Gallery

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862

Posted by tullo on 04 Nov 2021, 15:28

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :thumbup: ;-)
tullo  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Dec 2021, 18:29

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862, daybreak to 6.15 AM

Timeline. Daybreak to 6.15 AM

All initial dispositions are taken from Ezra A Carmens book, The Maryland Campaign Vol.2 and his extensively researched maps recorded for the Library of Congress.

Major General Joseph Hooker, commanding the Army of the Potomac’s First Corps, having slept at Joseph Poffenberger’s farm’s barn, north of the North wood, assembles his staff as his troops prepare to attack in the early morning light.

After overnight rain, the weather has cleared with sun and heat predicted.

The Confederate command is essentially split into two elements with Major General James Longstreet commanding the right and Major General Thomas J Jackson on the left.

Confederate troops under Brigadier Robert Toombs take position on the heights commanding the Rhorbach bridge as an early mist from the Antietam creek dissipates .

Elements of the Washington Artillery take position on Cemetery Hill in front of Sharpsburg, covering the Confederate centre.

General Robert E. Lee and staff are also positioned on Cemetery Hill having travelled from his headquarters on the outskirts of town. The Reel barn is in the distance.

Major General Daniel H Hill has deployed his division in the Confederate centre along a natural defensive position known as the sunken lane.

Elements of the Confederate artillery reserve, Colonel S.D .Lee commanding, are positioned in front of the Dunker church.

Major General Thomas ‘Stonewall’ Jackson supervises the deployment.

Ewells Division, Brigadier A.R. Lawton commanding are deployed from the Mumma farm and the East Woods at right angles to the main Confederate line.

Furthermore, Jackson’s Division Brigadier John R Jones is deployed around the West Woods as a continuation of this line.

On the Confederate left Major General James E.B. Stuart has positioned his cavalry in a defensive role in the West Woods extending towards the Nicodemus heights.

Confederate skirmishers in the Miller cornfield await the Union onslaught.

Union skirmishers from the First Corps emerge from the North wood and begin dismantling the snake fencing prior to the Federal attack.

The action commences…….
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Iceman1964 on 27 Dec 2021, 19:22

Marvellous preface , ready to start , can't wait :-D !!!
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Egbert on 28 Dec 2021, 13:48

The battle begins and you fascinate us again with the matching storry ...
Unbelievable with which density you recapture the atmosphere.
The whole thing is once again a thrilling film that I am incredibly looking forward to continuing.
Thank you very much my friend for your efforts!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Wellington2008 on 28 Dec 2021, 17:46

Very nice!
Wellington2008  Germany

Posted by Rich W on 28 Dec 2021, 20:24

Congratulations again Chris. The groundwork really does look brilliant.I look forward to the next instalment!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Patrick71 on 30 Dec 2021, 18:05

What a scenery capturing the atmosphere!
Again, I sometimes think I'm watching pictures of a re-enactment.
Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to the battle scenes.
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Chariobaude on 31 Dec 2021, 00:11

i'm speechless, WOW !!!
Please continue, please !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Minuteman on 31 Dec 2021, 11:43

More extremely fine and cinematic photography! Great to see this amazing project coming to fruition. Well done!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by John Simmons on 31 Dec 2021, 15:18

Thanks, Chris, for this wonderful holiday gift. We've gotten to see your figure conversions, buildings, and scenery in bits and drabs as you've produced them. But seeing them all come together like this is a genuine pleasure and a real treat for the eye. I'm waiting eagerly to see the rest of your recreation of the bloodiest day in American history.

Best,
John
John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by Santi Pérez on 31 Dec 2021, 19:50

A fantastic introduction to the battle. It makes you want to see it and know more about it. Wonderful display and explanation, Chris. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 01 Jan 2022, 11:27

Patrick71 wrote:What a scenery capturing the atmosphere!
Again, I sometimes think I'm watching pictures of a re-enactment.

Minuteman wrote:More extremely fine and cinematic photography!

I totally agree!!
My best wishes for 2022!! :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Michael Robert on 02 Jan 2022, 12:28

Happy New Year, M Dodson
thrilling as ever!
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Jan 2022, 10:58

Thank you to everyone for their kind words.

The project has taken a long time to research, plan, build and finally bring to fruition but it is now bearing fruit.

