Gallery

3rd Westphalian Regiment in Spain

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Jul 2017, 01:52

The newest addition to my French forces in Spain is infantry of the 3rd Westphalian Line Regiment. I had originally started painting these up as part of Morlot's Division at Tudela, and then read in Oman that the Westphalians were left behind on garrison duty in northern Spain. And I'm now suspicious that these may have been the light battalion that I believe preceded the others to the Peninsula, rather than line.
Ah well... Still fun to paint!
More pictures and information can be found here on my blog: http://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.ca/2017/07/westphalian-infantry.html

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Rosbif on 26 Jul 2017, 04:31

Excellent work, Bill! :yeah: It's a wargamer's prerogative to re-write history, IMHO. ;-)

One of my all-time favourite sets, too; good old HaT 8095! :-D
Rosbif  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 26 Jul 2017, 04:44

Seeing those old Hat figures on TV,was what brought me back into the hobby many years ago.
Yours look Super Cool.
Alas most of the muskets on hundreds of my Hat figures broke off due to the rubber used in China. It rotted into brittleness. I am thinking of buying a laser printer around the £400 price mark, and one resounding job will be to copy in tough plastic the last remaining ones that are still in whole condition. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 26 Jul 2017, 06:44

Fantastic work again. The pictures are a bit dark, I suspect due to the brown cloth background which has absorbed the light.

Nevertheless you have brought these figures to life.

Incidentally I have had the same rot problem with whole figures breaking up not just muskets.

Handle your fellows with care.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Jul 2017, 12:32

Aaargh! I had some of my very old Airfix figures become brittle and break but wasn't aware the rubbery HaT had the same propensity.
Ah well, maybe not in my lifetime and it will make it easier for my partner to take it all to the dump...
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Siegfried on 26 Jul 2017, 15:53

Excellent work, really like the somewhat subdued colours!
Siegfried  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 26 Jul 2017, 16:09

Beano Boy wrote:
Alas most of the muskets on hundreds of my Hat figures broke off due to the rubber used in China. It rotted into brittleness.

CM Dodson wrote:
Incidentally I have had the same rot problem with whole figures breaking up not just muskets.

Bill Slavin wrote:
I had some of my very old Airfix figures become brittle and break but wasn't aware the rubbery HaT had the same propensity.

:shock: :(
Bobby McFerrin ?
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Jul 2017, 16:33

Priming and painting those rubber HäT guys is actually supposed to give them a protective coating and help them last longer, so get to it boys!

I really like your Westphalians, Bill. Especially the hats and chinstraps and faces.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 26 Jul 2017, 22:03

Bluefalchion wrote:Priming and painting those rubber HäT guys is actually supposed to give them a protective coating and help them last longer, so get to it boys!

Not entirely. I´ve had Problems with painted rubber HäT bods snapping off at the ankles..the set is only8 years old
Paul  China

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Jul 2017, 05:36

I used enamel paints on my Hat figures,as I am a traditional toy soldier painter,but i must add here not a very good one. A few months on after painting ,parts started falling to pieces.

Out of a regiment of 680 French Napoleonic Infantry shown above,plus Officers painted in the year 2005,I am down to less than a hundred marching men now. Everytime I handle them muskets break off easily____________ so into landfill they go. I treat them now as if they were made of fine china.
:sst: " well they were made in china bb." ______Very true little button.
:mrgreen:"Time marches on, but not BB`s Hat soldiers."_________ Very true. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Roland_Kupski on 27 Jul 2017, 06:08

Didn't the westphalian wore the later so called Bardin-type of uniform up to the beginning? The HATs are wearing the old frock-coat style. Or was there any modification in Spain?
Roland_Kupski  Germany

Posted by Bill Slavin on 27 Jul 2017, 14:02

Hi Roland,
You may well be right. If you check my blog (link top) I posted some reference that had the 3rd (and only the third) in the frock coat which is why I went with this regiment. I've seen other reference with the 3rd in the Bardin style, including the second image I posted, but because this specifically had the third in this I thought I may be on safe ground!
Thanks for not telling me more horror stories about HaT rubber.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Bill Slavin on 27 Jul 2017, 14:07

Beano Boy,
Maybe it's a reaction to the enamels? (He asks hopefully...)
I've taken to test spraying my primers these days as, after hard experience, I learned that my go-to plastic primer NEVER dried on Caesar miniatures and imperfectly on some of the Zvezda. It seems every plastic has it's idiosyncrasies.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Bluefalchion on 27 Jul 2017, 16:11

Bill--

I had that problem with Caesar guys at first, too. I talked to a master modeler and he said it's the oily stuff they coat the steel molds with. His solution? (Get it?) Mix hot water, dish soap, and a bit of bleach and soak the soldiers for a week or two. After that, primer and paint will stick to them far better.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Return to Gallery