General

Interesting tour of miniature producing factory

Posted by Xantippos on 02 Nov 2022, 13:59

For once, YouTube's algorithm proposed me something interesting, a tour by Zvezda's factory in 2018.

Quite mindblowing to see how automatized, informatic and modern the process is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqE9GmL ... hannel=T2M

Although somewhat sad, that apparently, no sculpting of any sort goes on a physical level, only informatic 3d one.

Mostly model kits, but the same would apply for figures/miniatures, specially the art of tactic.

I think that on soldiers, Zvezda started sculpting all 3d with the Spartans. Call me nostalgic or outdated (I believe than in a forum about historic miniatures we might all be!) but for me, something is missing from this very perfect 3d sculpted miniatures.

Anyway, it seems the production volume of Zvezda, at least at this moment, was huge!
Xantippos  

Posted by steve_pickstock on 02 Nov 2022, 17:01

As Games Workshop - and a lot of the companies selling .stl figure files - have proved sculpting in a computer does not mean dull and lifeless figures (even though some of the .stl figures are too 'over the top' for me). However Zvezda switch over to solely doing figures was a big turn off for me.

Their figures aren't bad, some of the AoT sets have got some beautiful - if a little boring - models in them, but since Strelets debuted their WSS range, hand-sculpted figures, and especially officers and personality figures, have just made a whole step forwards.
steve_pickstock  England

Posted by Bessiere on 02 Nov 2022, 17:09

Computer modeling can only widen the variety of figures and sets which is great but as you say there is always something with character in hand sculpted models. Any work of our hands leaves a mark which we can see and sense even if it's lost on others. As more and more is done on computers the work of our hands is the best way to hang on to our humanity. Yet another reason I feel our hobby is far more than a trivial pursuit but more about preserving the essence of who we are
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by pedro on 03 Nov 2022, 08:15

I absolutely agree with you. The difference between computer sculpted models and hand sculpted models is that the former lack essence, soul, and spirit. That can only be given by its creator. And me, in my case, when I painting them, I detect this lack of essence. And I'm not talking about the quality of the STL figures, absolutely perfect...so perfect they have no soul. Maybe I'm very philosophical and I don't know if all of you understand what I mean.
pedro  Spain

Posted by MikeRC97 on 03 Nov 2022, 12:48

My opinion is that computer design works much better for inorganic subjects - I much more prefer the 3D sculpted 1/100 scale tanks that battlefront makes now to their older hand sculpted tanks. The same is true for artillery pieces.

On the other hand I find Zvezda’s 3D sculpted horses to be a step down from their older hand sculpted horses. I have both 3D and hand sculpted Zvezda horses from their Samurai and Napoleonic sets and the hand sculpted horses look way better.

All of the Zvezda WWII sets (big box and AOT) are computer designed and they all look great but the Napoleonic figures look flat and lifeless so maybe the problem lies with the sculptor or the sketches he or she worked off of.
MikeRC97  

Posted by Bessiere on 03 Nov 2022, 15:49

We're of the same mind on this Pedro. Soul, spirit, whatever you want to call it. It resides in those things crafted by hand. In essence it is a reflection of us, perfect in our imperfection.
Bessiere  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 04 Nov 2022, 10:07

Thanks for spotting this interesting clip/promotional video of the production process at Zvezda. A very fine company in currently difficult times.

Yes, it is fascinating to see the levels of technology at play in this process. This must surely be 'state of the art' in plastic injection moulding for model kits.

For all the benefits of computer-generated 3D, I am with others in supporting hand crafted and created figures of men and animals. Tanks. aircraft etc are fine when created on a computer but living, breathing things must surely be created by the hand of a (very talented) living and breathing person.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Xantippos on 06 Nov 2022, 08:20

I would say my first 3d engineered model kit must have been the very perfect Hobbyboss aircraft. Refreshing, of so much perfection, concretely a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. Somehow, gives a sense of modernity, like a museum replica.

Then many more, such as I suspect, basically all Trumpeter's range. And then modern Airfix models too. Maybe ideal for modern jets, they somehow look very right.

But on sort of World War 2 and previous, it looks too perfect.

And certainly, all figurines look like reenactors, lifeless. I bought the Spartans, as they looked so different, and the artwork of the box was great. But inside, after opening, I was rather disappointed. Still shocked about them. 100 % perfection everywhere, but even in this case, hands seem small. Maybe 100 % correct, but when reduced to 1/72, makes things look puny, even if they are correct. Later Art of Tactic got better, and for artillery crew and the like is quite ok, but the other troops seem statues.

This by the way, also applies to most modern toy action figures. like Marvel or DC. They are now very perfect, but somewhat lacking in life.
Xantippos  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 07 Nov 2022, 20:56

Thanks for sharing it, Xantippos. It's a very interesting video. :thumbup:

Bessiere wrote:Computer modeling can only widen the variety of figures and sets which is great but as you say there is always something with character in hand sculpted models. Any work of our hands leaves a mark which we can see and sense even if it's lost on others. As more and more is done on computers the work of our hands is the best way to hang on to our humanity...

pedro wrote:...The difference between computer sculpted models and hand sculpted models is that the former lack essence, soul, and spirit. That can only be given by its creator...

I cannot agree more with you, colleagues. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to General