General Wargaming

ECW: Victory without Quarter - 1st game

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Apr 2023, 07:39

I was going to run a solo game or two to get used to the rules but an opportunity to play a game against some of my pals arose so I went for it. The game is a free set of rules designed for fast play ECW battles. It is card-driven, simple yet redolent of an ECW-flavour.

The scenario used about 75% of my figures & involved a Scottish Covenanter army trying to wrest control of 3 objectives from a English Royalist army. Additional Victory Points were to be gained by damaging or destroying enemy units.
Figures are mostly metal, Tumbling Dice 1/72 scale.

The table with the two armies deployed.

Re-enforcements. To arrive when the right card was drawn. This was nail-biting in that the Royalists arrived quickly whereas the Covenanters late- in the nick of time.

My beloved Covenanters have always been 'easy-beats' so I was keen to see them in action in a game that gave them potential.

I and a friend who'd never wargamed before took the Royalists. We built up a strong right flank & waited for re-enforcements to arrive on the left whilst our excellent cavalry dominated the centre.

Meanwhile, the Covenanters quickly seized strong points.

The Scottish artillery played a pivotal role.

Amazingly, the inferior Scottish cavalry drove off the over confident Cavaliers

Prince Rupert was killed though his dog, Puddle, joined up with a Royalist courier, sent by Charles to seek aid.
Too late.
Biggest disappointment? My Scottish dragoons who did nothing.

The game & rules were both great. We played it out in under 3 1/2 hours but keep in mind I was the only one who'd read the rules prior to the game & although two of my pals are veteran wargamers, the fourth wasn't. Bigger, faster games in the future, I think.

I was worried the card deck might prove to be intrusive. It wasn't. The Event cards were a great hit. I think there may be too many artillery cards so we will cut these back next time. The only other proposed tweak is to allow units to "shimmy" sidewards or backwards for 2" in the movement section.

The rules seem to be what I've been looking for.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by MABO on 10 Apr 2023, 07:45

Good to read, that you spend a nice time. Your figures looks very good on the table. :yeah:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 10 Apr 2023, 08:13

A visual feast as always Mr Ochin.

Lovely figures and great wargame scenery.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Apr 2023, 17:32

Do any of the card driven game rules include cards that allow normal decision making in the traditional manner? I rather like the idea of a hybrid game where you have some control but never know exactly where or when. To me it seemed battles were predestined by orders with things spinning increasingly out of control for the most part until reaching a conclusion. Allowing random intervention would certainly help keep me involved. My compliments on your room and gaming tables, always neat and orderly and very inviting. I can see why you have a circle of friends always willing to muster up a game.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Apr 2023, 20:45

As always, it's down to personal taste. I didn't like the card system in 'The Flame & the Sword' which was totally random.

What makes this different to TSATF is that the card not only activates single units but also it can also activate commanders. This means you can get substantial parts of your army working as one – it's not always piecemeal.
This gives a greater sense of action. AND it gives commanders a genuine role.

The "other" cards benefit, too. The Reload cards, the Event cards & he Re-enforcement card I added for this scenario.

Does the stop-start nature of the VWQ deck mirror the amateur nature of ECW command? I think so. We used two 'turnover' cards which meant sometimes rapid back & forth & sometimes quite long periods of issuing orders.

Finally, I believe the card system makes for successful solo games - so I've read.

As for the space, I feel like apologising for the piles of paint tins in the corner covered by a tarp. - we're having the outside of the house painted. So messy.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Susofrick on 11 Apr 2023, 10:00

Good game and pics! Remember a picture of Rupert and his dog from the book Wargame by Peter Young.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 11 Apr 2023, 10:25

Good-looking ECW forces and an interesting game by the sound of things. Great stuff!

PS: Sad to see Prince Rupert slain in this battle, but no doubt a glorious death. I'd always known his famous dog by the name of 'Boye', so perhaps 'Puddle' was an alternative canine friend? https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/P ... t-Dog-Boy/
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 11 Apr 2023, 12:46

Minuteman wrote:
PS: Sad to see Prince Rupert slain in this battle, but no doubt a glorious death. I'd always known his famous dog by the name of 'Boye', so perhaps 'Puddle' was an alternative canine friend? https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/P ... t-Dog-Boy/

Hello, MM. I'm sure "Boye" was a pet name. I call my boy that.
And you must have seen this period cartoon-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/c ... evolution/

Poor Rupert attached himself to a veteran unit of "gallopers" with his bodyguard. They lost casualties in a melee & Rupert was hit but the rules allow you to substitute the bodyguard - as I'd cunningly planned. Sadly, the unit was then in range of the Covenanter cannon which was followed by a charge of inferior but lucky Scots lancers. Rupert fell valiantly.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Rich W on 12 Apr 2023, 22:44

Great set up Donald!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 20 Apr 2023, 07:38

That wargaming table looks awesome.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to General Wargaming