Gallery

Crimean War

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 02 Feb 2020, 10:38

Great stuff! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by despertaferro on 23 Mar 2020, 13:30

Hi,

Some reinforcements for the Russian side, five field artillery bases made out of Emhar and Esci sets with a couple of Strelets officers snicked in for variety.

I hope you are all doing well...

Regards!

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Mar 2020, 13:53

There are some strange gunnery drills going on that will disrupt a possible second volley but the overall impression is lovely.

The painting style in my opinion really brings these chaps to life and the groundwork is most effective.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Mar 2020, 14:26

Those are beautiful! I would love to know how you get such soft feathering with your darks and lights - no hard lines at all!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by sberry on 23 Mar 2020, 15:23

Bill Slavin wrote:Those are beautiful! I would love to know how you get such soft feathering with your darks and lights - no hard lines at all!

Exactly my thoughts each time I look at those figures! I'd love to learn what the secret of these perfect paintjobs is.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Egbert on 23 Mar 2020, 16:07

Great stuff...you made a great Job! :thumbup:
Egbert  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 23 Mar 2020, 16:27

I agree these are painted wonderfully, I'm guessing they're painted wet using drying retarder and mixing on the figure itself. The softness makes those coats look like they're made of wool. Great job on the basing too.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by despertaferro on 23 Mar 2020, 22:02

Hi...

Thank you very much for your kind words, but I think you put too much credit on me...

First, nice unpainted figures, look nice once painted. So, a big deal of the credit for the final look is on the sculptor and manufacturer side. And some of these figures are amongst the best. Their overcoats seem like in movement, with very natural folds. And this is very important because catches the light very well and looks very convincing on the pictures. And seems better painted that they really are…

Second, I do not highlight my painting. Every shadow and highlight you see is a washing and matte coating effect. But what I do, is to use lots of different colours/shades on every group of figures, no matter they are all wearing the same uniform or how smart the unit should look like. In this case, for the coats, grey or yellowish brown. Two or three different shades of it. Maybe just three or four figures in the all pack share the same coat shade. Green uniforms, same thing. Five or six different greens. Pants slightly different from jackets, some even bluish, greyish, and so on…. As far I’m painting units, not single figures, with this silly trick I made them look heterogenous and realistic.

And a few simple sacred rules...

For fine details, like weapons, belts, canteens, badges, buttons, I paint black first and then the desired colour over it.

Under metal, always black first. I paint with enamels except for metal. Black enamel, metal acrylic over it.

Black items, never black. Very dark grey, or brown, or blue…

White items, never white. Very light grey or yellow…

Once the figures painted, the best I can, it comes the moment of truth…

Matte coating to protect the painting from the traumatic next step of the process.

Once dried, heavy washing with an extremely diluted mix of black and brown. Let them dry. Looks very scary because seems that I ruined the all work.
Then, with a brush full of matte coat, I cover the full figure with an exaggerated amount of it. The matte coat solvent soft the black/brown washing very easily on the highlights (were the washing dried coat is thinner) but not much on the deep shadows (were the washing dried coat is thicker). Then, over this mess, I brush the washing from one area to another (or simply remove it) until I achieve the look I want. Then, I let enough matte coat over the surface, to allow the gravity do the rest of the job. Very slowly, before it completely dries, the matte coat mixed with washing find its way into the cracks and deep lines and out the surface.

Sometimes happens that, once dried, is not as dull as I like. Then I spayed another coat of matte coating over it.

Finally, I take the pictures under soft natural light. Never direct Sun, never front lighted.

And that’s all folks…

I hope I made it understandable… :-D
despertaferro  

Posted by Bill Slavin on 24 Mar 2020, 00:42

Thanks for the explanation. It’s an involved process (I like that you use a variety of shades to create non-uniformity in the uniforms!)
Just to clarify, the final stage of washing is done with inks or paints? And the matte coat is a latex matte medium or something else? It seems the crucial effect that works so well is the thinning and desolving of the wash on the highlights with the matte coating so I would imagine the type of paints would be important here!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Bessiere on 24 Mar 2020, 01:21

I've never heard of your technique before. You might want to patent it and charge everyone who wants to do it your way. Love the look!
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 24 Mar 2020, 10:08

This is great inspiration! Just finished some Dragoons and started to prime some Russian infantry.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by despertaferro on 27 Apr 2020, 11:21

French Field Artillery...

Strelets like, guns are poorly engineered. But these figures are amongst their best...

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by lobo on 30 Apr 2020, 21:06

Joan,
One of my prefer jobs you have done,
I think in these units your shading has the perfect level of intensity…
So many details, the buttons and lining on the Russians, the white on these Algeriens…wow.
Congratulations.
lobo  Spain

Posted by despertaferro on 05 Jan 2021, 18:17

Hi…!

Officer...
This set comes without. When looking for some suitable figure, I found this one in their Siege Artillery set. Obviously, the uniform is far from correct for a Rifle officer but was easy to be disguised as a Light Infantry one.

I had to deal with two equally bad options: paint it as a Light Infantry and lost for ever any accuracy credit that I could have :-D , or doit in green and black and try to disguise the wrong uniform.

When I’m not sure about what to do, I always go for the best good-looking option; so hence he’s cladded in red.

I like how the result looks like but, maybe it is far too wrong.
Perhaps they lost all the officers and had some leased from a close Light Infantry unit…
Let’s hope the Cossack snipers of this sector are colorblind… All of them. :-D

Many thanks for your time…!

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by despertaferro on 05 Jan 2021, 19:52

Moderators... Can you edit the previous post by changing the duplied picture for the one above?
My mistake...

Many thanks...
despertaferro  

Posted by Kekso on 05 Jan 2021, 21:40

It's done :)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 06 Jan 2021, 10:07

Great painted unit again Joan. A bit dark, but great! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by despertaferro on 22 Dec 2023, 16:44

Chasseurs d'Afrique

Hello friends...

First, let me apologize for my lack of answer to your always pleasant and constructive comments or adding my own remarks to your posts (the vast majority of which are much better than mine...).

But after a year and a half of not painting anything now I'm like a paint junkie and spend all my available time producing like crazy.
Anyhow, these are the Crimean War French Chasseurs d'Afrique.

Warm Regards!

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by Konrad on 23 Dec 2023, 10:03

As always, a great unit from you.
But the pictures are very dark.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Dec 2023, 17:41

Yes, a fine display but difficult to appreciate in full due to the lighting.

Happy Christmas!

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery