Game Reports

Hulsen's attack on Krechor Hill Battle Kolin

Posted by PaulRPetri on 20 Feb 2022, 23:09

I had thought that the Shako I SYW games were going to be on hold until I ran some next month at the annual SYWACon. But as it turned out we didn't have another game ready so the group said do another SYW game so here I am. This little report will have a long string of pictures followed by a written explanation on how the game ended as I forgot to take pictures at the end. I was fielding tips on how to make the game flow better when I run it at the convention which I was very happy to receive.

So as we begin we start off with My Daily Calendar and proceed to several over view shots.

The cardboard walls are back in place.

Through many many years of interest in the SYW I have come to realize that the battle of Kolin was a very mobile battle and not the static 18th century affair we may expect. The Austrians were forced to redeploy their army to meet Frederick's flanking attack. So the next few images show the Austrian columns heading forward to deploy.

A lot of game time has passed as the Austrian columns are forming a line and in the background Krechor church is about to come under attack from strong Prussian forces.

I controlled the Austrian forces on the left and center. My troops are getting into position.

The Austrian Battleline forming on Krechor hill.

Krechor church about to be stormed by the Prussian's. The Croats put up a very stiff fight. The Prussian cavalry swinging to the left of the church will be causing the Austrians great problems!

The "Sand Pit" is doing dual service as the "Swedish Earthwork" as stated by Dr. Duffy.

Our view of the "Swedish Earthwork". Austrian grenadiers stand ready like rocks!

The Prussian "Right" had to wait until turn two to enetr the board and here they come heading my way.

Having laid the game out a week in advance I had plenty of time to contemplate how I would defend the hill if I played the Austrians. So I was able to get my lads in place with time to spare.

The Prussians shake out into lines but the color pipe cleaners show my artillery has struck some damage.

The Grenzers are about to be wiped out. Poor fellows.

On the Austrian right our reserve cavalry boldly moves forward in an attempt to stop the massing Prussian cavalry seen in the distance.

An interesting rule I have included in the game is that if a unit moves past the flank of an enemy unit it may perform a free 90 degree pivot and end its movement. On the following turn if it moves ahead of his enemy he gets a flank attack. Well the Prussian dragoons shot forward before our line was complete. It would appear the dragoons are in trouble but you would be mistaken. They had actually hit two Austrian infantry units in the flank and destroyed both of them. One has already been removed before I could take a picture. They then get a break through move which took out one of the guns directly to their front. They then were able to perform a recall move 18" out of harms way. Holy Crap!!

The Prussian wall advances.

The situation around Krechor church. In the forground the victorious Prussian dragoons are recovering from their deadly work. Damn them!

The Austrian line at the end of Krechor hill. Some of the Austrian reserve cavalry can be seen in the background trying to get organized.

The same situation as the Austrians try to sort things out.

No battle report can be considered complete without the "Giant" hand.

The situation on the end of Krechor hill is dire. Not shown but off to the Austrian right all of their cavalry has been defeated by the Prussian cavalry and they are closing in to roll up our right flank!!

Great blasts of muskerty have been exchanged all along the line.

This image looks encouraging for the Austrians as the dreaded Prussian dragoons top cenetr lose this fight and are destroyed but behind us mounted Death is coming!

Off to the right of this picture all of our Austrian cavalry is about to be wiped out.

So as we enede the game, time was running out, we had been fighting about 4 hours, we declared the Prussians would probably win as they had flanking cavalry forces moving down the line. Thanks to my fellow gaming pals for another fun afternoon. Great stuff!!

Thanks for having look.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Bessiere on 20 Feb 2022, 23:31

Looks spectacular. 7 years war was the equal of Napoleonic battles for color and desperate bravery. I'm curious as to what rule set you are using?
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by PaulRPetri on 21 Feb 2022, 03:06

Thanks for the kind comments Bessiere.
I am using Shako I by Arty Conliffe with some heavy modifications by me. The Roll up action done by the Prussian Dragoons is from Arty's Tactica ancient rules. I have a PDF of my chart if you are interested. Send me a PM with your email and I will send it along.

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Feb 2022, 09:01

Good looking action with super troops and a lovely church.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 21 Feb 2022, 10:38

Really spectacular! Clash of amazing armies on a cool table!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Minuteman on 21 Feb 2022, 11:14

Bessiere wrote:Looks spectacular. 7 years war was the equal of Napoleonic battles for color and desperate bravery. I'm curious as to what rule set you are using?

Spectacular is a very good word to describe this; a big wargaming table crammed with excellent figures painted to a very high standard, and fine groundwork and buildings...and an occasional 'giant hand' too! What's not to like!!

Comparing the Seven Years War with the Napoleonic Wars period is a good and valid comparison I feel, which becomes even more valid if we consider that the SYW was (to an extent) a follow-on to the War of Austrian Succession in the 1740s. The period 1740-1763 covers a similarly-long period as the Napoleonic Wars (say, 1795-1815), and has a similarly-large number of battles and combatants.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 21 Feb 2022, 12:49

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Michael Robert on 22 Feb 2022, 21:09

Looks really good with all these massed troops. Sure you had a lot of fun.
Everything is there: well painted guys, a good landscape, a good setting. Only the baddies won - no no just kidding :-)
My thanks as well for posting
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 23 Feb 2022, 01:10

Thank you evryone for your kind comments. It was quite a grand time indeed!!

Posted by Rich W on 24 Feb 2022, 00:43

Thanks for sharing again Paul, great as always.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 24 Feb 2022, 15:29

Thank you Rich.

Return to Game Reports