Work in Progress

old west saloon1/72

Posted by blacksmith on 30 Sep 2023, 09:58

I'm truly impressed by your tiny dioramas, they look paintings. Awesome.
blacksmith  Spain

Posted by Peter on 30 Sep 2023, 12:23

Catching up with this post and I see a lot of wonderfull additions! You let me want to play with my cowboys and indians again like I was a young boy! :love:

Keep them coming! I love them all! :yeah:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dms on 01 Oct 2023, 06:00

Thank you Peter and Blacksmith.Image
dms  Europe

Posted by MABO on 01 Oct 2023, 07:28

You are extremely productive! Beautiful Indians again!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 01 Oct 2023, 17:11

The Indians of the High Plains! Wonderfull! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dms on 04 Oct 2023, 06:53

Thank You Jan ,thank You PeterImageImage
dms  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Oct 2023, 09:35

Incredibly extremely productive! And great stuff too! Lovely natives!!! Would fit in any Wild West-movie! Will be great to see these painted.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by dms on 05 Oct 2023, 08:18

Thanks Susofrick
More Apache warriors:
ImageImage
dms  Europe

Posted by k.b. on 05 Oct 2023, 20:35

This scene is most probably going to be one of the most brilliant dioramas I have ever seen - excuse the pun. Any idea how many more chasing Apaches you will be producing? Up to now you have been able to use Remington’s painting as a reference. For further chasing Apaches I am looking forward to seeing your sculpts - will they be made conventionally using a wire skeleton and modelling clay?
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Michael Robert on 06 Oct 2023, 15:01

Hello dms,
really appreciate your creations. Still, I wonder how you create these great sculpts. By scanning and modifying existing figures in bigger scale?
Love your topics and creations.
I have one proposal I wish to be constructive. The finished dioramas are somewhat too clean. This is particularly true for the fleeing cowboys. It is a very dramatic and dynamic painting, and the painting itself underlines this with strong colour contrast, black lines. The movement and stress of the characters becomes visible. In your diorama everything is perfect - the horses figures, the riders. Just the very clean painting and the rather clean dio ground kind of calm down the whole scene. It is a pity to me. Obviously, these remarks reflect my personal taste.
Thank you for your great thread
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by dms on 08 Oct 2023, 08:29

ImageImageImage
dms  Europe

Posted by dms on 08 Oct 2023, 08:48

k.b. wrote:This scene is most probably going to be one of the most brilliant dioramas I have ever seen - excuse the pun. Any idea how many more chasing Apaches you will be producing? Up to now you have been able to use Remington’s painting as a reference. For further chasing Apaches I am looking forward to seeing your sculpts - will they be made conventionally using a wire skeleton and modelling clay?
Hi,sorry but I didn't understand Your pun.
I don't have idea how much apaches I will make.
Now I don't using that way to make the sculpts.Once I used to do but when I had a better eyesight
dms  Europe

Posted by dms on 08 Oct 2023, 09:19

Michael Robert wrote:Hello dms,
really appreciate your creations. Still, I wonder how you create these great sculpts. By scanning and modifying existing figures in bigger scale?
Love your topics and creations.
I have one proposal I wish to be constructive. The finished dioramas are somewhat too clean. This is particularly true for the fleeing cowboys. It is a very dramatic and dynamic painting, and the painting itself underlines this with strong colour contrast, black lines. The movement and stress of the characters becomes visible. In your diorama everything is perfect - the horses figures, the riders. Just the very clean painting and the rather clean dio ground kind of calm down the whole scene. It is a pity to me. Obviously, these remarks reflect my personal taste.
Thank you for your great thread
Michael

Hi Michael,I don't have a scanner so all these figures are completly my own works.Starting with a regular cube in Blender:ImageImageImage.
I thank you for wanting to point out what I'm doing wrong.I publish my works here(work in progress) because none of them are finished completely and probably never will.Unfortunately I don't have enough time and have too many ideas to realize so I don't pay attention to many things.Each one of us works in his own way, as he imagines and sees it.Maybe in half a year I won't like what I did now.I will be grateful to you if you could show me somehow what I should do, because I probably lack some technique of painting and making dioramas.
thanks ,DMS
dms  Europe

Posted by Michael Robert on 08 Oct 2023, 18:08

Hello dms,

I thank you for your answer although I do not agree on all your writings.
We all post because we want to share our passion. When we publish we all have some stress - will people like what I publish or not? Perhaps I didn't write it clearly enough, so I write it here again. I absolutely love your thread. Now that I see some of the creating process even more. Actually, seeing that you sculpt your figures starting with a cube really leaves me in awe and utter admiration. I didn't know that one/you can do that at such a fluent and dynamic level of scultping.
Concerning giving my thoughts on your creations - to me that is the spirit of the "work in progress" section: sharing ideas, observations and viewpoints. Of course, this is personal and does not diminuish in any aspect your creations. You can be very proud of what you did. I haven't published a lot, so I am nobody to give instructions.
Hope my thoughts are clear and I always look forward to see your creations
Kindly
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by dms on 09 Oct 2023, 04:32

Dear Michael,thank you and don't worry, I completely understand your comment and it doesn't bother me.Criticism is necessary to be able to improve your work.It happened that even people who are not involved in this hobby point out some mistakes that I did not notice and helped me pay attention to some things.I would be glad if you could send me a link or a picture with some work that would give me an idea how to make my diorama less too clean.
Thank You again DMS
dms  Europe

Posted by dms on 11 Oct 2023, 13:38

dms  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 11 Oct 2023, 17:35

Woooow. Your work never fails to impress dms. I really find it hard to choose which of these Apaches i like the most. If i had to make a choice i'd go for the two figures on the extremes, both with rifles aloft, making war cries and whilst doing so, scaring the living daylights out of the cowboys they're after, who are beating a hasty retreat.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 12 Oct 2023, 12:41

I can't wait to see the full scene! Wonderfull painted indians (Apaches). :thumbup:

They remind me abit on the Atlantic Apaches I played with when I was young. But they are HO scale.

http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=578
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dykio on 12 Oct 2023, 20:46

wauw wauw and another wauw DMS. The figures themselves are already real beauties but you also did an incredible paintjob on them. Fantastic :drool: :drool: :yeah: :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by dms on 18 Oct 2023, 09:32

ImageImage
dms  Europe

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress