Questions

Recommendations for Roman uniforms for 9AD

Posted by Rich W on 31 Jan 2021, 18:42

As the title suggests, I'm after some recommendations for any Roman sets that would fit in with AD9-the time of Varus' misguided 'detour' through the Teutoburg Forest. I've got the Linear A set, which is really lovely, but am wondering which other sets would match in with this. Looking on PSR, normally they link similar sets at the bottom of the review, but for this latest set, there are none linked. I was thinking the Strelets and Hat Auxilary infantry sets would work as that uniform does not appear to have varied much over a long period. But if any experts can suggest any of the other sets that would tie in I would be very grateful. I have had very little interest in collecting any ancients up until the release of this set and getting the Osprey Teutoburg Forest Campaign book, but that has got me interested in collecting yet another period.

Many thanks in advance!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 27 Mar 2021, 14:55

I don't think PSR is updating the figure comparison photos too much. It was an idea he liked previously, but I think the reviews of the many many many new sets being released, and news items, are taking up all the time and energy.

Your Romans project has been going well, from the pictures I have seen. The older Strelets Romans might blend well with their slightly chunky style.

I think part of the fun is sorting through all of the available sets and seeing which one seems to fit best for what you want to accomplish. And, when it comes to the ancient world, naturally there is a lot more leeway because every last detail of the costumes and equipment of the time can never be known for certain.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Return to Questions