Work in Progress

The Battle of Aspern Essling 21/22nd May 1809

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 20 Apr 2024, 23:04

It's going to be great!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Apr 2024, 07:40

:coffee: Wonderful, absolutely Wonderful. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 22 Apr 2024, 20:19

Essling ‘Schloss’ Essling.

The oldest form of the place name, according to my research was Ezzelaren.[1] The Eslarn family had important roles in the Vienna city administration. Konrad von Eslarn was mayor of Vienna in 1287. From about 1590, the place name changed into Ehsling or Essling.

Michael’s excellent 1809 blog states that a farm was converted in 1378 to a fortification and was then developed, over time into the ‘ Schloss’. This impressive building with its stables and church on the road opposite was severely damaged during the action. Nevertheless, the building in its present form still occupies its position and now features a very nice restaurant.

The 1820 map shows the extent of this edifice along the Main Street.

Once again I am beholden to Thomas Brandsletter for his brilliant research on town houses. Essling seems to have been more municipal than Aspern with its buildings reflecting this.

This link is informative.

https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/202 ... wn-houses/

In Austria, the 1780s saw the emergence of the so-called “Plattenstil” (panel style), with smooth, regular panels and a bright, single-coloured coat of paint – in Austria, but also in Bavaria often in a yellow ochre called “Schönbrunner Gelb” (or “Barockgelb”).

I have therefore utilised this information, the battle print and the current structure to provide the basis of my building.

Whilst the original building has a top floor stretch of fourteen windows this would make a massive frontage. Essling, smaller than Aspern is about eighty centimetres long for my purposes and I wish to have dwellings/ barns etc as well as civic properties on the site. I have therefore reduced the length whilst hopefully still retaining the ‘feel’ of the place.

Having cut out the many windows I proceeded to attach the window features and using balsa constructed the panelling, primarily on the facade.

The Baroque look seems to be, upon investigating the rear of the building via Google Earth, to be less decorated than the imposing frontage.

Lots to do.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 02 May 2024, 15:02

Part two.

Having assembled the building, roof and chimneys I mixed up a suitable colour scheme as shown.

I decided not to glaze the windows as I wish to be able to place troops inside in order that they can shoot outside. To this effect a floor was also placed inside the construction.

The Essling coat of arms was taken off the net and reduced to size. I was originally going to mould it from Greenstuff but I thought the shield was attractive. The building has a clock now but, as per the Schuttkasten, the church would be the official time keeper for the village so the coat of arms it is.

Lots to do.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 03 May 2024, 16:35

Very nice building! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress