Game Reports

Casa de Salinas - Battle of Talavera

Posted by Bill Slavin on 14 Nov 2022, 14:38

We had a great game last Friday, played out on a bleak November afternoon, probably the last game in my friend's coach house before we have to move everything back into my house for the winter.
It was from Jonathan Jones' Peninsular War scenario book, O'er the Hills, and is based around a prelude to the actual battle of Talavera, a surprise attack on the British rearguard (3rd Division) by Lapisse's 2nd Division, 1 Corps. Wellesley himself was present and very nearly got caught up in the initial assault, his capture being one of the possibilities woven into this scenario.
I have a full battle report here:
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2022/11/casa-de-salinas-battle-of-talavera-27th.html

I have attached a few pictures from the game, a bit grainy as the light wasn't great for photographing.

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 15 Nov 2022, 12:56

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bessiere on 15 Nov 2022, 13:27

Great looking game. French voltigeurs doing the yeoman's work I see. If HaT can make sets like those why aren't they all of such quality?
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bill Slavin on 15 Nov 2022, 23:27

So true, Bessiere, HaT is so hit and miss. Those light infantry are a very nicely proportioned set, especially in comparison with the lunky HaT line infantry (which I actually prefer painting, oddly enough).
If you look very closely you will see that I altered some of the HaT Nassau and added them into my light infantry battalions. I’m almost certain those were done by the same sculptor.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Minuteman on 17 Nov 2022, 12:07

Another good-looking and famous battle of the Peninsular War. Fine photographs and, as always, great scenery. Fine work!

I agree about the unfortunate variety in HaT's different French infantry sets, with the Voltiguers being outstanding and the 1808-12 infantry (on the other hand) being a matter of personal like or dislike, although undoubtedly a useful set. It is a great shame that HaT were not able, in their prolific days of creating some very fine figure sets, to have employed the same sculptor who presented us with the Voltiguers, the Nassau infantry and the British Peninsular infantry, to have sculpted the above-mentioned French infantry 'big box' as well.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Nov 2022, 14:12

Very nice indeed Bill.

As usual your units convey the era very well.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Game Reports