Gallery

French Napoleonic Infantry

Posted by raph86 on 15 Apr 2023, 14:59

Hello, following my period of convalescence, I will put on this post all the figurines that I could paint on the French infantry line or guard of the Napoleonic era.
I'll start with some of the ranks ;) .
Italeri ref 6066, 6092 and Zvezda ref 8030, 8080.

raph86  France

Posted by Bessiere on 15 Apr 2023, 15:53

Very nice Raph. I can feel the confidence you paint with knowing every detail of the uniforms, it shows. I'm particular to the figure mounting his horse since it's such an unusual pose. I see your ADC has painted eyes and they look quite natural- not every figure can be done like that. It's good to see you've been working diligently. It helps to have diversions when in recovery from physical issues. Hope you're feeling better with each passing day.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by raph86 on 15 Apr 2023, 16:05

You are right Bessières, I also think that it is necessary to know the uniform that one paints to be precise.
That's why I buy books on the uniforms of the first empire and on the French army of Napoleon, there are many references with superb uniform plates.
I still have two weeks to recover so I will try to paint some more figures.
For the eyes, normally I don't do them anymore because the faces are often blurred but here the face and the eyes were so well done that I couldn't resist...
Thanks for your nice comment.
raph86  France

Posted by MABO on 16 Apr 2023, 06:49

Hi Raph,
even if you have a lot of books, I sometimes find it difficult to transfer everything to the figures you want to paint because not all of them are shown in the right uniform. Or the pose you need is only available with one uniform, which you can't mix with others because it's pre-Bardin, for example.

Your painting job is nice as always!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by k.b. on 16 Apr 2023, 12:01

Terrific work on your French figures Raph. Clearly well researched as Bessiere mentioned. Eyes or no eyes really largely depends on the sculpting, if it’s good, one can decide to tackle them, if not a dark brown or black line or two can be much more convincing. At least in MHO.

Books were definitely where I got most of my uniform inspiration from for most of my life. However, without wishing to advertise in any way, I think Pinterest, is a tremendous way to build up reference material in a very short space of time, on a huge variety of periods, and absolutely free of charge - at least up to now. Don’t neglect this tool, it’s fabulous….. and if nothing else it can settle discussions when our different reference material sometimes contradicts itself eg what exact colour was Wellington’s horse Copenhagen? Did French Old Guard Grenadiers wear black or white gaiters going into the battle of Austerlitz ?

Sorry to hear you’re convalescing after illness but on the bright side, you have your lovely minis to keep you company! And from what you’ve shown here your painting is coming along nicely. Can’t wait to see more!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 16 Apr 2023, 15:27

You selected a beautiful set of figures and painted them very well, Raph.
It seems like a detail, but I admire particularly the way and your eye for detail with which you painted the scabbards. The faces are very well done too.
thank you for sharing,
Patrick.
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 16 Apr 2023, 20:00

New nicely painted French Napoleonic figures, officers in this case, raph86. :love:

I have two conversions of two of them: one of the Zvezda Imperial Old Guard Grenadiers officer as Imperial Middle Guard Fusiliers-Grenadiers officer; and other of the Italeri officer in bicorne as Spanish Walloon Guards officer. I hope to paint them sometime in the future. :shock:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 16 Apr 2023, 23:01

Great job on these Raph. I particularly like the infantry officer in the bicorne (4th photo down), but they are all excellent!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 19 Apr 2023, 00:42

Very nice work, as always, Raph. I have never owned the set with the ADC mounting his horse but he was an inspiration for one of my own conversions.
I, too, am impressed with your believable (unbelievable?!) eye treatment. My eyes would need to be treated if I tried to tackle that!

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 21 Apr 2023, 20:51

It is always nice to see some very good painted Napoleonic figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 24 Apr 2023, 12:02

Peter wrote:It is always nice to see some very good painted Napoleonic figures! :thumbup:

Yes indeed :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Gallery