Poll ended at 12 Jan 2010, 12:18

Bang
63%
Prussian Artillery, 1806
38%

Total votes : 32

Posted by Adam on 05 Jan 2010, 12:18

Here is the 24th duel folks!

The rules this time were an artillery action duel, and two great ones they are.

You have a week to choose your winner. Once again gentlemen take your places and may the best painter win.
Please leave comments until after the duel has finished

Bang!

vs

Prussian Artillery, 1806

Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Adam on 13 Jan 2010, 01:54

congrats to Paul and Cole on another fine duel, and conrgat to Paul on winning, and well done for him reminding me to end it also. :-D
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by The Grumbler on 13 Jan 2010, 08:06

Congrats to both of you but especially Paul for winning :-D

Cole your painting is starting to really come along congratulations on a fine piece. :thumbup:

A little critique if I may. You're starting now to exhibit a very clean and crisp style of painting. What you must now do in order to go the next step is to pay attention to detail. Firstly the skin tones need some work. Try a lighter basecoat for the faces, there is still too much contrast between the darkest shadows and the lightest highlights for my tastes. Don't rush this process by only doing a basecoat then one highlight.It should be a minimum of at least four stages. You'll learn patience as you get older like me :oldman:

Secondly the cannon barrel. It has a massive mould line along it's length which is a split second excercise to get rid of in the prepainting stage :nono: Also it may be the light but the barrel seems too bright. Research your colors. Lttle details like this make all the difference to how people perceive your work

I'm enjoying watching your painting skills improve dramatically as I'm sure many others on these forums who know you are as well. Just remember as Konrad says "one of the ways is patience" and he is right. It won't be long and you will be a fully fledged Jedi Knight :thumbup:

The (Master) Grumbler
The Grumbler  Australia

Posted by west1871 on 13 Jan 2010, 08:57

Congrats to the both of you on another great duel :thumbup: Well done Paul on winning :thumbup: :thumbup:

The smoke is a great idea :love: :love: Really brings it to life :thumbup:
Colef mate,the Grumblers right.That barrel does seem a bit bright.but it was still a close duel :thumbup:
west1871  United Kingdom

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 13 Jan 2010, 09:16

Congratulations Paul! Seems that the servants have not too much trust in their gun and they are a bit scared about the noise, fire and vibration. It looks exactly like the gun crew in "medieval2-total war" This was a great idea. You got my voice for that.

Congrats to both of you for a fine duel! :thumbup:
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by monty on 13 Jan 2010, 09:47

congratulations to both of you on a fine duel :thumbup:
monty  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Dad's Army on 13 Jan 2010, 10:38

Both good vignettes, and fun to see two methods of making smoke..

:thumbup: concrats to the both of you!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 13 Jan 2010, 10:47

A great duel! And I managed to vote! Great painting both of you. With that title I should have guessed it was Paul's, Cole's is easy and fondly recognizable. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by ColeF on 13 Jan 2010, 13:52

Great job Paul! You are definately the better of us. :thumbup:

Alright Dave. :mrgreen:
I have started to paint a fourth level on Zvezda figs. But these HaT figs take an age to get any more detail on there little faces, than I did.
Everything else I blame on the camera:
My colors on the cannon/barrel were almost perfect. I used this as a guide:
http://www.nva-forum.de/nva-board/uploa ... 109657.jpg
The mould line is very slight and besides, it helped darken the underside of the barrel! :-) :-)
No really, These pix make something not bad at all, look terrible. :?

So, I am quite pleased with my painting right now. What I need to improve now is my picture taking. ;-)
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by arkhunter2002 on 13 Jan 2010, 14:17

Congrats Paul!

Cole, on top of what the grumbler said, the only other thing is the figure all the way to the right in the first pic looks off balanced. I love the mud on the cannon wheels along with the ruts in the groundwork, it really adds to the scene. And don't worry about Macro pictures making stuff look bad...lol :oops: We've all been there...

Paul, I love your cannon, esp the smoke from the "flash in the pan", but it seems to me like the figures aren't interacting within the two photos provided (to me it looks like they are doing their own thing).

Take care,
Austin
arkhunter2002  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 13 Jan 2010, 16:51

@Cole, nice one mate. I´m the better of us?? :nono: :-)
I´m pinching your idea for making smoke, I prefer it to mine.
@Austin. They are doing their own thing, namely getting away from what could be a potentially lethal bit of kit blowing up!! Apparently they did blow up quite regularily. I was going to have the gun "kicking up" due to recoil but I got lazy (and I thought, someone will think, "the wheels aren´t on the ground!!"
@Thomas, medieval II, I´ve never played it ;-) ;-) :-)
@Adam, I was just testing the new Telegraph E-mail service :-)
Paul  China

Posted by musketier on 13 Jan 2010, 19:46

interesting I liked Paul's work over Cole's entry because I think the smoke affect sold me. Both are very good and I agree with comments about the Prussian gun barrel a little too bright on the bronze, what paints did you use for that part Cole? Bronze is a tricky color to paint and get correct. All in all you both do much better work than I do. Keep up the good work :thumbup:
musketier  United States of America

Posted by Maurice on 13 Jan 2010, 21:41

Yeah me fav has won so congrats Paul :thumbup:

It was me fav because of the more unusual subject of a 15th century gun rather then the so maniest nappy gun, the painting was nice, as well as the set up, and the smoke/fire effect looked good as well.
Maurice  

Posted by Peter on 15 Jan 2010, 16:34

Congrats to both of you :thumbup: It was no surprise for me when this showed up, this was an announced duel. Good work of both :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by ColeF on 28 Oct 2010, 22:10

Hope I'm not 'necro-posting', but I entered this in the county fair recently and received Best in Show out of the whole youth category (a few hundred entries on various subjects)
for which I got a, um, substantial sum of money that will amply cover any costs (esp. since these were HaT test shots :-P ).
ColeF  United States of America

Posted by Maurice on 29 Oct 2010, 07:05

:winky: :rabbit: :la:
Maurice  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by ModernKiwi on 29 Oct 2010, 09:07

Well done Cole.
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by Paul on 29 Oct 2010, 10:58

ColeF wrote:Hope I'm not 'necro-posting', but I entered this in the county fair recently and received Best in Show out of the whole youth category (a few hundred entries on various subjects)
for which I got a, um, substantial sum of money that will amply cover any costs (esp. since these were HaT test shots :-P ).

Nice one......do I get a percentage :-)
@Maurice...where did you find the cute little smiley with the sign.... :-)
Paul  China

Posted by west1871 on 29 Oct 2010, 19:14

Nice one mate :thumbup:
west1871  United Kingdom

Posted by Maurice on 29 Oct 2010, 20:08

Paul wrote:@Maurice...where did you find the cute little smiley with the sign.... :-)

The internet ;)
Maurice  

Return to The Duelling Field