Gallery

Fredericksburg 2

Posted by John Simmons on 06 Oct 2020, 16:15

I've just found some more photos of my recent Fredericksburg (Marye's Heights) game that I had forgotten I'd taken. They must have come from the very early part of the game, since they cover the initial river assault (and clearing of the lower town) and the first assault on the Heights by French's division. The only interesting thing about French's attack was that it involved (what I believe was) the only Zouave regiment to participate in the assault on the Heights. Getting a Zouave unit on an ACW battlefield always livens things up a little, I think. I hope I've done the pictures correctly this time.

John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by KenzoSato on 06 Oct 2020, 16:46

Fantastic.
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Oct 2020, 18:55

Lovely pictures and great to see them.

There is a real ‘feel’ of the period here despite the scenery being
Essentially Wargame scenery.

The town looks fabulous and the eye level shots look great.

I believe the 114 Pennsylvania was the Zouave unit at Fredericksburgs main event led by Mr Collis , part of Meades command.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Oct 2020, 19:20

Splendid images of a battle on the table-top in the 'grand manner'. Quite apart from the very well-painted and presented model soldiery, the scenery is quite superb: so many very good buildings and most convincing water. I like the detail of the amphibious unit in their 'assault boat' very much (I shouldn't say it, but there is something about the hull shape that reminds me of a DUKW!!?). The Zouaves also are excellent.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Emperor on 06 Oct 2020, 19:33

Nice and masive wargame...
Emperor  

Posted by Peter on 06 Oct 2020, 21:36

Wonderfull! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Are those bridgelayer boats from Franznap?
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 06 Oct 2020, 23:51

A wonderful, wonderful spectacle. My heartiest thanks for posting these inspiring photos.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by John Simmons on 07 Oct 2020, 00:57

Thanks, everyone, for your kind thoughts. You're certainly right, Chris, that the Collis Zouaves put in the best performance of any Zouave regiment at Fredericksburg. That was where they made their reputation, I think, with their famous charge that halted the Confederate counter-attack, over on the Union left. As far as I know, the only Zouave unit in action on the Union right was the National Zouaves (10th N. Y.) in French's division. Other than taking casualties, their assault of Marye's Heights accomplished nothing. It's the National Zouaves that my unit is painted to represent. And the pontoon boats, that I used for both the river assault and the pontoon bridge later on, do look a little like DUKWs. Probably they weren't any more seaworthy, either. The manufacturer, by the way, isn't Franznap. They are resin pieces from somewhere I can no longer remember, and have been in my collection for a very long time.

Posted by Bill Slavin on 07 Oct 2020, 02:34

Very nice looking game! The river crossing is especially realistic and well done. And that is an impressive number of buildings you have on your table.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Oct 2020, 11:18

Very nice pictures! From where are the houses?
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by John Simmons on 09 Oct 2020, 13:22

The buildings on the table are from all over. Several are scratch-built, and the rest are from dozens of different manufacturers, many now out of business. I believe all of the buildings were painted by me. I can't remember the sources for most of them. But I know that Stone Mountain Miniatures still produces a number of the houses I use, and a company called Gettysburg Soldiers sells painted versions of some of the resin Gettysburg buildings that have been around for a while.

Posted by MABO on 19 Oct 2020, 08:26

Amazing project. I have seen some other presentations of Fredericksburg. But this in one of the best.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by dykio on 21 Oct 2020, 07:45

Well this is something to get realy yealous over ! Fantastic and as mentioned by the other members the lay-out, scenenry and especially the houses are realy superb !!
dykio  Netherlands

Return to Gallery