Work in Progress

Middle Earth scenery

Posted by steve_pickstock on 16 Jun 2021, 14:49

Good afternoon everybody and I hope you are all well. Thanks for your comments.

Bluefalchion wrote:Baking soda causes superglue to bind immediately?

You'd better believe it! :winky:
Immediately and ROCK solid. I have even seen it used for repairing plastic parts, like printer trays and the like. Once you have built up sufficient layers, you can cut it or file it, and it is hard as nails (though I personally would still belt and braces it by adding pins to studs and so on, even though you probably wouldn't need it but that's me).
And that allows me to link into this (kind of like a TV segue):-
While I have been working on this scenery and using the nice but venerable Caesar Adventurers on or about the models - I looked at Alliance's Southern Rangers, and re-looked at what Molder did with his. So I cut some of mine off the sprues and started to base them up ready for painting. And that gave me the chance to show how I use baking soda and superglue when I am doing bases.

1. I glued the figures to 20mm diam wooden discs, which I buy in packs from a UK high street shop called The Works. Don't know what they are intended for originally, but there are 20mm, 30mm and 50mm discs in the packs, all 2mm thick and ideal for what I need and at GBP2 a pack, good value. (I refuse to use valid currency for bases). The figures are glued using a clear glue - EvoStick, UHU or similar. A good dollop rather than a thin smear, that takes care of any irregularities underneath the base.

2. Once the figure is secure, I apply superglue to the base. The glue I use is from Poundland, another high street shop, you get three bottles in a pack with fine applicator tips. Use these and place the glue so it spreads around and across the base and the base of the figure. The point is to blend the figure bases with the base you are building up around it.

3. Dredge the figure through a tray of baking soda, and wallop! It's done. Literally as quickly as it took for you to read that, the two have reacted together and set hard.
Watch your fingers - that goes without saying - this stuff sticks like ... er ... like a really sticky thing. The reaction between the two materials generates heat, the more you are using, the more heat, but it only lasts a second or two. When basing figures it isn't really an issue.

4. Use an old paint brush to dust off any baking soda that hasn't reacted.
This is now ready for paint, though you could build up the base material even more if you wish.

I used this technique to make some un-finished stone blocks for an undead pyramid builder to hurl at his king's enemies. (All that business about ramps and winches? Everybody knows they levitated the stones into place. Which is why Bob the Pyramid builder is a useful guy to have on your side in a fight.)
I think it looks good. But boy did those get hot while I was making them!
And, yes - Bob does levitate himself about on his own personalised flying pavement. (Figure converted from the Alliance Mummies set, 72045.)

As I have said previously baking soda has a really fine grain, and it looks more in scale that most sand, though sand too has its uses.

Anyway on with the other stuff, I will come back to the Rangers another time.

The above was written last week, to save time. But I am just taking a moment to mention that an anime film based on the story of Helm Hammerhand, part of the history of Rohan, is in preparation. I hope that they get the Rohirrim right and don't go with the wimpy guys of the Peter Jackson fims.
However I have heard some things that make me less than hopeful for this, so we'll see, at least there should some more visual ideas to steal.

Okay with that out of the way - on with the builds.
One of the issues with using grass mat, (apart from all of the little green hairs) is getting the edges to glue down, especially if you have cut the card with a bevelled edge. One way of getting instant 'stick' and a good bond, is to use double-sided tape. Coupled with PVA based glue for the main part of the mat it works well.
However I decided to try something else.
I cut out an area where the paving stones would go, glued down the main area of the mat, using sticky glue, and then glued the polystyrene tiles in place as well..

I set them aside overnight, and came back with the one of those vacuum clothes bags - the ones you pack stuff away in and suck the air out of so that it shrinks the volume of the package down.
So my thinking was this - I have seen this idea used with people fabricating carbon-fibre parts. Once the parts have been assembled and epoxied together, they put them in a vacuum bag and let air pressure work on getting the liquid resin to permeate the structure.
Okay, so I thought why not use the vacuum to keep the edges down while they glued?
When I came back to the pieces the next morning, I used a brush to apply tacky glue to the edges of the terrain pieces, making sure to cover the card-board and the grass mat.
I used a piece of board, covered in baking parchment (so that any glue that oozed out wouldn't stick to the board), and placed it and the freshly glued pieces into the bag.keeping them flat.
I used a vacuum cleaner to suck all of the air out and :-
It seems to have worked. The edges are all tight to the board, but I walked away from them and left them over night.
For a first attempt it went well. It worked for most of the pieces, but some needed a second go.
These were re-done and went back into the bag with some more and they are setting up over night.

I also started tinkering with applying greenery to the gateway.
Some rubberised horsehair and Woodland Scenics Clump Foliage, and some old rather ropey grass tufts I had.

I eventually decided it needed more hanging vegetation off the tops of the pillars and walls.

Too much or not enough?
Let me know what you think.

Some of the rubberised horse hair with the wall section.

Last for this week I used some of the greenery on the Seat of Seeing
I think the Seat is done. I'm loathe to add more, except perhaps some dead leaves and the like, though I am always open to others opinions.

