Modelling

Sticky stuff, Hat plastic&Vallejo paint

Posted by dykio on 14 Dec 2021, 12:00

Hi Guys,

I bought the sassanids from Hat and after cleaning them up i decided to spray paint them with a grey primer from vallejo.

and this is what happened ...

the base coat grey primer i used

the primer is after a month still so sticky that the figure stays "glued" to my finger. But at least if you pull the figure of your finger the primer stays on the figure.

the grey paint somehow reacted with the soft plastic from the hat figures and even after a month the grey base coat is stil very sticky....

It does however takes the normal vallejo paint and so far it stays on. so i will paint a couple of them and let you no the end result. But be aware that hat plastic and vallejo primer are not reacting as you might hope :mad:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Wiking on 14 Dec 2021, 13:30

That are sad news from you.
The pic explain it all.

I am very sorry but it is quite funny :xd: the stiking horse to your finger.
Sorry again. :oops:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Kekso on 14 Dec 2021, 14:04

I'm sorry it happened to you but thanks for sharing this useful experience.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by sberry on 14 Dec 2021, 15:19

I suppose it is a plasticizer (softener) in the HäT figures that causes the problem. And since the plasticizer diffuses from the interior of the figure to the surface, there is probably no chance that some process of drying might some fine day end this calamity.
However, I believe that this is a problem that probably occurs only with (organic) solvent-based primers (or paint); with water-based products you should be on the safe side.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Peter on 14 Dec 2021, 16:14

Kekso wrote:I'm sorry it happened to you but thanks for sharing this useful experience.

Me too! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dykio on 14 Dec 2021, 16:30

sberry wrote:I suppose it is a plasticizer (softener) in the HäT figures that causes the problem. And since the plasticizer diffuses from the interior of the figure to the surface, there is probably no chance that some process of drying might some fine day end this calamity.
However, I believe that this is a problem that probably occurs only with (organic) solvent-based primers (or paint); with water-based products you should be on the safe side.

I think you are completely right. As it realy only occurs with the hat "soft"plastics.....

the hat sassadin cavalry are (sticky) softies :-D , the infantry is harder plastic and has no problem at all..

laterrrrrrrrrrrrrr
dykio  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sberry on 14 Dec 2021, 17:18

dykio wrote:I think you are completely right. As it realy only occurs with the hat "soft"plastics.....
the hat sassadin cavalry are (sticky) softies :-D , the infantry is harder plastic and has no problem at all..

That absolutely makes sense to me. And I was NEVER a fan of that soft stuff anyway, mainly because it is so bad at reproducing fine detail.
sberry  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Dec 2021, 23:00

There was a thread some time ago about this subject.

The soft plastic reacts with the paint and the resulting chemical mix does not allow the paint to dry normally.

On top of this, my Hat French and Chasseur infantry then, when dry became brittle and disintegrated.

I wrote to Hat but never did get a reply .

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Return to Modelling