General Wargaming

Valour & Fortitude practice

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Jan 2024, 00:04

I've used the Valour & Fortitude rules twice, some months ago.

I often run simulations prior to games to try out tactics, re-fresh a rule set, or in this case, make sure I actually know & can use the rules.

So far, the rules seem relatively simple & uncontroversial…..we'll see.
You may notice I'm using 3 gun batteries instead of the recommended 1 gun model battery. Two reasons for this – 1 model doesn't give an artillery battery any presence or, I think, the necessary footprint. And, my collection has always used 3-4 models for a battery & I don't want to have 75% of my guns as superfluous.The only issue I can think of is the bigger batteries might clog up the battlefield but if so, I think we could allow the Rules' brigade interpenetration rules to apply to stray artillery batteries.

I'm very much looking forward to the game on the 13th.
A French Brigade pitched against an Anglo-Hanoverian brigade.
French in column & attack columns
British in traditional line with 95th skirmishers in front.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 04 Jan 2024, 02:37

Lovely figures as always Donald! I have watched a few battle reports using those rules they seem to me to be a simpler version of Black Powder. I could be mistaken! I hope you do a battle report!
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 05 Jan 2024, 20:28

PaulRPetri wrote: I have watched a few battle reports using those rules they seem to me to be a simpler version of Black Powder. I could be mistaken!

I've never gamed BP but I believe they share mechanisms. One difference is that you fire first which given that most troops cannot move in the same phase as they fire, changes things a lot.

I have some priorities before I endorse the rules. One is for a quicker game, the second is that it feels like a Napoleonic battle. I've read several who decry the lack of "granularity" in V&F. It *is* kind of cool to have musketry rules that allow a bonus for First Volley, differentiate between short & long range, take weather into account etc. But not if it means you run a game for hours and still don't have the time to finish. So - a trade-off.

Now you, as an expert on SYW gaming will appreciate that the SYW rules you use aren't nearly as complex as some/most Napoleonic sets but you still have satisfying games that look & feel SYW-ish.
So, we will see.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 06 Jan 2024, 20:35

Donald I am a strong advocate of simple rules with lots of figures! I feel the same way about Napoleonics as I have a large collection for the Waterloo Campaign.
A few game shots from many moons ago.

I am very surprised you have not been captured by the Black Powder net. I have played and run many games the rules are okay in my view but can be taught as you play which is very helpful with my group of gamers.

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Jan 2024, 06:00

Very cool set-up, Paul.
I am using 'Hail Caesar' so BP isn't out of the question - let's see how V&F go over a half dozen or so more games.

I guess many gamers would be happy doing ONE Horse & Musket period but you, like me, do two.
I could give you plenty of reasons why this is madness but for me the good outweighs the evil. One reason is the 2 periods, only separated by a few decades, are so very different.

You want to buy in?

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 07 Jan 2024, 20:08

Oh I am way in Donald!!
And I am not recommending Black Powder rules by any means. The games I showed above I actually used the first version of Shako rules they had a large scale game variant in the back which I thought was excellent. Very simple elegant system to fight out big battles like Waterloo etc in a short time period, a few hours. I know I did it.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to General Wargaming