Questions

Caesar's Legionnaires

Posted by OPV on 12 Aug 2013, 11:18

Hi. This is the first time I write here and thank You for the excellent site.I am trying to changed a few Caesar Roman legionary set 1 and 2 soldiers, a soldier of Caesar (Gaius Julius) legionaries and I have try to sculpt a few myself, now I'm starting to doubt my "authenticity", because I could not find good pictures/information of that time legionnaires equipments ,(sword what type,dagger if it was at all, belts, scutum).What was the model of helmet, did they have a horse's tail helmet,if so did they use a tail also a battlefield . Did they have pants , so if you could recommend a book or if you have, attach a few photos/pictures where these things should be well presented, I would be more than grateful.
Thank You
OPV  

Posted by Paul on 12 Aug 2013, 14:23

If you mean the legionaries from Gaius Julius caesers time, they looked like this;

or do you mean like These?
For more info on Equipment, IE, the type of Gladius, type of Helmet, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_mili ... _equipment
Paul  China

Posted by OPV on 12 Aug 2013, 15:24

Thanks Paul.Yes,I mean the legionaries from Gaius Julius Caesers time and correct me if I'm wrong: Helmet:Montefortino helmet apparently the horse tail , Sword:Gladius hispaniensis on the right side and pugio on the left side and it seems that the belt does not go over the shoulder and the belt with no decorative plates , Shield:Fayum style scutum. So, every Gauls should be afraid of legionnaires who are equipped with these "tools" :-D right?

Ps. Sorry my English, I use google translator
OPV  

Posted by Paul on 12 Aug 2013, 17:50

Montefortino Helmet, El Fayum type elongated oval shield, Gladius Hispaniensis right side, Pugio left, no belt or Cingulum militare
Paul  China

Posted by OPV on 12 Aug 2013, 18:45

Thank you very much Paul. If and when I get ready for these figures,made molds and cast, I'll send you a few figure,if you want to.You see, I have a serious a diseases called "mold maniac" and "casting madness" ;-)
OPV  

Return to Questions