Work in Progress

The Alamo Project

Posted by PaulRPetri on 06 Jan 2024, 01:32

I guess being an American and 60 plus years of age it was a forgone conclusion that at some point I would have to do an Alamo game. I think it's a law or something. Anyway last year I started looking around to see who made a nice Alamo set. Turns out Sarissa-Precision makes one in 20mm scale.
https://sarissa-precision.com/products/ ... e-set-20mm

So I ordered me one and started assembling buildings. I took no pictures of any of that spontaneous work! Oh well. But here are afew shots of what I have finished. Some painted troops to follow.

A picture of the South Gate.

Close up of the redoubt at the gate.

Southwest Corner.

West Wall.

North wall.

Northeast corner.

East wall.

South east corner.

So that is a start. I will try to get some finished troop photo's up in the next few days.
As always,
Thanks for looking
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by PaulRPetri on 06 Jan 2024, 16:44

Here are a few pictures of my completed troops.

First off the Mexican Forces.

Some repurposed US 7th Cavalry.

Followed by some repurposed Napoleonic troops. Can you guess who they are?

The whole force.

Some very interesting books on the Alamo.

The Texian Force. Mostly IMEX with a few "Others" tossed in.

Thanks for looking.

Posted by C M Dodson on 06 Jan 2024, 18:56

Excellent stuff indeed.

The officers are Hat and Itallieri of course.

I fought this action with my late friend Peter with his fantastic scenery, like yours.

I was Santa Anna and won. Ho ho!

Keep up the good work .

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 06 Jan 2024, 20:27

Thanks Chris and you are correct with your guess!
Also the first 4 Mexican troops pictured are actually ESCI Russian Napoleonic troops! Yikes!

Paul

Posted by Beano Boy on 07 Jan 2024, 14:13

:cowboy: Great guns in the morning!
:coffee: Nice work Paul, i love it all. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by k.b. on 07 Jan 2024, 18:05

Fabulous work on a fabulous project. As you say which of us miniature wargaming fans haven’t tried to replicate this heroic stand by the Americans/Texans against Santa Ana. Between 1969-1975 or so yours truly reproduced the Alamo defences in LEGO and my Airfix French Cuirassiers, and French Line Infantry were the stalwarts of the Mexican Army and the High Chaparral figures including John and Victoria Canon, Buck, Blueboy, and Monólito played the main American characters. Aaa………ah, those were the days!
Ps/ Your set up is much more impressive Paul and can’t wait for the action to begin and history be rewritten one more time.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by PaulRPetri on 07 Jan 2024, 20:13

Thanks very much Benno and k.b.! I have made more progress on the buildings and will do an update next week I think when I get a bit farther.

Posted by Ochoin on 07 Jan 2024, 21:41

Being way-too fond of fancy uniforms, I have a soft spot for the Mexicans. Having one of the worst generals in history probably means this unequal struggle should not be easy for them. Poor dears.

I'm eager to read details of the fight.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Michael Robert on 08 Jan 2024, 14:50

Hello Paul,
wonderful project, and yes, as a non American it does not exert such a level of fascination to me :). In Europe, we have far too much other decisive confrontations, most of them largely unknown or under-represented in the wargaming community which has a dominance of British and Amercian actives.
You rendering is really nice and I appreciate the use of French and Russian fellows to represent Mexican uniforms. Historically, these uniforms were entirely inspired by the European fashion inherited from the Napoleonic wars ;)
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 09 Jan 2024, 15:25

Thanks Donald and Michael I appreciate the interest.

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Jan 2024, 20:07

Wonderful and massive project, Paul. I love not only the buildings, but also the nice figures! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by PaulRPetri on 09 Jan 2024, 22:00

Thanks Santi! I hope I finish it and don't have to sell it off in failed frustration!

Posted by Kekso on 14 Jan 2024, 09:34

Nice project. Well done.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 15 Jan 2024, 11:45

When an American comes of age they must recreate the Alamo in miniature form. Great buildings!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by PaulRPetri on 18 Jan 2024, 20:14

Sorry for the delay in responding to some comments here I have had a heck of time getting the forum to load onto my computer. Anyway thanks Kesko and CliosPaintingBench for the kind comments. I have made more progress on the buildings.

So the buildings are done I need to work on the interior grounds a bit more. The only snafu has been some warping of the interior ground sections. Oh Well. The set did not include a small redoubt on the inside of the compound facing the main gate so I will have to make that from scratch. Now I have to paint about 400 Mexican soldiers and about 90 Texians. Long way to go to storm the Alamo but plenty of troops to start skirmish gaming.
Thanks for looking!

Posted by Ochoin on 19 Jan 2024, 06:18

The set-up is looking very nice. The contrast between the aged but stylish structures & the new, crude field works is very effective.

As I am way too fond of flags, I have to ask, did they have a flagpole & what flag did they fly?

donald

BTW are you going to include the non-combatants (women & children) in your game?
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 19 Jan 2024, 10:30

Toyed with the idea, and made a very small scene with some boers and French lancers from Hat. But that is as far I've got. And just as well, I think. I have the Imex-Texans and a lot of different French Nappies, but I think I settle for small scenes from history, the real thing was quite big. Great to see it coming along. Will follow this.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PaulRPetri on 20 Jan 2024, 17:33

Hello Donald. Well like most things dealing with the Alamo there are many legends and few known facts. As far as I can tell the only flag known to be at the Alamo was the flag of the New Orleans Grey's. I think it was light blue with white lettering. Santa Anna sent this back to Mexico City and that is where it still lies to this day. There is a request for payment by Travis for a flag he had made prior to the Alamo but no info and what this flag may have looked like. And finally lots of people believe that the flag of Mexico with the year 1824 stitched on it may have been flown. This year refers to the Mexican constitution that the Texians used as an excuse to rebel but by the time of the Alamo all the defenders it would seem where fighting for independence. So flying that flag makes no sense. As it stands today no flag of Texas will e in Paulie's Alamo set up. But that can change of course.

Posted by Rich W on 25 Jan 2024, 00:37

Great work Paul! Loving the terrain updates.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by PaulRPetri on 25 Jan 2024, 15:25

Thanks Rich!

Next page

Return to Work in Progress