Questions

Homemade decals

Posted by Hotrod on 23 Jan 2013, 10:18

Good morning everybody. I've been using for a year or so, as I like to make models of materials I've had in my units. I bought some inkjet decal paper sheets, both clear and white, but the results are not what I expected. They tend to dilute a lot, the ink whashes out when I inmerse them on water to put them in the model, and they result to be too thick (In my opinion), showing some difference of height between the decal and the model surface.

First it was my mistake, because I used them straight from the printer, but after one year, and a lot of problems, I've developed a too complex method to use them. Anyway I only managed to minimize a bit those problems.

Now I use this method, but the ink still runs off when I apply them, so I'd like to know if somebody can help me to avoid this loss of ink, and the difference in height. Thanks a lot

1.- Print them. I choose the highest quality, and photographic paper on the presets of my printer, and let them dry for 24 hours

2.- When completely dry, I spray matt varnish from a can. First I didn't do this step, but as in the next step the ink run off when painting the liquid with a brush, I tried to protect it a bit more.

3.- Mark the number, shield or whatever contour with a sharp knife. I let a buffer of 2 - 3 milimeters so I can scratch in the last step.

4.- Paint over the decal with Microscale liquid decal fil and let it dry for another 24 hours. Maybe it's too much time, but I prefer to be safe.

5.- Gloss varnish the surface where I want to aplly the decal. Ususally I do it with Vallejo gloss varnish, bottle, not spray

6.- Coat the surface with Micro-sol

7.- After that the usual process. Inmerse the decal in water for 1 - 2 minutes and apply it with a brush. 20 - 30 minutes later give another thin coat with microsol again. If the level difference is too obvious, scartch the borders of the decal with a sharp knife carefully, and paint the transition zone with a pencil. Not too diluted paint, and just a small area.

8.- Varnish the whole model in gloss, and continue with process.

Thanks a lot
Hotrod  Spain

Posted by Bramble15 on 24 Jan 2013, 15:35

Wow that does seem like quite the process. I have in the past used and had real nice results using the Testors decal kit. You get 10 sheets of decal paper and a can of Testors Decal set. I print and let dry. Ususally I have simply let them dry out for a day or two. I try to never be in a hurry because I too have completely ruined entire sheets, when the ink was not yet dry. Once dry I spray the decal set on and let that dry. Then I scribe around the boarder of the decal and apply. I use Solvaset and have had no ill effects. Hope this helps.

Rich
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Hotrod on 24 Jan 2013, 19:22

Thanks a lot Bramble15, Ill try it. Now I have to find somewhere that sells it and ships to Spain
Hotrod  Spain

Return to Questions