Work in Progress

Swiss Guard, Pope and Cardinals

Posted by Santi Pérez on 29 Sep 2023, 19:58

Susofrick wrote:Another of my favourite projects (there are quite a lot here)! Really looking forward to see the pope painted.

Thank you, Susofrick. I'm glad you like it...but am afraid you're still going to have to wait a little while to see your wish come true, as the Pope is the last figure I'm going to paint. For the moment, I have started the last halberdier of the Swiss Guard. :mrgreen:

Michael Robert wrote:There he is, Francesco...
Great to see the figure, Santi. To paint him you need a sacred touch. :-)

That's the main reason for leaving the Pope until the end, Michael, to receive the proper inspiration to finish him as well as he deserves. :lol:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 30 Sep 2023, 05:23

I like your approach to this project in saving certain things for last. The most critical parts should always have the priority of time
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 01 Oct 2023, 19:56

Good to see a real "Santi" (= Saint) again! ;-)

Keep them coming my friend! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kekso on 03 Oct 2023, 17:17

I'm still amazed with your clean painting style.... and yes, I will repeat that few more times.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Wiking on 04 Oct 2023, 05:35

The opposite of my work.
Calm person, clear lines of paint, no action.

:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Santi Pérez on 06 Oct 2023, 16:49

Kekso wrote:I'm still amazed with your clean painting style.... and yes, I will repeat that few more times.

Wiking wrote:The opposite of my work.
Calm person, clear lines of paint, no action. :yeah:

Thanks so much, Kekso and Wiking, you know, the author's identifying mark. :tongue:

Peter wrote:Good to see a real "Santi" (= Saint) again! ;-)
Keep them coming my friend! :thumbup:

That's a very good pun, Peter. Yes, they will keep coming, but at low speed. :mrgreen:

Bessiere wrote:I like your approach to this project in saving certain things for last. The most critical parts should always have the priority of time
Cheers,
Bessiere

To be honest, Bessiere, the figures I find the most difficult to paint are the halberdiers of the Swiss Guard, with their complex uniform of coloured stripes. If the priority was to leave the most complicated figures for last, you can be sure that these would have been the last ones, hahaha.

And here you have the complete representation of the College of Cardinals that will appear in the diorama. First a couple of pictures with the figures in a row, in front and rear view, and then two more in the procession form in which they will finally appear.

With the help of the following picture I can illustrate the current state of the diorama.

The six figures framed in red are the cardinals shown in this post. The figure in green is the Pope's assistant monsignor, already finished and shown in a previous post. And the figures framed in blue are the three members of the Swiss Guard also finished and shown (from left to right, sergeant, corporal and halberdier). The figure in yellow is the last halberdier that I have already started, and the three remaining figures are, from left to right also, the Swiss Guard officer, the Pope and the cross-bearer, which will come in succession. :shock:

Thank you for your patience and support, my friends. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Iceman1964 on 06 Oct 2023, 18:10

Santi, can't wait to see the swiss guards painted in your style, they will be a marvel :-D
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Konrad on 06 Oct 2023, 18:33

As I said before, I am very impressed with the cleanliness and precision of your painting.
I am also very excited about how it now continues.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by MABO on 06 Oct 2023, 19:15

Your paintjob looks so amazing, Santi.
MABO  Europe

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 08 Oct 2023, 08:35

Lovely paintjob as usual in your own characteristic style.
I 'm looking forward to those halberdiers and it's going to be a joy to see when everything is finished and comes together.
Thanks for sharing
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by Michael Robert on 08 Oct 2023, 18:20

Hello Santi,

it is wonderful to see the six cardinals. Now that they are together we can admire and see that each one is actually very personalized.
The texture of the dresses is very impressive. Reminds when I met a woman who was painting orthodox icons. To achieve a similar grainary texture and depth she applied dozens and dozens of layers of pretty much the same colour in a somewhat diluted form with egg yolk as a binder. I guess you don't do the egg yolk bit :-) - better eat them in form of yemas.
Like all others I continue to wait :coffee:

Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 09 Oct 2023, 23:05

Beautiful work on the College of Cardinals Santi, the colours are so bright and lovely!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Oct 2023, 03:45

Your Cardinals are perfect! I don't know how you do everything so precisely. Youre amazing sir! I recognize those padres from the California Mission Indians that I just chopped up for extra amputated limbs (the indians not the Padres)
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Oct 2023, 11:23

Yes yes yes! Love your typical style! Very precise and neat!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by C M Dodson on 11 Oct 2023, 07:09

Very nice indeed.

Those mission chaps are lovely sculpts.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 12 Oct 2023, 12:37

This is such a nice project that it is almost impossible to wait untill it is finished. :-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dykio on 12 Oct 2023, 20:39

Hi Santi,

you have a realy unique and perfect way of painting figures. Absolutely brilliant :yeah: :yeah:
And just like the other members im also very much looking forward to the final result :yeah: :yeah:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Santi Pérez on 18 Oct 2023, 17:12

Thank you very much for your kind words, Enrico, Konrad, Jan, Patrick, Michael, Owen, Bessiere, Susofrick, Chris and dykio. They really encourage me a lot to go ahead with the project and bring it to completion. :-D

Michael Robert wrote:Hello Santi,
it is wonderful to see the six cardinals. Now that they are together we can admire and see that each one is actually very personalized.
The texture of the dresses is very impressive. Reminds when I met a woman who was painting orthodox icons. To achieve a similar grainary texture and depth she applied dozens and dozens of layers of pretty much the same colour in a somewhat diluted form with egg yolk as a binder. I guess you don't do the egg yolk bit :-) - better eat them in form of yemas.
Like all others I continue to wait :coffee:
Greetings
Michael

Thanks, Michael. In my dioramas I always try to give each individual his own personality within the whole, even in this small scale, something difficult to achieve in figures in uniform or in the same pose, as in the case of the Swiss Guard halberdiers. :neutral:

Although my paint is not diluted in egg yolk like that of the icon painter you mention (exceptional works of art, by the way, such as a couple of them I acquired on an old visit to Athens), I do apply many layers of it in order to achieve such neat boundaries between some areas of the figure and others of different colours. ;-)

Bessiere and Chris, here is a picture of all the religious figures from the Pegasus set, once converted, together with others of the original ones. I challenge you to identify each one of them:

Best regards, my friends. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 18 Oct 2023, 17:22

Masterful work on converting those padres Santi. it's very hard to match any of them up your work was so thorough. The results are beyond stunning, very impressive!
Cheers,
Bessiere

Posted by Peter on 18 Oct 2023, 18:17

Santi Pérez wrote:Thank you very much for your kind words, Enrico, Konrad, Jan, Patrick, Michael, Owen, Bessiere, Susofrick, Chris and dykio. They really encourage me a lot to go ahead with the project and bring it to completion. :-D

You missed one! ;-) :mrgreen:

Looks like the pope is ready to be painted! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous pageNext page

Return to Work in Progress