Gallery

War of Spanish Succession

Posted by PhilC on 06 Feb 2022, 15:01

Very good looking figures! I'm in the long process to convince myself to paint at least ONE WSS figure. So I'm gathering documentation all around, but I must admit that it is not easy to find. If not a secret, can you share tour sources ? Please :shock: ?
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by MABO on 06 Feb 2022, 15:05

PhilC wrote:Very good looking figures! I'm in the long process to convince myself to paint at least ONE WSS figure. So I'm gathering documentation all around, but I must admit that it is not easy to find. If not a secret, can you share tour sources ? Please :shock: ?

This is really cool, I think. But I did not know if it is correct or not. But maybe it helps.
http://www.thewaroffice.co.uk/Blenheim/Index.htm
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PhilC on 06 Feb 2022, 16:04

Great, thank you! The flags in particular seem hard to find, and they are documented in this website, so thank you very much.
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 06 Feb 2022, 17:13

Really nice work, Rich. You have nailed the lace work! As for inconsistencies in the sculpting, if I like the sculpts I can usually live with them. You do wonder how they could get things so wrong sometimes, however!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 06 Feb 2022, 22:07

You have done a fine job on these French Line cavalry Rich, they look very good!

I agree with your observations regarding poses, and also the way that you have used these (ie: mounted on horses from the Late War British Regiment of Horse). I find it perplexing in fact that Strelets did not produce these 'late war dragoons' as line cavalry, and use the same horses from the British set - as you have done here. It would have made a lot more sense.

The officer with the 'troublesome' flag is a strange pose, one that you can use occasionally but not too often I feel. You have done a fine job of painting the Royal sun-in-spendour motif which was characteristic of French cavalry flags of the time.

All in all, Great work! Are you also planning to paint the blue-coated Regiment du Roi as part of this brigade?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 07 Feb 2022, 19:25

Thank you all again.

Phil, the link Mabo sent is excellent. I also use:
http://obscurebattles.blogspot.com/2013 ... -1704.html - although not specific uniform details, does have a few flags and facings colours etc. This is what I am using to determine the units to paint for Blenheim.

https://www.baccus6mm.com/_paintingguid ... France.pdf

http://kronoskaf.com/wss/index.php?title=Main_Page

I also use the various Osprey titles and CS Grant's The Armies and Uniforms of Marlborough's Wars.

What I have found is that several sources do contradict each other and there are just lots of details that appear unknown. Not sure if Mark or Will can recommend any other sources?

Mark, I do plan on painting Regiment Du Roi, but just started Regiment de la baume. I'm using the Zvezda GNW Swedish and Russians. I don't think they'll mix well with the Strelets cavalry though
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Fire at Will on 08 Feb 2022, 07:45

A few extra links

Gilles Boue's Infantry Uniforms and Flags
http://royalfig.free.fr/index.php?/category/31/start-120

Another attempt at listing the Uniforms at Blenheim
http://www.thewaroffice.co.uk/Blenheim/Index.htm

Some Inspiring pictures of 28mm figures
http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2019/02/10/stalled-projects-1-the-war-of-spanish-succession-in-28mm/

Will
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 09 Feb 2022, 16:23

Useful links, thanks Will. I was not aware of the Gilles Boue's website, some useful stuff there.

In terms of other written sources, the ones I can think of are somewhat pricey to acquire, but worth it if you are willing to spend money on literature related to a subject that you are particularly interested in. The four 'Armies and Wars of the Sun King' volumes published by Helion Books and written by Rene Chartrand are very good, although limited naturally to the armies of France and covering a considerably longer period than just the War of Spanish Succession.

For the Danish forces involved as an Auxiliary Corps in Flanders and Bavaria, the second volume in the two-volume work on Armies and Enemies of Sweden in the Great Northern War by Hoglund and Sallnas is useful (it includes flags for the Danish regiments) but again is pricey and difficult to find.

The CS Grant book is very useful, and I also still refer to the old Osprey title on Marlborough's Army.

One of the charms of this early C18th period is, however, that in the absence of exact information, a little 'artistic licence' is always possible.

In terms of figures: I am tending to resist using Strelets and Zvezda figures side by side, although there are some exceptions. The older Zvezda figures are very good in my humble opinion and are, in fact, forming the backbone of my Dutch contingent. Once I've managed finishing painting them, I'll post some pictures!

Posted by Bluefalchion on 09 Feb 2022, 18:14

Thanks for the info. I am finding only sparse information about these men on the web, in stark contrast to their great grandsons who fought for or against Bonoparte.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Feb 2022, 21:12

Is anyone surprised that Rich's new regiment is a new masterpiece? I personally don't. You're getting us too used to it, hahaha.

One more time you have made a great work. :love: :love: :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Marvin on 13 Feb 2022, 19:24

Been admiring your growing collection and I can only say what a joy it is to see. I've currently working on the British versions of the 'in reserve' cavalry and I was interested to see what they might turn out like so your relaxed looking Regiment de Tarneau gives me hope. I'm certainly not a 'purist' so I can say they look great to me!

This is going to sound like a stupid question but I'm keen to know what biege type of colour you use for the gloves and also the hooves, I'm looking for something like that shade.
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 14 Feb 2022, 01:22

Thank you Santi and Marvin, very kind of you.

I think (normally I write down my colours used but for some reason didn't on these) that I used Vallejo Beige for Hooves with a strong wash. Gloves I think were Vallejo Buff, dark wash, beige highlight.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 28 Feb 2022, 00:25

I've finally got around to basing the artillery and adding a limber. I know that the limber crew/rider would not have worn uniform and more likely been in civilian clothing, but artistic license etc...Thanks for looking!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 28 Feb 2022, 00:31

These look very effective on their large 'battery' base, Rich. Some excellent groundwork, (and is that a splash of blue-flowering shrub as well?) The Strelets and Zvezda artillery figures mix well together, and the Zvezda Caisson is a very nice little kit in its own right, and looks just right here. Great work!

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Feb 2022, 09:01

Really nice scene with excellently painted troops and good groundwork .

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by koshkimishki on 02 Mar 2022, 15:30

Very nice to see
koshkimishki  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 02 Mar 2022, 21:27

Wonderfull work on this artillery Rich! I like the whole composition! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 02 Mar 2022, 21:55

Really cool, indeed!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 13 Mar 2022, 01:42

I've finally got round to basing the Regiment Navarre. Thanks for looking as always!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 15 Mar 2022, 12:20

More fine basing of this warlike and aggressive Regiment of Navarre! The last photo in this latest selection - the one looking down the length of the ranks with the officer in the foreground - is particularly effective.

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery