General

What is 1 : 50 scale?

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2014, 03:52

I am a bit confused with the way scale of model`s are worked out,and displayed on the Boxes. So what I need to know is this. Please, what is the 1:50 scale? Is it the same as 28mm scale? Or to put it another way is the 1:50 scale comparable with 28mm model figures? Confused? I am. I Would greatly appreciate some help on this question guys ,before I go ahead and buy expensive model kits. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2014, 06:29

It`s OK! I know the answer now, because I found this picture on line.So 28mm figures are the ones to use.I think it is great when things fall into place. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ragnar on 23 Aug 2014, 09:56

28mm is 1/56 scale....all though some wargamers do use 1/50 scale tanks ect with there 28mm figures!
Nice pic by the way :)
Ragnar  Australia

Posted by zirrian on 23 Aug 2014, 11:43

Ragnar wrote:28mm is 1/56 scale....all though some wargamers do use 1/50 scale tanks ect with there 28mm figures!
Nice pic by the way :)

Roughly yeah. 28mm minis tend to be heroic scale, so tad bigger scale vehicles could be used with them - like how 28mm Warlord infantry and 1/48 Hobbyboss tanks go together. The Revell Viking ship goes with 28mm vikings really well. I have one boxed, it's only waiting for this lazy guy to get and paint a bunch of vikings.
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Beano Boy on 23 Aug 2014, 12:40

Ragnar,and zirrian, very nice of you two guys to comment.I appreciate the input.Those slightly larger scale Longboats are a must for my work table now,with a bad mix of mean Vikings and Saxons thrown in. I always wanted to paint some up but could never find the Longboats until now. I lucked in last night and bought two and with free postage,which was a nice saving leaving more cash for the 28mm figures. Is it possible Revell has released this Kit again? I reckon Asterix might indeed toss a coin to determine which is worst,the Pirates from the North or the Romans from the east. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ragnar on 24 Aug 2014, 04:03

Sounds like a great project Beano....did revel make the same ship in both 1/72 and 1/56 scale?
Ragnar  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 24 Aug 2014, 09:11

Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Aug 2014, 12:19

I realise many have the model kit above,but I always wished for the next size up.
So I bought two of the kit below.

1:50 scale

Thank`s Peter,you are of course correct. Those figures above in the boat are what make me believe they are larger scale then say 1:72. Being rather busy I have not identified these figures as yet ,however I am finding the 28mm scale is somewhat spoilt by the new set`s making the first set`s look like midget`s.This we can all fully understand by looking at the history of the 20mm & 1: 72 scale figures we all like to paint. I am concidering buying two army pack`s from warlord games,but first I must check out if they will look right placed with the early Foundry figures that I already have. I will have to wear rubber gloves because solvent glue I am allergic to. The reaction cause blister`s, and these are Massive Kit`s to do. ( "Perhaps the Daleks could spot weld them up for me?" ) When the Viking Long Boats arrive we will have to have a good look see if this project for later might be feasible, and hopefully this might well help others too ,who like myself are often in puzzlement concerning the scale printed on the boxes. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by David O'Brien on 24 Aug 2014, 22:42

I am not sure which real ship Revell have based this on. The Emhar ship is the famous Gokstad one and very accurate too. The Revell one looks like a smaller Viking ship eg Skuldelev types at Roskilde but sized up and modified but without a reference from Revell it could be anything and several scales from 1/50th to 1/60th. The spiral on the stern post is like the prow and stern of Oseberg ship but very crude and not really anything like the original.
The drawing on the sail is hopelessly inaccurate from every respect and looks like something from Dungeons and Dragons. Even Tony Curtis would have rejected that one.

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Aug 2014, 00:07

Yes I totally agree about the sail decal David,and I have no such plan to apply this water slid transfer. These boats will not be on the high sea or sailing up river. They will be laid up already after reaching their raiding destination. So the sail would have been taken down and tied up. So no need to paint any symbolic picture at all.

As for the correctness of shape and design features on the boat, as a layman these boats will serve my purpose well,( always I value good comments.) and before buying I had already had thoughts of converting certain features that have already been mentioned.One could after long hours of research on the subject,try to scratch build a Long Boat ,but as far as I am concerned I have much to do in these quick passing days,of my old age so these plastic kits will do. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by zirrian on 25 Aug 2014, 00:17

I guess the sails will be rolled up anyways, as you don't want to fight sea battles in that scale :)
zirrian  Hungary

Posted by Beano Boy on 25 Aug 2014, 00:58

Yes zirrian,I`ll make a sail.Mrs B will run it up on the sowing machine and I`ll roll it up. Why bother? Thank you that is a very good indirect question. Well later if I wish I`ll run up the sail,create the Sea by using the dried Porridge Oats method.
Yes,you might well laugh, but I`ve seen the fantastic end results on line, on E Models new Gallery set up a short while ago,and theres certainly some other good stuff on display there too and is well worth a visit. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 27 Aug 2014, 16:14

Do you remember the question,"What is 1:50 scale?" Well there is an unplanned twist to this topic. Two of the Revell 1:50 scale Longboats arrived today,so I made a quick mock up of the hull by slipping the two end pieces on without glue and put a metal clip on the bottom just to hold it together,plunked the mast in,and added a few 28mm figures. Please imagine the water.There are lots of photo`s but they help prove a point.

As you see I`m going to have to rethink how I will use 28mm figures with this boat and two others that I bought. Yes a nice figure three much better then two and much much better than one. There is now coming that twist,to that question.The person responsible for taking measurement`s in order to work out the scale of this Longboat, ( Called a Dragon Boat! by us Brit`s ) should go to Spec Savers! Or better still go ask a small child how to count in real Mathamatics,One,Two and Three upwards,because this 1:50 scale Viking Longboat is 1/72 scale. Good new`s. The deck is wrong,but for those modellers who have 1/72 scale Vikings,Saxons and Normans this boat is the perfect shape and size. These boats had a shallow draft of 5 foot so perfect to nip up the rivers especially in East Anglia and raid Norwich. There are 16 oarsmen on each side,and another three placed,and enough room for a couple more standing. I placed these as a sort of review,1/72 Strelets Romans just for this little piece of maths. I hope you Enjoy the pictures.

This is the metal clip holding it together.Now it is possible to see the draft of the boat.

True Fact`s about the Longboat

It is 15 inches long from point to point,and 3 and one quarter inch at its mid section. I`m so glad I collect both scales. So this is a 90 foot long boat,and just over 18 foot in the mid section,and back in the day easy to cram 40 men in the real ones. It would be interesting if someone who has the Emhar Vicking Longboat could let us know how long and how wide it is,so as to get a good comparison between the two. In the end it is not until we open the box up, that we find out what it is we`ve got. However a little review could help others from making a very costly mistake. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by David O'Brien on 27 Aug 2014, 21:37

The Osprey New Vanguard Viking Longship is a very good reference and quite up to date.

The Emhar longship is 320mm long about 12.5" in old money and about 70mm wide. The Revell kit looks far closer to 1/72nd scale than 1/50th.

This web page has a completed model with 1/72nd scale figures and they don't look too out of place.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/misc/sail/Viking-72-ko/

The thumbnails are on the left.

Of course most 28mm figures are over that in height as the measurement is to. the eyes. Most say it is about 1/58th scale which is still a lot smaller than 1/50th. 1/48th scale (model railway O gauge) is closer to 1/50th and I reckon figures of that scale would look far too big crewing this Revell kit.

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Aug 2014, 03:55

I`ve been doing a bit of quick research on Viking Longboats ( Ships ! ) and the Sutton Hoo Viking Longboat found in Britain is 90 foot long and 15 foot at the mid section which makes this Boat spot on for the 1/72 scale,Vikings,Saxons and Normans too.

Above the 28mm Warloard Games figures,below the 1/72 scale Strelets.

This is another Boat and not that one already mentioned.

The Emhar Oarsmen would I`m sure fit and they come with a box for each one to sit on,which is correct .The box held each oarsmen own belongings ( Kit! ) It appears if 28mm figures are used Gripping Beast are the best. I`ll soon have some on order so I`ll do a review on a few,because I fully intend to use both scales for different projects in the near future.
Thank`s for looking,it`s been fun. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Aug 2014, 07:57

As seen above, all three Kit`s have arrived ,however it was only the last box delivered that had the build instructions in it. This would have caused even more confusion if I`d only bought the two.

Well the answers to the question of this topic has been answered in full,with much more information added and perhaps in total this could be a help to others which is always my aim. BB
Beano Boy  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 30 Aug 2014, 08:49

Nice work Paul... looking forward to see them painted.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Aug 2014, 15:17

Thank`s Dalibor,the crews arrived today for these Longboats ( A first for a Sunday ! ) 132 Viking`s and 132 Saxon ,all multipart 28mm figures. Some 1/72 figures are on order too. It will be a while before I can show Work in Progress because I have yet to make the Base in which these Longboats will be set into. I am reviewing options for this base-work at this present time.BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 11 Sep 2014, 21:10

The first 28mm Norman`s arrived today.

More Normans will arrive soon . This gives me three choices for photo shoots and other stuff too,that will man the Longboats ( Longships! ) Now I realise this is an old set but I felt I`d just do this little review,for those who perhaps have not seen it,and I for one being new to 28mm scale modelling had not.

So what is in the Box?

There are three of these main sprues with four figures ,with horses too,to make up,and a few arms and a choice of shields ;round and kite style.
Hopefully when the other kit`s arrive I might be able to use an arm with a battle axe in the hand. (Time will tell in that respect.) All the swords are moulded onto the figures,and I know to some they find this rather irritating. Yes the option to stick one on would be good for most,and others like myself just another awkward part to stick on.

One each of the two above. Below close up shots of the figures. I like the wooden shield,with the wood detail on it,and I intend to use this on a few fellows from the Viking Set.

With this set you get 15 mounted knights or mounted Normans if you like after all not all had a title. There are no Decals,but I for one do not recent this fact because you also receive the figure above .So 15 mounted figures plus this one which makes this box much larger then most Kits available.

What you do get are these Bases too which for wargamer`s this is good news.

I don`t know if most would like the downed Norman or not,but certainly I do. I believe the thinking behind it was to produce it cast in metal. However its here in this set a plastic Bonus figure in my mind.
Those two highly prized figures above might seem to many as being quite undecided upon this issue of like or dislike where this figure is concerned. ( I`ll ask them later.) That's it for now. Thank`s for reading and looking. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to General