Work in Progress

Creating a 1/72 Napoleonic wargaming army

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 13 Jul 2023, 15:52

That is a very impressive army of beautiful painted Prußians!
Thanks for sharing
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by Zed1 on 10 Sep 2023, 20:12

Okay... here's at least *some* progress. I must say that I had very little time for painting since FIGZ. There's pretty much work and private stuff to do, so finding the time to relax is quite rare. But at least I had the chance to start with the basics for my next two armies - Russians and Polish.

The first one was a paint conversion to get a Polish general without having to buy a complete new set. Francesco (FranzNap) has a very good Polish general staff set for sale, of course. But I decided to keep the money for the time being - when his release with Polish infantry comes to the market, things will get expensive enough. ;-)

I have also finished the first squad of Russian Guard Cossacks - really beautiful figures in colourful uniforms. Many thanks go out to @oldwolf from whom I got this set at FIGZ as a real bargain.

The next squad (the command group) is almost ready - the trumpeter and NCO are completed, the officer (in my opinion the worst figure in this set) and his horse have yet to be finished. In my eyes, it's a good set, although I read several reviews that complained about unclear details.

Nevertheless, Zvezdas russian cuirassiers are much crispier in detailing. As no Russian army should go without them, I also started to paint the first row of cuirassiers in the colours of the 'Little Russia' regiment.

To be honest, I decided to go with that regiment because I like the colours - yellow and green are not so common in my figure setups and this one stands out from all that red and blue of my other Russian riders. Especially because the hussars I'm working on are also in red and blue uniforms.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Sep 2023, 21:05

Super clean painting Zed. I'm also working on guard cossacks atm and have found them rather challenging not least in finding solid sources. Most don't show white crossbelts but if you do them in reds they don't show up. I'm also going more yellow than gold for the cords but I suppose everyone has their own vision of what looks right. I appreciate the amount of time and care you give each figure making yours among the finest I've ever seen. You may want to revisit your Polish general's hat as it could use a few more touches.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Zed1 on 10 Sep 2023, 22:07

Well - the sources I found show one belt in white, the other in reddish brown. Which is indeed a bit odd in combination with the red jacket. It's sometimes hard to tell whether cords and laces were in 'real' gold or golden yellow. Sources often don't tell exactly about the materials that were used so it's sometimes pretty much about guessing.

Concerning the hat.... well, maybe you're right.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Peter on 30 Sep 2023, 18:15

Again some real nice painted figures Sascha! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous page

Return to Work in Progress