Gallery

Mont St Jean Farmhouse

Posted by k.b. on 26 Nov 2023, 13:15

Have just this minute finished looking at these latest photos on your thread (for the umpteenth time, may I add) and have just now realised the beautiful weathering treatment of the farm buildings themselves. Absolutely brilliantly done….. the ageing pink and the dirtying of the walls has for some reason been my main focal point today. On my last visit here it was the fascinating story of the Cumberland Hussars. Your work is truly monumental Captain. Congratulations to you and your helper(s). I am truly in awe of you.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 02 Dec 2023, 19:32

I've now just about finished the Mont St Jean section of my Waterloo diorama by adding another 120 figures. Hope you enjoy the results:

Outside the east gate:

Burial pits:

French prisoners:

I'm reasonably pleased with the brick and mortar effect:

The ground hasn't completely dried out so the white halo effect will go:

Close ups:

Don't like the join in the road:

French prisoners looking doleful:

Dead horses dragged to burial pit:

Side gate:

More on my blog here: http://generalpicton.blogspot.com

Next, I'm going to complete two French battalions assaulting La Haye Sainte.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 03 Dec 2023, 12:59

When you posted the first pictures I was tempted to say it seemed too orderly but refrained knowing how much work had already gone in to the piece. I must say it now has that massive confusion that "feels" right for such a scene. It was total chaos I'm sure and that is now evident. Kudos to Liam for all his efforts. Not to nitpick but I have doubts about the ability of a man or even a team of 2 men to drag a dead horse or of the manpower being available to perform such a task with the battle raging on. I do understand the reasons for including it despite it being a task that was done in the days following the battle.
Cheers,
Bessiere
ps: have you seen the new Kozak printed figures? All French cavalry types, guard engineers, sapeurs w/cuirass and helmets? Really nice figs, I got myself a bunch but some very fragile bits.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 03 Dec 2023, 15:21

Thanks David, you make a very good point about the weight of the dead horses. I think we can be sure that burial took place in the days after the battle, but I wanted to tie it in with the work of Waterloo Uncovered. I'm not sure I have any more men 'taking the strain' but will look some out. I actually think they would probably have used draught horses to drag equestrian corpses as it would probably have taken eight men to drag that weight. Thanks also for the info about Kodak!

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 03 Dec 2023, 15:22

Kozak, rather.

Posted by Bessiere on 03 Dec 2023, 21:20

There are some major issues w/ the Kozak figures I describe here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26610&p=295369#p295369

Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 04 Dec 2023, 11:52

...... and here i am thinking to myself why would any figure company name themselves after Telly Savalas? Ah, no ...... that was Kojak! ( Sorry gents, couldn't resist) :-D :oops:

But seriously Captain this sector of the battlefield will surely be one of the highlights of the entire display. Congratulations once again. Monumental!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 30 Dec 2023, 18:42

Incredible! That diorama will be a series of highlights... every time my mouth falls open in amazement because of the combination of figures, composition, painting, conversions...
I really don't know what to say anymore...except:
thanks for sharing and keeping them coming
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Previous page

Return to Gallery