Modelling

Hat WW1 Italian Infantry: problem with acrylic paint?

Posted by DanieleV on 20 Jan 2024, 14:04

I recently purchased a box of Hat 8223 WWI Italian Infantry but they are impossible to paint.
The acrylics I use for all other miniatures (Vallejo, AK), simply does not stick.
I washed the miniatures two times in warm water and soap, the second time I brushed each miniature with a toothbrush.
But nothing. The paint does not stick over the plastic.
I never had this problem with any other miniatures from Hat or other manufacturers.
Even the PVA glue I used to place them on the painting wood sticks I use, does not stick under the bases!
I wonder if the problem is the plastic itself (maybe is it a recycled material?).
Did anybody had this problem, with these miniatures from Hat?
(btw I asked to the email in their website, but no answer...)
DanieleV  Italy

Posted by Wiking on 20 Jan 2024, 14:20

Solution:

Saddle up to WWII.

:joker:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Jan 2024, 09:28

I have been bemoaning the, especially HAT choice of plastic for years .

There was a post that finally explained why some Hat plastics would not let enamel paints harden due to the chemical elements involved.

Not sure about acrylics .

I wrote to Hat as well to no avail.

I have to keep repainting bayonets etc every time I set up the next moves at Antietam….infuriating.

I have tried detergent and now a soak overnight in vinegar, followed by a detergent wash .

I have tried PVA washes, useless, but a product that I have not tried is Rust Olrum recommended on TMP.

Stretlets give me the same issue, it’s infuriating .

However, not as bad as watching your hard work disintegrate ala the Hat 1812 infantry.

If you find an effective soloution I would be very grateful as I am battling flash on the Hat Austrians.

My rant is complete!

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by DanieleV on 21 Jan 2024, 22:21

Thank you for your answer. I was so upset that at the end, I threw the poor WW1 Italians in the trash bin. I had no problems with other Hat products before (I painted the WW1 Russian and Ottomans, the Sumerians, the Thracians, and they are still well). No problems with Strelets, as well. If it's the chemical composition of the plastic itself, I suppose that washes and PVA dip can not do too much. I just wondered if others had the some problem with that particular product. It would be nice if Hat answered to my e-mail, anyway...
DanieleV  Italy

Posted by despertaferro on 22 Jan 2024, 13:02

I've hated Hat's rubberish plastic for years.
The harder one is not better because it becomes extremely brittle too soon.
I still use enamels, so I've been trying to give a first coat of acrylic before painting. Useless...

But if you wait years before painting your figures, the problem solves itself. I think some component of the plastic evaporates and the figures support the paint much better.
Ad least this is my experience.

Regards
Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by blacksmith on 22 Jan 2024, 17:19

Do you prime your figures before painting them? I read in the Reaper forum that you need to prime their soft plastic figures with a brush, not with spray, and I always do it and never had a problem with any miniature, not even with Hät. I'm using Vallejo primer with a brush.
blacksmith  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by DanieleV on 22 Jan 2024, 23:13

Yes I prime with AK acrylic and a brush, but it did not stick to the plastic, just kept flowing away. I never had this problem before.
DanieleV  Italy

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Jan 2024, 22:31

Hi,

The Vallejo primer just flaked off when it dried on my unfortunates.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Xantippos on 08 Feb 2024, 11:04

I don't have those soldiers (curiously!) but I would give you a few tips; first try to dry them with kitchen paper, then wash them with dishwashing liquid, let them dry at full sun. Sometimes if you use hard hand soap it makes them rough to paint.

A extreme solution would be to lightly sand them with superfine grit sandpaper.

Then, choose a thick acrylic paint, like Citadel, or Formula P3. Certain colours cover very well. You might need two coats but that's it.

Another extreme solution would be to try and find some kind of spray primer, some are incredibly good, but be careful as some might react and become sticky. The warhammer is supposed to be very good.

Are these soldiers hard, or elastic, or soft and rubbery? do you have some other soldier that have a similar plastic?
Xantippos  

Return to Modelling