General

Photo of Russian miniatures

Posted by Renzo on 05 Jan 2023, 21:15

Hi everyone,

I am the developer of this online game:
http://www.campagne-de-russie.com/screenshot.php

and I am currently developing a V2 after 13 years!

You can see a preview of the new game to come here:
http://www.campagne-de-russie.com/demo-ville.html

To build the graphic, I took photos of my own miniatures, but there are some I don't have. Especially on the Russian side.

I would like to ask if someone can offer some of his time to take some pictures of his miniatures?

I know it's some work and I have nothing to offer in return. I'm just offering this game for free to anyone on the internet since 2007. Maybe that is enough, is it? The game is 100% free without any purchase in game.

I'm particularly interested in:
- Opolchenie irregular infantry (Russia)
- Irregular cossacks (Russia)
- Cuirassiers (Russia)
- Dragoons (Russia)
- Mounted Jagers (Russia)

I can provide some guidance of what I need if someone is kind enough to help me in this quest.

If you have any question, I would be happy to reply

Kindly
Renzo  United Kingdom

Posted by Renzo on 07 Jan 2023, 16:21

By the way, there is another option: 3D scanning.

I just tried yesterday for the first time, it's quite amazing. I've done that with an App found on Android Play, and it's very satisfying.

Have you ever tried?

Btw, if anyone is in London, we can meet too

Best
Renzo  United Kingdom

Posted by zirrian on 09 Jan 2023, 18:47

Renzo wrote:By the way, there is another option: 3D scanning.

I just tried yesterday for the first time, it's quite amazing. I've done that with an App found on Android Play, and it's very satisfying.

Have you ever tried?

Btw, if anyone is in London, we can meet too

Best

Got myself an Openscan Classic for Christmas, having great results, just printed out a 1:35 Tamiya Comet crewman in 1:72 :)
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Renzo on 09 Jan 2023, 20:30

Haha, I'm a bit jealous now :)

It doesn't scan the texture tho. As it's for printing I imagine?

I reckon I can still paint them in blender. What can of file do you get from you scanner?
Renzo  United Kingdom

Posted by zirrian on 10 Jan 2023, 17:29

Renzo wrote:Haha, I'm a bit jealous now :)

It doesn't scan the texture tho. As it's for printing I imagine?

I reckon I can still paint them in blender. What can of file do you get from you scanner?

It works with photogrammetry - so it takes a bunch of photos (50-300), and puts the 3d model together from that. If you want it for 3d printing, you should spray it black and then mist it with white so the surface has a ton of white dots, but if you want to use it for something like your project, I think simply scanning a painted mini would work too, as you can export the model in .obj along with a .mtl file containing the surface from Metashape. I can scan a painted figure for your over the weekend to check...
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Renzo on 10 Jan 2023, 22:45

zirrian wrote:It works with photogrammetry

Nice. That would work indeed. OBJ files work well in Blender. I already tried with a file generated by the Kiri Engine App.

But do you have Russian minis though? If yes, I would be very interested to test!
Renzo  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by zirrian on 11 Jan 2023, 17:22

Renzo wrote:
Nice. That would work indeed. OBJ files work well in Blender. I already tried with a file generated by the Kiri Engine App.

But do you have Russian minis though? If yes, I would be very interested to test!

Nothing painted I'm afraid, I have a bunch of Zvezda kits in their boxes, but not sure which of those would fit the bill...but I will scan you some other mini, and then you can decide if you would like to pursue 3D scanning :)
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by steve_pickstock on 11 Jan 2023, 19:06

Hi Renzo.
I'm sorry I cannot assist with figure images, which I think is a good idea by the way. However, as you seem particularly capable, computer graphics wise, you could try the Histoire & Collections publication Borodino (providing you can find a copy that will not cost you an arm, a leg and a couple of kidneys.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Borodino-Franc ... B00SLSQ0LG
There is a pdf on Scribd you might find useful.
https://www.scribd.com/document/2484871 ... odino-1812

The illustrations are precise and as far as I know, (it isn't my period, but it is an impressive body of illustrations) quite comprehensive, complete with images of standards.

On another note I was looking at your link to the new version. Awesome work. However, if I may? You might want to have a second look at the rooves of buildings. Some of them look a bit flat. Perhaps a greater differentiation between the colours or add a bit of height to the ridge lines. Only a suggestion .
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Renzo on 11 Jan 2023, 19:45

zirrian wrote:Nothing painted I'm afraid, I have a bunch of Zvezda kits in their boxes, but not sure which of those would fit the bill...but I will scan you some other mini, and then you can decide if you would like to pursue 3D scanning :)

Sure, I'm interested to try in any case :mrgreen:
If you have some photos of your Zvezda kits, I will be able to tell you if that could do the job
Renzo  United Kingdom

Posted by Renzo on 11 Jan 2023, 19:56

Hi Steve,

thank you for your message. I'm not sure how the books could be useful. What did you have in mind?

Regarding the building, I tried to find some buildings of Moscow around 1800 but I haven't found much. I did find some paintings, but the city is rarely the main subject. I based my design on the city of Saint Petersburg, and as you can see on this picture, the roofs are not particularly steep:

I would love to have more historical sources, so feel free to share if you have any good recommendations!

And as you seem interested in the work, let's share the 2 other links I have:
http://www.campagne-de-russie.com/demo-colline.html
http://www.campagne-de-russie.com/demo-village.html

Kindly

Renzo
Renzo  United Kingdom

Posted by steve_pickstock on 11 Jan 2023, 22:15

Yes, the rooves do appear to be flattened. Please forget I mentioned it.

With regard to the book - and bearing in mind I only have the most rudimentary knowledge of how these things work, I wondered whether you could re-skin existing 'models' using the book as reference for the new skins.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Renzo on 12 Jan 2023, 10:24

Not really. I need to generated images of a unit in the 8 directions:

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

The only way really is either:
- taking photos of a miniature in the 8 directions and with the correct angle
- 3D modeling (but it's taking too much time)
- 3D scanning, which is basically creating a 3D model from a miniature

For now, the issue is I either find someone who has no mini but has a scanner or someone with mini but with no camera or scanner :sweatdrop:
Renzo  United Kingdom

Return to General