SO! That is another busy week, still more to come the paths need painting and 'greening' - I decided to use some clump foliage to line the sides of the paths and tufts between the paving stones. Then there are the rest of the ruined walls.

Thank you if you have looked in to read this and stay safe everyone.
Pickers.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Jun 2021, 18:48

Looks fantastic!
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 16 Jun 2021, 19:30

I must try out that trick with the super glue and the baking soda! The scenery looks fine with the vegetation on it! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by molder on 16 Jun 2021, 22:44

Excellent work! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I eventually decided it needed more hanging vegetation off the tops of the pillars and walls.
Too much or not enough?
Let me know what you think.

Enough, but i think you can add a little more for such an ancient place.
molder  Ukraine

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 Jun 2021, 02:13

Steve that seat of seeing is incredible!!

"Watch your fingers - that goes without saying - this stuff sticks like ... er ... like a really sticky thing. The reaction between the two materials generates heat, the more you are using, the more heat, but it only lasts a second or two. When basing figures it isn't really an issue."

Ahh let me say I have had super glue on my finger when some baking soda came into contact with it and I let out one long yell!! As our buddy Gollum would say "It burns usss!!" Be warned!
I do use the baking soda trick to attach shields and men to horses it really works..
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Flambeau on 17 Jun 2021, 09:27

Very nice work! Love it! Goes without saying the same applies to your muketeers project! Great model building! Can't wait to see the finished set! :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Flambeau  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by steve_pickstock on 23 Jun 2021, 09:36

Good morning everybody.

I'm putting this up early because Mrs Pickstock is dragging me out of the attic this afternoon - Wednesday. She is making put me trousers on and taking me to a social occasion!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Really not sure how I am going to cope with it. Anway it means I didn't have a lot of time 'upstairs' this week, but there are a few things to update.

So here is what I have gotten done so far.
The gateway is done! I added more greenery, including more hanging down the columns.
That has now been set aside.

The Seat is also complete that just needs the base finishing but that's a bit off.
There was one thing that happened - I made a matt wash for fixing down greens - flock and so on. Half and half - 50%/50% Matt Medium and water with some drops of washing up liquid. It's the same as the Dirty Wash mix, but that has chestnut and black ink added. Anyway sprayed it on the Seat and the Gateway and when I came back to it. it had dried glossy. I am assuming it was because it wasn't shaken up enough before I sprayed it. I was able to fix it using Vallejo Matt varnish but the motto is - Shake it like a Polaroid picture!

The paths - or ceremonial pavements - were finished off and I am quite happy with them (except that now I have looked at them again, I think I need more stuff growing in between the paving stones).
I used grass tufts, yellow flower tufts, green flower tufts - but kept these as a climbing vine, dark green Woodland Scenics clump foliage, and rubberised horse hair. These were glued down with either UHU Por or Bostik Clear (depending on what they are being attached to). Then the whole thing was sprayed with the Matt wash solution to fix it in place. (It dried matt this time).

The two statues of the old kings first

And how they look in a 'landscape'.
The other statue is a Games Workshop one, like the others but from an older Middle Earth set. Obviously it's meant for 28mm but fits in nicely,

The rest of the pathways

Next the original Middle Earth house test piece had some of the walls re-arranged, filled and filler added to the structure as decayed mortar, and it was glued to a card base for strength. then it was painted Yellow Ochre so that I can re-paint it in line with all of the other structures in the Amon Hen landscape.
This will get the rest of the treatment - wash, Pale Sand, and White, then it wll get 'greened' like the other stuff.

And that's it! There is something else but I don't have any pictures yet, will have for next week though.

Thanks for looking in and stay safe, Pickers.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Peter on 25 Jun 2021, 20:53

Great looking ruin Steve! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by steve_pickstock on 30 Jun 2021, 15:12

Good afternoon everyone. A bit of a sweaty humid one as well.

LuciaSanchez97 wrote:Omg !! I love LOTR !! This is so me!! <3 Thanks for sharing :) and I look fordward for more pics...!!

I hope I can live up to your expectations.

Peter wrote:Great looking ruin Steve! :thumbup:

Thank you, I'm really pleased with it.

In my last post I mentioned that there was a new item.
I decided to add a watch-tower to the fortifications, not neccessarily for the Amon Hen set, but for general use.

This is the roughly assembled walls with some data lines marked.
This was taken apart later for scribing, I added some more details such as the archways etc under the walkway. After the scribing and assembly I'll carve away the walls and add rubble. Lots of rubble.

In some places I deliberately left gaps under the masonary. I based this on the idea that the Gondorian builders used a rubble core wall - two stone walls with rubble packed in between them for the walk way and the base of the tower. Once the tower began to crumble, rain and snow washed this rubble out, leaving ledges with voids underneath in places.

Here it is at the next stage
    Stones and archway scribed,
    Crenellations cut
    Windows cut out
    A base layer of Mod Podge and tile grout laid in several places and used to fill gaps
    A coat of the ubiquitous yellow ochre slapped on
    Dirty wash applied lightly at this stage,

Next I carved away some of the walls, to heighten the ruined effects of hundreds of years of neglect. I added a ledge around the tower, at the height of where the upper floor would have been.
After that I started to add rubble, in the form of a mix of fine earth, grits, very fine pebbles/gravel, some decorative gravel (the type of thing people use in vivaria and round pot plants (apparently :shock: ) and some styrodur blocks cut to size and tumbled in a box with small stones to weather them and ding up the edges.

