Gallery

American Civil War

Posted by despertaferro on 25 Oct 2023, 13:51

Hi...

18th Alabama

Strelets and Speira miniatures do match just because they share an S at the beginning of the Brand's name... :xd:
But once on the shelve I think the differences won't be as obvious as here :stressed:

4th USCT, "The Comanches", 3rd Maine Volunteers and Confederate Marines are next...
Kind regards

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 26 Oct 2023, 19:07

despertaferro wrote:...Strelets and Speira miniatures do match just because they share an S at the beginning of the Brand's name...

Hahaha. It's not always easy to get figures from two or more manufacturers to fit well in size or style when they are mixed, Joan. And that's despite the fact that you're an expert at doing it beautifully, as you've demonstrated many times. :mrgreen:

These rebels have nothing to envy their Yankee enemies, they are just as fantastic. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by despertaferro on 10 Nov 2023, 18:06

Hi...

4th USCT

Looking at the photos, I noticed that the washing has removed some of the brown paint from the wooden parts of the rifles. This always happens to me with this particular brown color. If I use a darker shade, the paint stays. I already stopped using this particular shade, but due to the darker skin tone on these figures, I thought it would look better.
Bad idea. Now I have to restore the color.

I will stop using 3D printed figures. I've given them their chance, but I'm not happy at all.
First, they are extremely fragile; bayonets, rifle tips, and even the ankles of figures with only one foot on the ground, split at the slightest pressure or impact. It is very annoying to have to be gluing such small pieces, sometimes once they are already painted and attached to the base.
(While I'm writing this, the flag bearer has the upper half of the flag waiting to be glued back to its position :affraid: )
And also, I don't really like how they look once painted. They are very smooth and the lack of relief means that once painted they look dull.

I miss Zvezda...

All the bests

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by C M Dodson on 10 Nov 2023, 19:08

Very nice indeed.

You are correct regarding the fragility of some of the printed offerings.

Anything like swords etc are broken within moments.

For swords I replace them with Italieri US cavalry blades, far more robust.

Best wishes ,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 10 Nov 2023, 23:27

These look great Joan. I particularly like the officer and standard bearer.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 11 Nov 2023, 08:07

I really like how you've painted rolled American flag.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by despertaferro on 11 Nov 2023, 14:07

Not a bad idea Chris... If it wasn't for the fact that it invalidates the Italeri horsemen, two of the most beautiful cavalry sets ever in 1:72 (in my opinion... :-D )

I can see the advantages of 3D modeled figures (if you can live with the problems), but for me, computer design takes the charm out of the end result. And, prioritizing perfection, I prefer Zveda mini sets a thousand times over 3D figures. Which I ended up buying quite a few of, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Maybe it has to do with age :xd: , but I remember a spectacular time in the hobby when I went to the store waiting to see the latest news from Zvezda or Italeri... Their Great Northern War range, Napoleonic, ACW... :love:
despertaferro  

Posted by Peter on 04 Dec 2023, 18:08

Great work Joan! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by despertaferro on 14 Dec 2023, 12:45

35th Virginia Cavalry "The Comanches"

I hope you are all doing well and many thanks for your time.

Regards

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 30 Dec 2023, 17:52

Very nice again, Joan.
You have quite an output when it comes to painted units. But the quality of your painting does not suffer in the least.
Thanks for sharing and keep them coming
Patrick.
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by despertaferro on 08 Jan 2024, 14:12

Hi,

3rd Maine Volonteers.

Not the best figures ever... Very dull and boring result but ads some variety to my ACW Union units.
I have painted them with their early war look, before all the volonteer and militia units got their dark blue uniform.
Not close ups this time; not much to see, so not worth the work...

Regards

Joan

(I hope not too dark this time... :stressed: )
despertaferro  

Posted by Bill Slavin on 08 Jan 2024, 14:41

Even boring figures look nice under your brush! And yes, lighter and better. :-D
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Michael Robert on 08 Jan 2024, 14:45

Hello Joan,
agree, the pictures have better light. Also agree, that the guys may seem "boring" but they will look great on a board with all the others - so not boring at all in my opinion.
The only querk I have is the standing Italeri officer - all the others are in a great dynamic ensemble and he alone "stands out". It breaks the overall harmony of your unit.
Always wonderful and inspiring your "boring" presentations :)
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Posted by C M Dodson on 08 Jan 2024, 15:32

Not so sure about boring and the light is much better.

Excellently painted as always.

The officers in a firing line generally supervised the efforts of their men and that did not necessarily mean waving a sword around your own troops head!

He is fine, although the chap in the hat, resting on his sword is a good pose for this sort of situation in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by despertaferro on 22 Jan 2024, 16:50

Hi...

4th Texas, Old Texas Brigade.

While all my armies have real refs, I tend to make beauty (or what I understand as beautiful) more important than accuracy. That's why I mix incompatible figures or have in the same battalion guys in shirts near some dressed with a coat :oops: . I have to say, working in Yorkshire, in the cold and wearing the warmest jacket I own, I saw a local hired guy in a t-shirt and shorts :eh: :xd: , but I'm sure you get my point :xd:

But here, I have painted this unit trying to match an actual event, the action at Chaffin's Farm/New Market Heights on September 29, 1864, where the Old Texas Brigade were attackjed by the 4th USCT (that you can see in this same page).
At the end of this action, this veterans sustained only one man killed and two wounded while half of the 4th USCT had been killed, wounded or captured.

Thank you for your time.
Regards
Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by Minuteman on 22 Jan 2024, 21:12

Wonderful work on a very grand scale. I very much like the mixing of figures, including those of different manufacturers, to really create authentic-looking units. And yes, the lighter photographs show everything off very well. Fine work!!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 25 Jan 2024, 00:26

Lovely mixture of figures. Your infamous wash really works on these Texans!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by despertaferro on 20 Feb 2024, 13:55

Hello...
4th Texas Volunteers Regiment.
The 4th Texas again, this time in its early war looks and under the first Confederate battle flag model.

Warm regards

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Feb 2024, 10:11

Another fine unit with a not usually seen early war flag.

Some of the Stretlets weapons are enormous I found compared to other manufacturers and the chopping knife had to be deployed!

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by despertaferro on 22 Feb 2024, 14:23

Chris, you couldn't be more right.
Due to their size, these weapons would definitely look better suited in the hands of Ashigaru or Hussite soldiers.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't know how to use the chopping knife to correct this problem without cutting off one of my own fingers in the process…. :eh: :-D

Anyway, my bases are far from the quality of your own stuff, which is unattainable for my limited skills.

Many thanks for your time.
Warm regards

Joan
despertaferro  

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery