Game Reports

Rome versus Carthage Tactica style

Posted by PaulRPetri on 11 Sep 2022, 15:57

Hello Everyone! Another fine wargaming day was had at the Petri Playhouse and I actually took enough pictures for an after action report.

I decided on an ancient battle for this months game and since I have already painted a fairly large collection of Punic war armies I thought I would pull them out for a game. My go to rules for ancient battles is the venerable set Tactica which came out in 1989. As far as I know this was the first set of full color rules ever produced. The rules have the standard gaming are as 8 foot wide by 5 foot deep table. I am guessing this table size was used as Ping Pong tables at the time the rules came out were a fairly common thing to use as a wargame table, I think they are 9 foot long by 5 foot deep. I was using a 12 and half by 6 foot table so I made the armies 11/2 standard size.
All figures in use are Hat, Zvezda or Italeri,

As I like to do I screened off the board so set up was behind cardboard walls.

Careful observeres will note the small bits of masking tape on the game board. Tactica uses deployment limits to begin the game but once play commences units can move out of the restricted zones.
The Romans deploy into there standard checkerboard battle line.

Behind the Carthaginian lines. All units except for the skirmish troops must begin the game in column and deploy into battle line by the end of turn two. This adds a massive amount of challenge to the game!!

Carthage elephant power!

The cenetr of the Carthage line has deployed into line to meet the Roman assault.

I foolishly stayed in column one turn to long as I had control of the Carthage main cavalry force on the right.

A shot from the Roman right flank looking down the line.

On the Roman right flank the oppossing skirmish lines come to blows.

My Carthage cavalry on our right is caught in a poor position!!

Light troppos from both sides are fighting it out.

My cavalry survived round one still in column!!

The Roman center is coming on! A scary sight indeed!

The cavalry battle continues on the right. My numbers would eventually tell and I would defeat the Roman cavalry but the Roman infantry is another matter.

Roman infantry awaiting my cavalry assault. In the background the Giant Hand of Roman thought!!

Left flank cavalry action. The numidian cavalry plowing into the Roman cavalry, elephants in support.

Behind the Roman lines closing in.

On the Carthage left we scored some early success againt the Romans eliminating a few Manipules!

The cenetr of the Carthage line in a death grip with the Romans.

The right of the Carthage line scores a break through, gap in the line.

Casualties mounted in the center.

The Libyan heavy infarty is holding on, securing the Carthage left flank.

Still slugging it out!

Unfortunatly for the Carthaginians the Roman war machine is tough customer. They ground down our center units and if one looks closely flanking both Carthage units in the center of the line after a break through. Tactica has a very clear victory condition in the rules. Once 6 out of the twelve Carthage heavy infantry units have been broken the Carthage army is defeated. For the Romans it was 12 of their heavy infantry units would spell defeat. The Carthage units were 24 man strong while the Romans were 12 so it is not as lopsided as it first appears. Carthage did knock out 8 Roman units before defeat was came. Over all it was a great game. Carthage has a real tough task on their hands to defeat the Romans who are really tough customers.

Thanks for having a look.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Bessiere on 11 Sep 2022, 16:02

Great looking game. I envy those with large tables and many friends to engage in battle.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 11 Sep 2022, 17:32

Good looking stuff with masses of troops.

The best way of gaming with the visual appeal that comes automatically.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 11 Sep 2022, 17:40

Great report!
And a lot of nice figs.
Thanx for sharing.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 11 Sep 2022, 22:38

This period is definitely one of my personal favourites when it comes to the visual appeal of an ancient wargame. Plenty of troop types and the sight of elephants thundering across the battlefield is surely a beautiful sight to behold. I just can’t imagine how terrifying it must have been on the battleground itself finding oneself facing these mighty animals in real life.

Well done Paul. You’ve put on a tremendous game with loads of very nicely painted minis. In terms of the game mechanics I’m extremely curious to know how many of you actually participated in a game of this size?

Thanks a lot for showing here. Must say that I’m not a big fan of Hat miniatures but due to the relatively limited options from Italeri and Zvezda I understand that Hat do offer added variety!

Ps/ I’d love to have seen the Speira elephants that Konrad posted recently participating in this game.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by PaulRPetri on 12 Sep 2022, 01:18

Hello k.b. thanks for your kind comments and interest in the game. Six of us played this game and we all had plenty to command. The game played to it's conclusion in two and half hours. The game is very simple and elegant in its play. In my opinion one great rules set.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 12 Sep 2022, 13:56

Such a nice looking game, Paul. A speciality of yours, I think.

Beating the Romans. Difficult & often just short of impossible. I guess the reality of the gaming table reflects the reality of history. I know I can count the numbers of times I've done it on the fingers of a butcher's left hand. One of the reasons I moved to Late Antiquity is that battles are more even.

I think we both agree, though, the winning is nice but by no means essential for an enjoyable game.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 12 Sep 2022, 19:45

Thanks for sharing Paul! Lots of pictures of really nice painted figures! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 12 Sep 2022, 21:45

Thank you Donald and Peter for the kind words.
Yes Donald the Romans are a wrecking machine! Because I am a glutton for punishment our November game will see my Imperial Romans on the field for the first time against the Barbarian horde. I hope to capture the action with a short report!

Posted by Minuteman on 12 Sep 2022, 23:01

Fine and inspiring, a visual spectacle! Those HaT Punic Wars figures are fairly basic, but paint up well and look great in the massed formations you are using here.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 13 Sep 2022, 02:37

Thanks Miniuteman! Some shield transfer from Little Big Men helped loads dressing up the Romans.

Posted by sberry on 13 Sep 2022, 18:43

Usually I don't comment on wargaming, due to a total lack of experience or expertise in this field.
But this battle report looks really fun, with lots of colorful units, and it nicely captures the "multinational" feeling of those ancient battles.
I understand that this is a "generic" encounter Carthage vs. Rome, but looking at those battle lines, I get the impression that it could also serve as a simulation of Zama, or am I wrong?
sberry  Germany

Posted by PaulRPetri on 13 Sep 2022, 19:12

Hello sberry many thanks for your kind comments. This was just a standard oder of battle straight out of the rules. I have 10 more elephants to add to the Carthage host for a Zama battle. That is coming in the future!

Return to Game Reports