All of this was sprinkled over a matt medium wash - the same wash that I sprayed over the greenery on the gateway - sprayed over the broken ground. Once the rubble was in place I sprayed it again with another generous covering of matt wash.
That was left over night.

Becauseof chores that needed to be done, I couldn't get much done today, except to take that last set of pictures. The matt wash spray has worked really well. The fine grit is firmly stuck in place, but doesn't look like it. The same goes for the gravel and rubble,

So, I may get some more done on this before the weekend but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Hope you enjoyed this, stay safe all. Pickers.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 30 Jun 2021, 17:54

Wow that watch tower looks really good! I am really enjoying the step by step aspect of this tutorial. You are--almost--making me think I could do something similar with my own projects.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 30 Jun 2021, 22:13

Bluefalchion wrote:Wow that watch tower looks really good! I am really enjoying the step by step aspect of this tutorial. You are--almost--making me think I could do something similar with my own projects.

I'm looking forward to that Aaron! :-D

And I love that tower to! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PaulRPetri on 01 Jul 2021, 01:50

Some really excellent ideas Steve! Nice step by step.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 01 Jul 2021, 07:26

Very good scenery!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by steve_pickstock on 07 Jul 2021, 12:52

Bluefalchion wrote:Wow that watch tower looks really good! I am really enjoying the step by step aspect of this tutorial. You are--almost--making me think I could do something similar with my own projects.

May I add my encouragement to that of Peter's - why not have a go? The materials are cheap, it's as much about observation as anything. looking at buildings and applying that to the models.

Anyway - here we go - as in the Musketeers thread Mrs P is making me leave the attic again this week and we're going off for a couple of days. So I am preparing this while listening to the Grand Prix, saving it as a draft ready to publish it next Wednesday, which I can do from my tablet. Confused? You will be.

Started off this week, by mixing up some Mod Podge/Tile adhesive to the consistency of smooth peanut butter (other delicious spreads are available). I added some Ochre craft paint to this and used it to fill edges, and some of the spaces.

While this was drying, and I was sorting through some things Gandalf returned!
If you know anything about the Grey wizard, you'll be aware that he often goes off for long periods. And this is what happened. I went to use him for something but he had disappeared. Fears that he gotten into a dust-up with another balrog were allayed when he was found lurking in a different box, so now he's back.

The rest of the afternoon was about laying down layers of colour - the yellow ochre, the dirty wash, the pale bone, all about building up the effects.
This layering/dry-brushing isn't really an exact science, it's more of an "if it feels good, do it" thing, but I think it's working. Next will be greenery.

The original LotR building received a dose of dry-brushing as well.

Now, hopefully you will get to read this next Wedneday (or today, what ever) hope you stay safe, regards Pickers.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Susofrick on 07 Jul 2021, 13:37

Shows that you can never trust a wizard. Very nice scenery. A bit tempted, but I know I haven't the space required for something like this right now.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Peter on 07 Jul 2021, 15:21

Excellent work again Steve! Enjoy the trip! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 09 Jul 2021, 19:58

I'm really in awe of how you can move forward so fast on both of your projects (this one and Musketeers WIP one) , Steve. :drool:

All my admiration and support. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by MABO on 10 Jul 2021, 06:18

Santi Pérez wrote:I'm really in awe of how you can move forward so fast on both of your projects (this one and Musketeers WIP one) , Steve. :drool:

Santi.

:yeah:
MABO  Europe

Posted by molder on 13 Jul 2021, 11:29

This beautiful fantasy project is growing step by step! :yeah:

I really like that the creation and processing of important elements is described in detail, this can be tested and used by other colleagues and me.
molder  Ukraine

Posted by steve_pickstock on 14 Jul 2021, 14:24

Santi Pérez wrote:I'm really in awe of how you can move forward so fast on both of your projects (this one and Musketeers WIP one) , Steve. :drool:

Santi.

It does help that I am semi-retired and can spend a couple of hours during a day - when Mrs P does not require me to put real cklothes on and go out of the house - in the attic on these.

molder wrote:I really like that the creation and processing of important elements is described in detail, this can be tested and used by other colleagues and me.

I am glad that people are finding useful things in these updates.

So! Good afternoon.
Sorry that there isn't a lot to see in this update. Aside from not having a lot of time in the attic this week, I have been having some issues with my back this week so sitting hunched over the work table isn't easy.

Having said that, I started to cut out the remaining sections of wall. So yesterday's session was cutting and glueing styrene to make the walk way and the crenellations. Today I cut some bases for the wall and shaped them, marked them up, and applied the grass mat.

This is stuff that all takes time, and you've seen it all before so there's not much to show.

The bases - grass matted and marked up.

The wall elements

Thank you to everybody who has viewed this and the Musketeers threads.
steve_pickstock  England

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress