Gallery

Talavera dawn attack - the armies

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 Apr 2023, 18:01

As some of you may know, I have steadily been painting soldiers over the past couple of years working towards a series of Talavera scenarios we planned to play. One of the real pleasures in wargaming is just seeing all of your figures en masse. As I had almost all of my French and British toy soldiers out of the cupboard, organizing for our game tomorrow, I took the opportunity to photograph them. I have a few more photos on my blog https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2023/04/talavera-getting-ready-for-main-event.html with the names of their associated units, but these give the idea - I think about 1200 figures on the table. The first group is the French, the second the British and King German's Legion. The last picture is the table set up and ready to go.

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 22 Apr 2023, 20:42

One word: Impressive! :shock:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bessiere on 22 Apr 2023, 21:32

My best compliments on both your fabulous armies. We have watched you diligently working away the last several years delighting in each new and may I add unique formation. Your painting and basing is always first class and this is your pay-off. Seeing them all together ready for a royal rumble and perhaps a stolen eagle. Very, very impressive, cohesive and complete. A truly first class exposition in the grand manner.
Salut!
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 Apr 2023, 22:14

Thanks, Peter and Bessiere. Yes, many of these units have been involved in bits and pieces for the smaller scenarios we have played leading up to this but it is exciting to see them all together on the table.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by k.b. on 22 Apr 2023, 23:43

Breathtaking Bill to see all of your work culminating in this fabulous turn out of troops. I find myself trying to choose my favourites….. up to now I’m torn between your French Hussars and your British Light Dragoons. Absolutely love these Brits wearing tarletons. Am not familiar with these figures but they look mighty impressive lined up em masse and there are some lovely poses among them. What make are they Bill if you don’t mind me asking?
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Ochoin on 22 Apr 2023, 23:52

So very, very impressive. Obviously a labour of love and a delight to the eye.

I very much hope you will indulge us with detailed & photographed battle reports.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Apr 2023, 00:49

Hi k.b. and Donald,

Thanks for the kind words.
k.b., the British light infantry are the HaT figures. Not the cleanest sculpts in the world, a bit blobby, but there are things about the poses and kit that I like.The Hussars are Italeri, some really lovely figures there.
And yes, Donald, the battle will be well documented, certainly!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by MABO on 23 Apr 2023, 05:27

Thanks for realizing these pictures with all your figures. After following your paintjobs for some time now, it is really great to see the army lined up. I envie you for your discipline working on these armies. I am constantly distracted by new ideas or just the joy of starting a new project. But did I understandy you correctly, that your work has been done in the near future? This will open the door to a new long running project doesn't it?
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Apr 2023, 09:39

I think the term ‘ toy soldiers’ is rather unflattering with the amount of time , research and work involved to create your armies in such a style.

Excellent as always and the forthcoming battle will be good to see.

Your mounting ADC looks a bit energetic!

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 23 Apr 2023, 09:50

A really impressive and splendid array! Both armies look very good indeed, and clearly represent many hundreds of hours of meticulous planning, research, collecting, modelling and painting. Well done Bill, and thanks for sharing these pictures. They are truly an inspiration. :yeah:
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Apr 2023, 13:03

Thanks again, all, for the nice comments.
MABO, yes this project is done but I still have a cupboard full of figures to paint! I’m hoping to return to the Spanish for a bit - rich ground there! - and increase my Portuguese army so I can tackle some of the later Anglo-Portuguese battles. And I have wanted to paint a second battalion of Highlanders for ages! So plans…
Chris, I use “toys” because I do love to play games with them. And yes, that one French ADC, from that angle, looks like he is going to do a header right off the front of the horse! :xd:

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Kekso on 24 Apr 2023, 12:16

Are you sure you have enough soldiers? :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Peter on 26 Apr 2023, 15:02

Kekso wrote:Are you sure you have enough soldiers? :xd:

That is a very stupid question my friend! How can someone ever have enough soldiers? Never! :xd:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by tullo on 26 Apr 2023, 17:44

wau super beautiful I like extremely well
respect
tullo  Germany

Posted by Santi Pérez on 27 Apr 2023, 20:11

Peter wrote:One word: Impressive! :shock:

You're lucky, Peter, you were able to find a word. I, on the other hand, am speechless at such sights. :mrgreen:

We had already admired the different Bill's units one by one, but to see them as a whole is really amazing. :drool: :drool: :drool:

You've made good use of the past couple of years, Bill. Now it's time to enjoy all that work. Go on with it! ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Kekso on 30 Apr 2023, 10:30

Peter wrote:That is a very stupid question my friend!

And somehow after all these years you've expected a not-stupid comment from me? :xd: :xd: :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Iceman1964 on 01 May 2023, 18:03

I can't find new words to add, only emoticons :o :-D :xd: :-) ;-) ....
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Peter on 01 May 2023, 21:32

Kekso wrote:
And somehow after all these years you've expected a not-stupid comment from me? :xd: :xd: :xd:

After you're married? No! :mrgreen: :joker:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Gallery