Gallery

Gordon at Khartoum: Battle Report

Posted by John Simmons on 21 Apr 2023, 22:25

The final day of the siege dawns in Khartoum. And Gordon watches downriver from Fort Mukran, hoping for a sight of the relief expedition.

It took us far too long to play this game. COVID, work, and other inconveniences delayed us by a surprising number of months. Here, finally, is how the game played out.

The four natural points for assaults on Khartoum's defenses were at the three "gates" into the city (where the three roadways passed through Gordon's ring of earthen ramparts) and at the White Nile end of the line, where the Nile flooding had turned the defenses into a sea of mud. At the start of our game, Al-Sharif's Red Flag had occupied Burri village and was threatening Burri gate. Gordon had removed the bridge over the water-filled trench there and installed an iron gate. The gate was also guarded by Fort Burri.

The Massalamuja gate was the only one where Gordon had left a bridge over the trench. This gate was threatened both by the Red Flag and by Ali Hilu's Green Flag. Gordon has placed one of his machine guns to defend the bridge.

At the Kalakla gate, Gordon has also removed the bridge over the trench. That gate is defended by a mountain gun. The Black Flag of Abdullahi threatens both that gate and the muddy end of Gordon's defenses. The muddy area is defended by troops on moored barges, by Gordon's other machine gun, and ultimately by Fort Mukran.

Gordon also has a small reserve force in place along the Blue Nile.

We played the game with three special rules. First, Gordon's reserve must stay on the Blue Nile until the Mahdi's forces are inside the ring of defenses (to represent Gordon's need to guard against an assault on the city by water). Second, the morale and effectiveness ratings of Gordon's forces were reduced after every three turns (to represent the despair and starvation of the siege). And third, victory by the Mahdists could only be achieved by eliminating Gordon within an agreed-upon number of turns (to represent the prospect of Wilson's relief expedition arriving at Khartoum from down the Nile).

An initial artillery exchange accomplished relatively little, causing just a few casualties and destroying one Mahdist battery.

The Mahdist forces then simultaneously assaulted all three gates and the muddy end of the defensive ring, trying to take advantage of their vastly superior numbers.

All four assaults were beaten back, with heavy casualties among the Mahdi's forces. A few of the Ansar made it across the mud, but they were quickly eliminated by the machine gun and the defenders on the barges. Gordon's forces suffered only relatively light casualties in this fighting.

The artillery on both sides had been largely ineffective throughout the fighting to this point, especially on the Mahdist side (where the effectiveness ratings were very low). One lucky shot by a Mahdist Krupp, however, changed the tide of the battle. That shot took out the machine gun that was guarding the Massalamuja gate. The Mahdists immediately renewed their assault on that gate and threatened to break through Gordon's ring of defenses.

I'll post the report on the remainder of the game in a few days, when I have some more time.
John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 22 Apr 2023, 04:52

Great report & the game is a feast for the eyes.
I'm eager for the rest of the game report.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by MABO on 22 Apr 2023, 05:09

Ochoin wrote:Great report & the game is a feast for the eyes.
I'm eager for the rest of the game report.

donald

I second that. A fantastic gaming table and your report is full of suspence.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 22 Apr 2023, 20:13

Thanks for sharing this with us! Real nice report and pictures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 Apr 2023, 22:11

Thanks for this. Great report and I really appreciate the work you have put into creating Khartoum - it looks very good.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 23 Apr 2023, 10:01

Wow, a most impressive sight!! The layout, scenery, buildings and river are all superb, as are the figures of course. The photography is also very good, and the first picture, showing the city with the besiegers closing in, looks to me particularly realistic.

I'm looking forward to your next post, but for the time being a big Well Done !! :yeah:
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Apr 2023, 10:07

Hi John.

Once again a war gaming masterpiece!

You really do capture the flavour of the moment with your battles .

The scenery is practicable yet effortlessly transports you back in time.

Super troops and a visual treat in the ‘Grand Manner’.

Memories of Charlton Heston in Khartoum come flooding back.

The Maadi, the expected one!

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by John Simmons on 28 Apr 2023, 15:22

Thank you all for your generous comments. Like most of you, I suspect, I too became fascinated with the siege of Khartoum after first seeing the 1966 Heston/Olivier film. As it turns out, there are quite a few historical inaccuracies in that film (or perhaps they should be counted as instances of dramatic license); but it remains an exciting and even inspiring movie experience. It took me many (!) years to even think about trying to game that siege, mostly because of the time involved in creating enough buildings to create a plausible city. Khartoum has obviously changed a lot since it was ordered destroyed by the Mahdi after Gordon's death. Unhappily, one thing that seems not to have changed in the intervening years is the continuing social chaos and bloodshed in Sudan's capital.
John Simmons  United States of America

Return to Gallery