General Wargaming

Valour & Fortitude: a new rule set

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Jan 2023, 11:23

I've set up for tomorrow's big game using the new 'Valour & Fortitude' rules:

The Russians need to push through the French Imperial Guard and take 4 objectives- numbers on their side if not quality.

General Raevski has a Corps sized force
Marshall Mortier has elements of Old, Middle & Young Guard:

Reserves will be committed throughout the battle

More tomorrow....

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Fire at Will on 07 Jan 2023, 14:01

Let us know how it goes
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 07 Jan 2023, 23:58

I was very excited to learn about these rules and immediately downloaded them. Very similar tothe stripped-down version I was trying to work out on my own so I may not have to bother. Let us know how the mechanics and the fun vs historical accuracy thing works out. May you have an exciting and enjoyable game.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Eta: rules can be found at the Perry bros website.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Rich W on 08 Jan 2023, 00:58

Looks good! Looking forward to the post game report!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Jan 2023, 09:18

I posted shots of the set-up yesterday-and I want to post my thoughts about the game.

We chose the slightly modified scenario from the website _ Assault. In 8 game turns, the French managed to hold out a relentless Russian force as night fell. Each force had 6 brigades, losing only one each as damaged brigades can leave the line and be rallied if your army is large enough.

We finished the game in a fairly timely manner & I have bad news. I may well have played my last game of General d'Armee, Shako & other Napoleonic rule sets. And this is because 'V&F' ticks nearly every box. Yes, it's that good IMO.

I should say these rules were not what I expected. They're touted as simple & as fast play. They are more than this - there's a lot of subtilty in them and the individual army sheets stop them being bland.

I like a game that looks like a Napoleonic battle & the rules encourage a use of correct formations & combined arms:

The various elements seem in the correct balance. Artillery is useful but not overwhelming. Infantry battalions & brigades used open order, line, attack columns & march columns as needed. Cavalry had a genuine role apart from fighting other cavalry. Command needed to be carefully managed to ensure you got what you wanted. I am very impressed that the rules allowed a competitive game between the often over-rated French Imperial Guard & the often despised Russians. The two armies were not identical but each had its strengths & weaknesses, allowing for a compelling game.

Because they move at a cracking pace, you can position the armies at a distance & manoeuvre without this taking all day. Although we began at the far ends of the table, shots were fired in Turn 2 & charges happened in Turn 3.

This isn't the proverbial beginner's rule set. Although brief, they expect the gamer to have a considerable knowledge of the era & of Napoleonic gaming. Written by professional expert rule writers, they encapsulate a lifetime's knowledge of the era.

Are they 100% perfect? Of course not. There are some aspects you may not agree with (use of skirmish lines for me) but some compromises make this an eminently playable set of rules.

Clearly, people will have other opinions. I was looking for a Big Battle show set of rules but I think I've found our go-to Napoleonic rules.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Kekso on 08 Jan 2023, 16:50

Without you, Donald and few other people, this subforum would be "dead".
Thank you for keeping it up and interesting.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 08 Jan 2023, 17:39

A good looking Napoleonic game and a useful account of these rules, which I have to say are new to me (I hadn't heard of them previously).

But they look like a good set of rules, and I'll certainly be heading to the Perry site to have a look and probably download them.

Thanks for the game report, useful and inspiring as always.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 08 Jan 2023, 18:21

Thank you very much Donald for your full reporting on this rule set. After several years of investigation and buying various rules all had issues especially for novices. perhaps I could learn the rules but I have no one locally who would want to bother learning anything so complex. From you description it sounds like it does tick the boxes I desire; playable while retaining the essential need for formations and combined arms attacks. From what I've read of history those were the basic elements to determining victory. One can invest a considerable amount of time learning a new game system and your description has helped me to narrow it down to V&F for my starting set. As you say they are written for gamers already familiar with advanced rules as there are some gaps. It seemed very flexible on the rules about skirmishers, did you find it too flexible perhaps? Thank you again for your thoroughness and writing it all up to share with us.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Jan 2023, 20:18

Bessiere wrote: did you find it too flexible perhaps?
Bessiere

There's the question. It will come down to your views as to whether these rules are any good.
I can say, without fear of contradiction, they're worth what they cost :xd:

I should add I think they'll be good for solo play.

Distance is a tyrant BTW. You would undoubtedly fit perfectly into our little group of wargamers but because we are probably literally on the other side of the planet, this won't happen.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Jan 2023, 20:29

A few more photos...

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bessiere on 09 Jan 2023, 04:21

I certainly would love to observe and get to meet some folks but as you say distance is a killer. I do live in a populated area but Napoleonics are not a widely beloved topic nor miniature gaming so far as I know. But good rules would include solo play as I'm positive I can pull that off. If you find yourself on the East Coast of the US (virginia) look me up and we'll play in my game room.
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by PaulRPetri on 10 Jan 2023, 02:25

Donald that is one fantastic looking game!! For those interested, Bessiere this is for you, Little Wars TV did a how to play Valour & Fortitude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW9m6GHZBEQ&t=25s

I think they are going to have a game next.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by PaulRPetri on 10 Jan 2023, 17:41

This just dropped from the Little Wars TV men a review of the rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ZCN9sKtGI

Posted by Ochoin on 10 Jan 2023, 20:13

Thanks, Paul.

The chaps from Little Wars TV are amongst the current best aspects of the hobby. I'll watch this video with great interest.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by PaulRPetri on 10 Jan 2023, 23:18

I am glad I can add something positive to the conversation!
Yes the Little Wars TV guys are doing yeoman's work!

Posted by MABO on 11 Jan 2023, 08:11

Thanks for discussing about. I also downloaded the new rules and Mr. Andrea and I thought about to give them a try. We played Black Powder one time, which leaves me desperate, because of the complexity of all the options. I am not in the mood to learn all of them and we didn't practice them very often because we normally play DBA.
Maybe V&F can be the solution, let's see...
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 11 Jan 2023, 08:13

I forget to say how much I like table and figures! :yeah: :-D
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to General Wargaming