Gallery

The Rocket Troop

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 21 Jan 2024, 17:01

The British used rockets designed by Sir William Congreve, comptroller of the Woolwich Laboratory. Prior to Waterloo rockets were used at Copenhagen where 40,000 were fired, in the Peninsula and at Leipzig. The Duke of Wellington was however suspicious of their value and wrote from Spain to the Secretary of War saying:

"My dear Lord, I have received your letter of the 11th, regarding the Rocket Brigade. The only reason why I wished to have it was to get the horses; but as we are to have them at all events, I am perfectly satisfied. I do not want to set fire to any town, and I do not know any other use of the rockets."

By 1813 the rockets were available in three classes:Heavy Siege Rockets with incendiary carcass weighing over 135kg and 7.6-8.2m sticks; Medium Siege Rockets had a 24-42 pdr (10.9-19.1kg) warhead of shot or shell, a 4.5-6.1m stick and a range of about 3000m; Light Rockets (6-18 pdr (2.7-8.2kg) of shot, case-shot or shell) had 2.4-4.3m stick and a range of about 180 metres.

The rocket cases were made from sheet iron and filled with gunpowder as propellant. The warheads were attached to wooden sticks of differing lengths according to the size of rockets. They could be fired from frames, from specially constructed vehicles or propelled along the ground.

The commander of the Rocket Troop at Waterloo was Captain Whinyates who had served in the Peninsula. At Albuhera, he commanded the half-troop which was attached to the cavalry on the right of the British line. It was here that some of the severest fighting took place. He was mentioned in despatches for his part in the defeat of Lallemand’s cavalry at Ribera on 24th July, 1812. At Waterloo he had three horses shot under him, was struck by a round shot on the leg, and severely wounded in the left arm towards the close of the day.

Wellington only allowed one rocket troop to take part in the Waterloo campaign. Whinyates Troop was equipped with six 12, 18 and 24 pounder rockets.

During the retreat from Quatre Bras, Captain Mercer described their performance thus: "The order to fire [rockets] was given - port/fire applied - the fidgety missile begins to sputter out sparks and wiggle its tail for a second and then darts forth straight up the road. A gun stands right in its way, between the wheels of which the shell in the head of the rocket bursts, the (French) gunners fall right and left, and, those of the other guns taking to their heels ... our rocketeers kept shooting off rockets, none of which ever followed the course of the first: most of them, on arriving about the middle of the ascent, took a vertical direction, whilst some actually turned back upon ourselves - and one of these, following me like a squib until its shells exploded putting me in more danger than all the fire of the enemy ..."

At Waterloo, the Duke had ordered the Troop to substitute 6lb guns for most of the rockets. Eventually, Wellington relented and allowed Whinyates to take 800 rounds as well as the guns. The Rocket Troop had been held in reserve at Waterloo. An account of their actions states the following:

"A party of horse artillery proceeded under Captain Dansey, along the Charleroi Road, to the front of the centre of the Anglo-allied line, and came into action with rockets near the farm of La Haye Sainte, leaving its two guns in the rear under Lt. Wright. Capt. Dansey very soon received a severe wound, which obliged him to retire; and the party, after firing a few rockets, fell back a little to where its horses were standing. It was then commanded by a Sergeant (Daniel Dunnett), who, on perceiving the advance of the nearest French column towards the farm, dismounted his men as coolly and deliberately as if exercising on Woolwich Common, though without any support whatsoever, laid rockets on the ground, and discharged them in succession into the mass, every one of them appearing to take effect. The advance of the column was checked, and not resumed until Dunnett, having expended all his rockets, retired with his party to rejoin the guns in the rear"

Whinyates described his actions at Waterloo as follows: "I was given the order that the Cavalry was going to advance, and that I was to move forward. Colonel Macdonald of the Horse Artillery came up and ordered me to leave my Guns and advance with the Rocket Sections, which I did, down the slope in front of the position.After firing some discharges of rockets I received an order to rejoin the position. I was with
the Troop in the same position from the beginning of the Action until the total rout of the Enemy.”