I am moving six hundred troops of Hookers First Corps onto the field and have started photographing the action as it commences.

Lots to do.

Happy New Year.

Chris

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Jan 2022, 13:05

Great presentation Chris,and artful display!
i know what it is to edit worthy photographs from hundreds taken,and so thank you for your input here. To see the end result is good but i realise the cost involved always. Greetings to all involved. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Jan 2022, 14:43

Thank you Mr B for your kind words.

I used to take hundreds ( and still do) of pictures but by linking my camera to my I pad as a monitor I can more easily spot bayonets etc sticking out of heads due to the camera angle, people falling off horses etc.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,

Chris

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 05 Jan 2022, 16:26

C M Dodson wrote:Thank you Mr B for your kind words.

I used to take hundreds ( and still do) of pictures but by linking my camera to my I pad as a monitor I can more easily spot bayonets etc sticking out of heads due to the camera angle, people falling off horses etc.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,

Chris

Interesting!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Jan 2022, 10:48

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862 6.15 AM to 6.30AM

Timeline 6.15 to 6.30 AM

Overview looking north from the Smoketown road. The Miller farm and buildings are in the centre view, the East wood to the right and the Nicodemus heights in the far left. Captain Pelham’s artillery smoke can be observed.

Major General Joseph Hooker commanding the Union First Corps is advancing south against the Confederate left flank, along the Hagerstown pike. His objective is the Dunkard church, located just off the Smoketown road by the West wood.

Brigadier General Abner Doubledays First Division is advancing along the Hagerstown pike.

Supporting him is Brigadier General George Meade’s Third Division which is advancing through the Miller farm area and cornfield.

On his left, advancing through the East wood, is the Second Division commanded by Brigadier General James Rickets.

Confederate artillery on the Nicodemus heights commanded by Captain John Pelham have commenced an enfilading fire upon the Union advance.

Contemporaneously elements of the Confederate reserve artillery, Colonel Stephen Lee are also disputing the advance.

Union artillery of the First corps is being deployed in order to respond to these threats.

Confederate skirmishers, contesting the federal advance are falling back through the Miller Cornfield.

Orders summoning the Twelfth Army Corps, Major General Joseph Mansfield commanding, have been issued as ‘fighting Joe’ spurs his troops onwards.

Posted by Bessiere on 12 Jan 2022, 13:17

How did I miss this?! Shame on me. Mr D, once again you have outdone yourself. Much like the LOTR movies did justice to the books bringing them to life you have done once again with a battle I am rather familiar with. So many acts of heroism and sacrifice that day it redefined warfare. Typical of large battles poorly written orders and miscommunication were to play major roles. Toombs was looking for glory to further his political career, McClellan too was willing to throw away men's lives to enlarge his ego. Pelham was raising hell that day as was Longstreet in his slipper, Gordon leading his troops with almost superhuman effort, Lee coolly looking on seemingly knowing exactly how the day would play out.
What I respect most is your ability to tell these stories accurately, your dedication to detail and respect for your subjects. You help to keep these incredible stories alive for us all; a gift we can never thank you enough for. Should you ever have a book made featuring your epic works set aside a copy for me. With humble admiration, Bessiere

PS: I did have a thought that you could video tape as you pan around various scenes adding narration and possibly backing music&effects to reach a much larger audience. Or you could create videos using your still images the same way.

Forgive me but was it Poffenberger or Paffenberger farm?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Jan 2022, 14:16

Hello Mr B and thank you for such a humbling post.

I am very touched by your words.

My mentor Wolfgang Meyer, keeps raising the bar every time I try to catch up, so there is more to do!

I still have a hankering for a web site but time seems to fly. I may link the pictures to form a stills show but that is for later as the action has only just started.

Do not forget that this is a refight so the historical narrative might not be quite the same.

However, only the units that actually fought on that awful day can be deployed and I have factored in the McCellan ‘dithering’ , so who knows what might result.

Stay tuned as they say!

The farm you refer to, where Joe Hooker slept in their barn was the Poffenberger farm.

This is the NPS link , an excellent reference resource.

Thank you again.

Best wishes,

Chris

https://www.nps.gov/anti/learn/historyc ... r-farm.htm

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery