Miniatures Talk

Saved from the dump

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Aug 2023, 08:23

Been helping brother-in-law cleaning out his house and found these that were going to the dump.

A quick look says Airfix and Atlantic. Never had any Atlantic so it will be fun to go through this! :-D
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 07 Aug 2023, 13:31

Dump 'em out and take some more pics so we can have a look! Please.

P.S. Nice save.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 07 Aug 2023, 14:44

Bluefalchion wrote:Dump 'em out and take some more pics so we can have a look! Please.

P.S. Nice save.

I agree with Aaron! ;-)

Give us a nice update of what you have saved from the dump.

I see Atlantic Sioux and Apache figures. And a lot of Airfix figures, Union Cavalry, Indians, WW2 Japanese/Commandos/RAF/Germans and a lot hidden ones. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 07 Aug 2023, 16:39

Bluefalchion wrote:Dump 'em out and take some more pics so we can have a look! Please.
P.S. Nice save.

Peter wrote:...I agree with Aaron! ;-)
Give us a nice update of what you have saved from the dump.
I see Atlantic Sioux and Apache figures. And a lot of Airfix figures, Union Cavalry, Indians, WW2 Japanese/Commandos/RAF/Germans and a lot hidden ones. ;-)

I agree with Aaron and Peter. What a fascinating finding, Susofrick! I admit that I envy you, hahaha. :tongue:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Aug 2023, 08:52

There must be something wrong with me. I can't see any individual figures I need, yet I WANT this collection.
Figures just have this allure.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Aug 2023, 09:41

Okay! I took away all the Atlantics to see what was under. The Atlantics seem to be two native american camps, some golddiggers, some buffalo and some cowboys. A bit annoying that he said that there could be more. Somewhere. It's a big house and a lot of stuff so if I'm lucky I can find more.

And the rest is Airfix Napoleonic French Artillery, Some horse from Napoleonic British Hussars, Airfix RAF, Airfix Union Infantry, Airfix French Foreign Legion (2nd version), Airifix British Commandos (1st version), Airfix WWII German infantry (2nd version); Airifix US Cavalry, Airfix Japanese Infantry, Airifix Native Americans, maybe some more. Quite typical mix of figures.

Manolito from Airfix' High Chaparall

And this guy is a bit of a mystery. Looks like Atlantic:

I had all those Airfix, except the Natives (which my younger brother had) and The High Chaparall set that my parents probably thought was unnecessary since I already had the cowboys. And there wasn't such a big difference.
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 08 Aug 2023, 11:01

That's an Atlantic seaman: http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=879

Nice collection and I even see a 54mm Britains Indian! :love:

PS: all good with you with the nasty weather you're having there? :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Aug 2023, 08:36

Thanks all and Peter for solving the mystery guy. With the weather we had we had a very good ooportunity to start going through things. It's a big house and he claims he never have thrown anything. And we believe him! Allright! I couldn't see how the figures were lying all over and all mixed up so I sorted them! Well, the Atlantics went together in another box. And there are figures missing. They can have been lost during the years or they can be somewhere else in the house. The Union set was almost complete except the officer. I still have the whole set, but when I was about 8 or 9 I thought the officer could look better without a hat. So I cut it off! And that's the way he still looks.

And the odd lot: Three Atlantic seamen, two German WWII infantry ((2nd version) and one mortar guy from Airfix WWI British infantry.

Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Bluefalchion on 09 Aug 2023, 14:36

Is he planning to sell the house and move? Or just got inspired to get organized?

I hope you are able to find the missing figures. Those Atlantic navy sailors look pretty cool. IIRC, they are a bit small for 1:72 scale.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 09 Aug 2023, 18:09

Bluefalchion wrote:Is he planning to sell the house and move? Or just got inspired to get organized?

I hope you are able to find the missing figures. Those Atlantic navy sailors look pretty cool. IIRC, they are a bit small for 1:72 scale.

In fact these Atlantic figures are 1/76. Atlantic small figures are smaller and the odd thing is that their big figures are bigger as the usual 54 mm. They are around 60 mm. But they are nice! All of them! ;-) :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 09 Aug 2023, 20:48

Co-incidentally, I was in Reine on the Lofoten Islands about 2 weeks ago. There was a junk shop there & we went inside .The wares were mostly reasonably priced but, for us, not desirable. I saw a packet of Esci WW2 figures for a stupid price & although I did not need them, for a few seconds contemplated buying them.

I'm telling you, this hobby is a type of disease!

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Rich W on 09 Aug 2023, 22:51

Excellent save Susofrick!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Aug 2023, 10:23

Huge thanks. The reason for the house cleaning is that he (just as some of the rest of us) is not geting younger. Even though he is younger (if that is possible) than me he feels the age coming and he is not that well. So, eventually he will move. And it is good to get as much done as possible before that happens.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 16 Aug 2023, 15:01

Oh that's a good find! Saved from the dump!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by MABO on 04 Sep 2023, 19:58

I am late replying but: Congrats to this find. Reminds me of something comparable on a fleemarket in France. A big bag of Atlantic for less than 5 Euro.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Sep 2023, 00:00

A box full of what boys dreams were once made of,
back in thier younger days of gleeful spun out play.
:coffee: i just loved seeing them all again.BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 05 Sep 2023, 07:57

MABO wrote:I am late replying but: Congrats to this find. Reminds me of something comparable on a fleemarket in France. A big bag of Atlantic for less than 5 Euro.

If I go to a fleemarket here I'll probably only find old insmoked furniture, totally scratched vinyls and coffeesoaked books. I am a little envious, but then I think of all the space I'm saving by NOT buying anything. :-D
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by MABO on 05 Sep 2023, 08:14

Susofrick wrote:but then I think of all the space I'm saving by NOT buying anything. :-D

Words of wisdom :oops:
MABO  Europe

Return to Miniatures Talk