More on my blog here: http://generalpicton.blogspot.com

This is the last I'll be doing before my exhibition. Hope you like them!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 21 Jan 2024, 18:08

This exhibition is going to be for a privileged few, regrettably I shall not be one of them, but I do hope that those present will fully appreciate the incredible labour of love that stands before them.
I think you could hold a photography competition to get everyone present to contribute their best pictures to honour the magnificent reproduction of the Battle of Waterloo that you (and your co-operators) have worked so diligently to piece together.
These British Horse Artillerymen surely wear one of the most beautiful uniforms of the Allied Forces and they have been meticulously reproduced in all their splendour, moving into position as well as firing their cannons and rockets. Hip hip hooray!
Ps/ And looking at the sheepskin saddlecloths of your Lifeguards I’m going to have to change the edging colour of mine as mine are edged in red, not blue!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 21 Jan 2024, 18:19

Hi KB, there were two regiments of life guards, one with blue edgings the other with red, so you are not wrong!

Posted by despertaferro on 22 Jan 2024, 13:05

Amazing job... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Makes me feel cheap... :oops: :-D

All the best
Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by Minuteman on 22 Jan 2024, 21:24

A full and fascinating account of the composition of this unique RHA battery and its actions at Waterloo. Rocket-artillery, while not 'new' as such in 1815, had yet to achieve a level of reliability to allow it to be trusted by those doing the firing....and hence the rather 'hit or miss' nature of things with Captain Whinyates' battery and his valiant rocketeers.

Great modelling, both of this RHA unit and the other units shown in this small section of the diorama.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 22 Jan 2024, 23:37

Many thanks Minuteman and indeed to other commentators. I have a question for forum members: mounted Rocket Battery troopers are often shown with what appears to be a lance with a light blue and white pennant. Is it a lance, a marker pole or a rocket?

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Egbert on 23 Jan 2024, 08:49

Overwhelming job...that's fantastic! :drool:
It's your incredible work that makes it possible to get a better imagine the extent of the deployment of the different armies and units.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 23 Jan 2024, 11:25

Thank you Egbert, much appreciated!

Posted by Ochoin on 23 Jan 2024, 13:34

Captain Sibourne wrote:M. I have a question for forum members: mounted Rocket Battery troopers are often shown with what appears to be a lance with a light blue and white pennant. Is it a lance, a marker pole or a rocket?

My dear Captain, I gather from those impeccably researched histories - the Sharpe novels - that although looking like a lance were in fact marker poles, presumably to make markers for ranges & placed prior to battle.

Are these illustrations helpful?

https://www.treefrogtreasures.com/p-217 ... ivate.aspx

http://fuentesdeonoro.blogspot.com/2011 ... roops.html

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 23 Jan 2024, 18:05

Thank you Donald, I think they are in fact the Rocket polls.

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Jan 2024, 22:30

Wonderful stuff as always.

According to Knotel, who is usually accurate, the poles are a group of four rocket poles, held in a bucket holster with four warheads carried as a pair each side of the saddle.

The pennants were an addition by the commander.

This makes sense as a source of ready use ammunition would be very useful.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 23 Jan 2024, 23:12

Thanks Chris, I've updated my blog to reflect your kind input.

Posted by Rich W on 25 Jan 2024, 00:29

Not much I can add to all the comments already made! Wow!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 26 Jan 2024, 16:16

At that time rockets were indeed a risky bussiness on the battlefield! I like it how this unit is presented. Real nice work! :love:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Feb 2024, 20:31

A superb job, Captain Sibourne, both for the fantastic figures and scenery and for the interesting historical introduction. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 18 Feb 2024, 12:28

Dear captain,
This is another nice addition to all those other great "part-dioramas" you have already presented here of that gigantic project you and your associates are working on. Not only are the photos always a feast for the eyes, the background information you provide is also very educational and interesting for other Napoleonic addicts like me.
The fact that there are people like Mr. Dodson who can fill in some gaps in our knowledge only makes this blog site even more interesting.
thanks for sharing and keep them coming.
Patrick.
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sberry on 18 Feb 2024, 18:04

A fantastic work, presented in excellent photos! Everything looks so utterly realistic, it could be movie stills - but from a much, much better movie than this absurd piece by Ridley Scott...
sberry  Germany

Return to Gallery