Gallery

Anglo-Zulu War 1879

Posted by despertaferro on 31 Oct 2023, 16:14

Hi...

Royal Artillery...
Royal Marines next. And some more zulus will follow...

I hope you are all well.
Warm Regards!

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by Rich W on 01 Nov 2023, 10:41

An excellent addition! Looks like you've made a really good choice of colours for those blue jackets. More inspiration for me!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 06 Nov 2023, 07:30

I like the colonial range from HaT. And you builded once more an excellent army with these sets.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by despertaferro on 17 Nov 2023, 14:07

Hi...

Royal Marines.

I better go for the Zulus now or this will be too unfair…

For the British side I think that, with the figure sets produced to date, I only have the Lancers left to do.
I would like to make the Natal Carbineers also but I do'nt know how to get them out of the avalaible stuff.
Any suggestions would be welcome :-D

Many thanks for you time.
Warm regards

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Nov 2023, 14:14

despertaferro wrote:
I better go for the Zulus now or this will be too unfair…

]

This is the problem. All the various British & allied troops are a joy to paint. As are the Zulus....at least the first 100 or so. So you inevitably end up with too many British etc & not enough Zulus.

Your RMs are very nice & I like the slightly faded blue you've given their uniform.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Nov 2023, 14:17

the Natal Carbineers. The only way IMO is Newline:

https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/product/na ... e-mounted/

An easy paint conversion. And you can get dismounted figures, horses & horse holders to substitute for the riders when they dismount to fire.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 18 Nov 2023, 21:57

Another cracking regiment to strengthen the British Forces. If I’m not mistaken I believe your bases are subtly getting better and better.
Now back to painting Zulus… which is honestly a little mind boggling despite the subtle variations between the different Impi. It wouldn’t be so bad if they all charged into battle wearing their cerimonial regalia but unfortunately it was not the case and other than the headrings for married regiments there were few differences between the regiments, other than their shield colours.
(Having painted over 150 different 28mm Zulus I am speaking from personal experience - the tedium demon is hard to keep at bay). Good luck Joan.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Santi Pérez on 19 Nov 2023, 20:50

Those marines look splendid, Joan! Once again, I think the mix of Esci/Italeri and Hät figures is fantastic. :love: :love: :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Santi Pérez on 19 Nov 2023, 20:52

Those marines look splendid, Joan! Once again, I think the mix of Esci/Italeri and Hät figures works really well. :love: :love: :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 20 Nov 2023, 23:54

Ochoin wrote:the Natal Carbineers. The only way IMO is Newline:

https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/product/na ... e-mounted/

An easy paint conversion. And you can get dismounted figures, horses & horse holders to substitute for the riders when they dismount to fire.

donald

Donald, do these metal figures blend in ok with the Hat range? I've never purchased any metals before...

Also, lovely work again Joan!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 21 Nov 2023, 04:44

Hi, Rich.

Technically, they're a match. A little shorter than HaT, a bit stockier. IMO, no problem but people have different tastes & perceptions.

Where else do you get these units, mounted & dismounted?

The Natal Mounted Police in this photo are surrounded by HaT Lancers & Mounted Infantry.

This photo of Durnsford's last moments show a Newline figure confronting HaT Zulus.

The 'Received Wisdom' is you don't mix metals & plastics in the same unit. In this period I do-

Both NNC units combine figures. Can you pick which are which?

So, all I can say is I'm happy with them.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by despertaferro on 21 Nov 2023, 14:02

Thank you so much for taking some of your time to post comments.

Donald,
you made a good suggestion here. Many thanks! (By the way, what a beautiful collection you have! I will never get close to it...)
The only thing that makes me think twice is the lack of variety of positions. As you know, I'm not much of a purist when it comes to mixing different brands in my bases (some of them quite incompatible, I admit. Not because of the body proportions, I can live with that; but mostly because of the size of the gear: regardless of how big or small a human being is, the rifle or helmet must be exactly the same shape and size).
I like to mix first because I prioritize not repeating positions as much as possible. Secondly, because by comparing brands in this way, I feel like I'm doing some kind of service to my fellow hobbyists. And if, by any chance, the manufacturers occasionally take a look at these pages, perhaps seeing their figures compared in such a crude way prompts them to improve.
Who knows!

Rich,
At first I was also very strict using and collecting only plastic figures and nothing else.
But I have to say, despite being rougher and less detailed than the plastic ones, metal figures have their charm. There are manufacturers like Franznap or Underfire that make authentic gems. My Compagnies Franches de Marine are metal and couldn't be any better. Too bad this guy stoped producing because I would have definitely bought anything he make.
And when some of my older figures begun to break every time I touched them (my Punic Wars bases can loose their Hat's figures plumes and pilums almost just blowing at them...), I started to think that I wish I had made metal from the beginning... :xd:

All the best

Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Nov 2023, 15:33

I mix metals and plastics and even combine metals and plastics for conversions.

Mr D raises an interesting point regarding weaponry especially.

The Hat ACW chaps have beautiful weapons despite the plastic used being resistant to paint.

However, the Stretlets weapons on their otherwise excellent ACW. range are bigger than other makes, some being monsters that need cutting down to size.

As for scale.

The SI measurement system, in modelling and indeed women’s clothes is open to all sorts of ‘interpretations’.

The Newline guys even have different scales within the range, ie their lovely Landwehr compared with their other infantry of that period.

Completely bonkers and very frustrating.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 26 Nov 2023, 23:49

Thank you for showing me some great examples Donald! I've taken the plunge and ordered a few Newline figures to try...
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 30 Dec 2023, 20:23

I'm very late in this thread but what an amazing stuff again, Joan.
beautiful as always!
thanks for sharing
Patrick.
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Previous page

Return to Gallery