Work in Progress

Dismounted Scythian Warriors

Posted by Frankzett on 12 May 2010, 21:49

Hello all,
here are some of my pieces I've done last winter. Some know these greens from "Modellfiguren-Online"; they are the "sculpting-generation" before the Swiss infantry.
I make there my first experiences with Green Stuff + Magic Sculpt - the yellow is Tamiya Epoxi Putty - but primary I try to make body motion studies in 1:72 to see what's possible for me. So I think it'll be not so easy to make moulds, but before the figures need some revision for mouldmaking........of course.

I sculpted the weapons (shields, javelins, swords and quivers) separate, to have - if they ever made in tin - alternatives by adding different weapons in different positions; and I didn't sculpt the arrows.

The figures are dismounted Scythian warriors and they will work with the Scythian riders from Zvezda - but they are more slim than the Zvezda ones. And there are a few more figures of this subject in the pipeline....

Greetings
Frank
Frankzett  

Posted by GEM on 12 May 2010, 22:38

they look lovely.
GEM  Portugal

Posted by Alex on 12 May 2010, 22:48

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Very good! The poses are very lively, the proportions of correct figures and theme - very, very interesting to many collectors! Very much like the larger photos! 8)
Alex  Russia
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Paul on 13 May 2010, 07:11

Ah! the Der Kampf bis auf's Messer and the Es war einmal in der Steppe. Great figures mate. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Paul  China

Posted by Dad's Army on 13 May 2010, 09:18

The last ones are suberb, these poses are so real!
Good stuff :thumbup:
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Phalanx on 13 May 2010, 10:28

Great stuff :thumbup: :thumbup:
Phalanx  Germany

In memoriam

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Phersu on 13 May 2010, 11:50

Great figures! :love:
Very good details and proportions,
I particulary like the dynamic fighting figures! :notworthy:

Frankzett wrote:I think it'll be not so easy to make moulds, but before the figures need some revision for mouldmaking........of course.

I sculpted the weapons (shields, javelins, swords and quivers) separate, to have - if they ever made in tin - alternatives by adding different weapons in different positions; and I didn't sculpt the arrows.

Moldmaking is often not so easy.
Anyway these figures don't seem very difficult, sure not impossible if you cast them with separate weapons.
As long as I can see there aren't deep cavities or parts protruding in wrong directions, the features seem all more or less compatible to the plan of the figures and moldmaking. :thumbup:
Phersu  Italy

In memoriam

Posted by Cor V. on 13 May 2010, 12:01

Brilliant. :love: :love: :thumbup:
Cor V.  

Posted by monty on 13 May 2010, 15:34

nice hats :-D :thumbup: :thumbup: love the sculpting
monty  United Kingdom

Posted by Frankzett on 13 May 2010, 21:22

Thank's for the compliments. Yes the pictures are ugly, I've done it by scanning - a very rough method.

I've a few projects in the pipeline but we'll see what's happening with this Scythians. First I'll build up my Burgundian Wars range, then the Scythians (some people may know what I mean). But let's see the separate sculpted goritoi (quivers), sagaris (axes) and some akinakai (swords). They are scanned again - and I see again, it isn'the best method..... :?
With the quivers I try to sculp some steppe-ornaments with fighting griffins, deers and capricorns - I hope You recognize the contorted bodies.

Alex I know It would be one of the topics of your country's history. We'll see when they came in production 8) .

Greetings
Frank
Frankzett  

Posted by Alex on 13 May 2010, 21:39

Frankzett- :notworthy:
I even took part in archaeological excavations, when he was a student. On this subject a lot of information, but if you need something special - I find this information for you
Alex  Russia
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Dunc0127 on 14 May 2010, 11:39

Hi Frank

The sculpting is fanstastic - esp the dio figures...so life like - excellent work dear fellow...excellent :thumbup: :thumbup: :love: :love:
Dunc0127  Germany

Posted by je_touche on 14 May 2010, 12:15

Alex wrote:Frankzett- :notworthy:
I even took part in archaeological excavations, when he was a student. On this subject a lot of information, but if you need something special - I find this information for you

Frank is a professional archeologist himself. So when he is not making little men he is wearing a slouch hat and wielding a bullwhip. :mrgreen:
je_touche  

Posted by Frankzett on 14 May 2010, 12:28

O.k. o.k. je_tuoche 8)
But only without a bullwhip. And at the time out of order.
Frankzett  

Posted by poky on 14 May 2010, 15:06

lovely details the hand to hand poses turned out really well :thumbup:
poky  Netherlands

Posted by Tantallon2 on 14 May 2010, 19:34

I like these! :-D

Did you say they will be metal figures? When will they be available to buy?

:thumbup:
Tantallon2  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Frankzett on 15 May 2010, 15:07

Thank's for the compliment again,
yeah, I like the fighting poses too. So I think it's interesting, especially for building dioramas, to create such skirmish-scenes, which are so typical for the prehistoric periode, with interacting figures . Here we need no different "ethno-styles" of warriors, no uniformity - they can bash each other in their coloured clothing ;-) .

@ Tantallon
when I come out of the costs with my previous figure sets i will lay up the next. But at the time i build up the Burgundian Wars range and it is necessary to revise the Scythian figures for mouldmaking.
So it depends on the inquiry when a new set is available to buy.
But I'll come back to prehistoric/ancient topics, sure.

@...and we'll see Alex, I don't speak Russian; so for example: Are there some groups of "Scythian living history" in Russia or the Ukraine? Reenactment photos are not bad to see the clothing in action. Such stuff would be stimulating for sculpting more in my Scythian range........

Greetings
Frank
Frankzett  

Posted by Frankzett on 13 Dec 2015, 16:28

After a long time I sculpted the Scythians ready for making moulds. I made some rework with them; cutting the shieldarms for various shields, bore the right arms for alternative weapons.
The first group of five dismounted warriors:

For the fotos I fix the shields and weapons tith tape

And the second group with an other shield grip; fighting and grappling warriors:
with their weapons

And I do some horse men:
The first, a warrior in ambush:

A scythian armored warrior laying down with his wounded horse:

A wounded armored warrior falling from his stumbling horse:

Greetings
Frank
Frankzett  

Posted by Tantallon2 on 13 Dec 2015, 16:42

Wow! These look great. When will they be available to buy?
Tantallon2  Scotland

Posted by k.b. on 13 Dec 2015, 17:15

Absolutely brilliant Frank! These lads are going to look out of this world when painted! When, where and how can I buy some?
Surely the hardest thing for sculptors is to make two or more figures realistically interact in a fighting mode! You have carried it off in style!!! (As indeed can Alex and Massimo and quite a few others on this site)!
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Next page

Return to Work in Progress