Gallery

Invading Britannia - 43 AD

Posted by k.b. on 30 Oct 2023, 13:24

WOW Iceman have just accessed this thread for the second time but I confess the first time i did so was on my phone. At first sight (on a small screen) the images didn't do justice to your terrific diorama. However, now on my PC your work comes to life and really is much more impressive.
From the mixing and matching of different manufacturers, your extremely impressive basework, to your painting of body paint and finally the photography i love the whole thing.
If i had to find fault I think that after such impressive defensive earhworks were put up one might have expected a greater density of defenders - in which case you would have needed more Romans to make an attack viable. Put plainly I think I'd have loved to see more soldiers scrapping it out!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Iceman1964 on 30 Oct 2023, 19:27

thanks all, guys :-)

K.B. : from a practical point of view let's say that for 71 figures I spent 10 months, fitting more figures would have been exhausting :-D
Anyway to find a "logical justification" I can try with the fact that it's a secondary entry (it's too small for wheeled trucks and after the entry there is a sudden turn with rocks, uncomfortable for a continuous passage), the majority of the defenders were on the main gate on the other side of the village, and the surprise attack of the romans was against a limited number of warriors, that's why the man with the celtic trumphet is calling for help... the britons are now running from the main gate to fill the gap, the avanguarde are the warriors coming from the left. but on the right (external side of the wall) the second wave of the legion is preparing for the decisive attack, just out of the diorama border.....

something good for Simon Scarrow books ? :xd: :-D
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by k.b. on 30 Oct 2023, 20:07

Aaaaah that’s it. A perfectly justifiable explanation. Silly me!

NB/ I needed to use the same imagination I use when I’m fighting my own little battles !
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 30 Oct 2023, 21:59

Wow, what a great siege scene. So different from the usual medieval settings. I like it a lot!
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Xantippos on 20 Jan 2024, 10:24

Great diorama, so full of life. Love the variety of figurines. My favourite is the gaul "dancing" over the shields! In my opinion looks a bit more like if it was in Gaul, as if it was Britain, it would look all wet surely :P .
Xantippos  

Previous page

Return to Gallery