Tutorials

Need to pick the Brethren's tiny minds!

Posted by Harry Faversham on 07 Sep 2023, 12:04

Basing a boat on a river, bright blue won't cut it, so wot's a good Vallejo grey/green colour to represent the water, please?

:oops:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Sep 2023, 13:51

Harry, I'm going to be pedantic - sorry.

Water colour is different depending on where you are. EG the "blue" Danube is indeed bluer than the muddy Thames. And also depending on season & time of day.

BTW this is worse with ocean colours. The Atlantic is a grey-green but where I live, the Pacific is often a shade of blue that looks almost ridiculously fake.
https://www.queensland.com/gb/en/places ... queensland

So, the bottom line is almost any blue, green, grey, brown will be accurate for some body of water, somewhere.

If you want a specific body of water, google it & match the colour against a Vallejo colour chart.

cheers, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by steve_pickstock on 07 Sep 2023, 21:53

I agree with Ochoin, this is an extremely subjective area, depending on where the diorama is located.

I normally start with a band the colour of the ground to mark where the bank goes into the water. Then a deep green/dark blue mix, for water in the middle of the body. I don't worry about the colour too much just what works. This colour is then thinned out so it blends with the groundwork.

I work on the principal that the water at the bank/shore is clear enough to see the bottom but gets deeper, and less translucent further out.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Harry Faversham on 08 Sep 2023, 08:59

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.
Harry Faversham  England

Return to Tutorials