,” said Wayne Hemming, President of Hobbico."

from http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=9871 dated 15 February 2012.
PDA  England

Posted by leifkarl1112 on 23 Feb 2012, 14:49

Who can tell what will happen to these companies until they make their corporate statement of intent. I for one, will be very sad to see any manufacturer go to the wall, not only is it peoples livlihoods, but also market choice that will go, and I would be very sad to never have the option to buy what ever takes my fancy disappear and be left with a couple of manufacturers, who may not develope the figures that I would like.

Diversity is the key to this hobby's survival, and unfortunately it probably does not make enough money for these companies.

There, I have thrown my two pence worth in! 8)

Karl.
leifkarl1112  United Kingdom

Posted by vellek on 23 Feb 2012, 23:17

T. Dürrschmidt wrote:But we will have to accept that we can´t buy 50 figs for 7 Euro in the future.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Cuchulainn on 24 Feb 2012, 00:20

One of the great things about a forum like this is that you correspond with like hobbyists and become friends over a hobby you both enjoy, with no comments about anyone's nationality. :-D We don't even care if the other guy is ugly (because we can't see him :lol:)!

Some of the comments in this subject have been in poor taste... I hope we refrain from this in the future. :nono: Someone who happened to live in the US bought something we love from someone who happened to live in Germany. No one forced either one to do it, and we shouldn't project anything on it. I live in one (US) and was born in the other (Germany), and my family is from neither one (Ireland)! Yet I love them all.

Anyone concerned in how this will affect the offerings in the future (like me!) needs to do what is suggested... contact the new owner and tell them your wishes, and that you belong to this forum and other forums, too.
Cuchulainn  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by musketier on 24 Feb 2012, 04:25

Cuchulainn wrote:One of the great things about a forum like this is that you correspond with like hobbyists and become friends over a hobby you both enjoy, with no comments about anyone's nationality. :-D We don't even care if the other guy is ugly (because we can't see him :lol:)!

Some of the comments in this subject have been in poor taste... I hope we refrain from this in the future. :nono: Someone who happened to live in the US bought something we love from someone who happened to live in Germany. No one forced either one to do it, and we shouldn't project anything on it. I live in one (US) and was born in the other (Germany), and my family is from neither one (Ireland)! Yet I love them all.

Anyone concerned in how this will affect the offerings in the future (like me!) needs to do what is suggested... contact the new owner and tell them your wishes, and that you belong to this forum and other forums, too.

I think you said it very well.
musketier  United States of America

Previous page

Return to Miniatures News