Work in Progress

World of varieties - HäT French line infantry 1808-1812

Posted by Zed1 on 06 Jun 2011, 05:05

Hello folks!

This will be a long-run project to display the huge amount of varieties that can be painted with some of the Napoleonic sets. Basis of this work is the HäT set 8095 “French line infantry”. The set 8166 1805-1812 “French line grenadiers” is technically an extension pack to this set which contains the eight additional stances that are necessary to complete the look of the grenadier battalions of that era. Figures have the same size and modelling look, so I’ve taken them into account as well.

What I’m going to do with them is to paint them in the colours of each and every unit that used this uniform pattern in order do show you the enormous amount of variants that can be painted with this one and a half sets of figures.

General conditions are:
- Only figures from HäT sets 8095 and 8166 and their parts are allowed, no external material or figure parts from other sets
- Modifications can be done within the sets – for example swapping heads or cutting/melting work that alters shako plates, cuffs, plume positions and other details into the required shape.
- No time limit or certain order of painting and posting

For research I made use of three different sources: http://empire.histofig.com, http://www.grosser-generalstab.de/lh/lh.html and (thanks to judgefredd) http://www.histunif.com/index.htm. I also consulted good old Knoetel for his suggestion on some patterns.

What I’ve noticed is that some of the sources are inconsistent with one another. In these cases I made my choice for one side. If anyone finds any major fault in the displayed units, please send me a PM about it. I don’t want to create a monster thread with hundreds of discussions about flaps and cuffs and stuff resulting from what I’ve shown here.

I know that many units are shown with gaiters, even with the Hessian type of gaiters that wears a tassle on top of it – and the soldiers in the set wear long trousers. Nevertheless, after reading some sources, talking with reenactors and looking on pictures of soldiers on campaign, I learned that on campaign, trousers were regularly worn above gaiters in order to prevent them from being worn-up too fast. Tassles were often stored in the packpack in order to prevent them from getting lost. So having this in mind, the long trousers are no problem at all. In some cases, I made some cutting work on the trousers in order to simulate gaiters with paint.

Keep in mind: this will be a huge display of units. At the time being, I’ve already got approximately 140 different uniforms on my list.
I’m going to concentrate on the troopers first. Here and there, I’ll add officers and drummers.

So wow – let’s go, there’s much work to be done. I hope you enjoy with me the great range of varieties that can be done with only one set of figures!
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 06 Jun 2011, 05:06

Part 1 - French regiments, French foreign regiments, Swiss regiments in French service

French regular line infantry

33rd regiment, white uniforms

63rd regiment

Chasseurs des montagnes (mountain riflemen)

Fusiliers and officer:

Tirailleurs du Po

Imperial guard:

Dutch guard grenadiers:

And the drummer for them:

Foreign regiments:

1st regiment etranger, Regiment de la Tour d'Auvergne (1809-1812):

2nd regiment etranger, Regiment d'Isembourg (from left to right: 1805-1806/1807-1808/1809-1810/1811-1812 period)

Carabiniers

3rd regiment etranger, Regiment Irlandaise (drummer and officer):

3rd regiment etranger, Regiment Irlandaise, Chasseur, Voltigeur, Grenadier (1811-1812):
ImageImageImage

4th regiment etranger (voltigeur, voltigeur officer, grenadier, drummer of chasseurs, chasseur) 1809-1812:

Swiss regiments:

3rd regiment, 1807-1812:

4th regiment, 1807-1812:

Regiment Valaisan (fusilier, grenadier, drummer):
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 06 Jun 2011, 05:07

Part 2 - German allies

Baden, lifeguard grenadier, campaign dress 1809-1813

Cleve-Berg, fusilier of 3rd regiment and officer in field dress, 1808:

Cleve-Berg, National guard (trooper and drummer):

Grand duchy of Frankfurt (grenadier, voltigeur, fusilier):

Lippe-Detmold fusiliers 1809-1812:

Lippe-Schaumburg fusilier 1809-1810:

Kingdom of Westphalia voltigeur:

Legion Hannovrienne, chasseur, grenadier, drummer, voltigeur 1809-1811:

Grand-duchy of Wurzburg, officer and drummer:

Grand-duchy of Wurzburg, fusilier, grenadier and voltigeur:

Grand-duchy of Wurzburg, volunteer hunters:
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Zed1 on 06 Jun 2011, 05:07

Part 3 - Italian units and other French allies

Kingdom of Italy

The seven line infantry regiments (1812; from left to right 1st to 7th)

Light infantry, carabiniers of the 3 regiments of 1809

Velites grenadier (1809)

1st light infantry regiment, Carabinier (1809)

Chasseur, Governmental Guards (1805)

Grenadier of the presidential guard (1803-1804)

Royal guard grenadier (1810)

Conscripted rifleman (1812)

Kingdom of Naples

Foot grenadier regiment, 1809

Guard grenadier regiment, 1810

1st regiment foot velites, chasseur & 2nd regiment foot velites, voltigeur 1808

1st to 4th light infantry regiment, fusiliers

Croatian regiments

1st provisional croatian regiment

3rd provisional croatian regiment, chasseur, voltigeur and grenadier
ImageImageImage

3rd provisional croatian regiment, officer and drummer

in group:

Piemont

Legion Piemontaise, Grenadier

Spanish regiments in French service

Regiment Joseph Napoleon, fusilier, voltigeur and grenadier

Regiment Joseph Napoleon, drummer and officer

Regiments Ile de Ré (left) and Walcheren (right side)

Kingdom of Holland, Lifeguard regiment, grenadier and chasseur

Kingdom of Holland, Marine

Kingdom of Holland, grenadiers of the 8 line regiments in interim uniform (1806)
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Rosbif on 06 Jun 2011, 06:57

WOW :shock: ! You've set yourself an enormous task, Zedalist, but I'm looking forward to your progress.

It's boring to paint blue, white, red on the same figures over and over, so I've been planning to paint up some Italian line infantry with the leftovers in my collection. Now I can get even more inspiration from watching your progress :-D !
Rosbif  Australia

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by entrauner on 06 Jun 2011, 07:43

I think that is a hell of an idea,I really like your project.-shame, these häts are so dwarfy.
entrauner  Austria

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by leifkarl1112 on 06 Jun 2011, 13:39

First of all I'd like to say, well done on what you have completed so far - they look great! 8)

This is one enormous task that you have set for yourself. It is very inspiring to the rest of us, and the ideas that it gives me.................. :oops:

I'm really looking forward to what else you come up with, I really like the idea of painting lesser states or countires forces.

Keep up the good work. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Karl.
leifkarl1112  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 06 Jun 2011, 14:16

Been busy Sascha? :shock:

Great project :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by SamSagace on 06 Jun 2011, 19:34

Peter wrote:Been busy Sascha? :shock:

:nono: :nono: he just paint some figures!!! :lol:

Great project :thumbup:

:thumbup: yes and very good painting work!! :headbang:
SamSagace  France
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by ModernKiwi on 06 Jun 2011, 22:28

Very impressive work, all those little buttons picked out!!!!
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by musketier on 07 Jun 2011, 00:54

nice work, i really like them all, i like the green in the Irish Regt. What did you use for that?
musketier  United States of America

Posted by Zed1 on 07 Jun 2011, 08:08

Thank you for the positive feedback. If it weren't for my stupid camera, I would have already uploaded the next figure this morning.

Well - it's definitely a bit of a challenge, but it is real fun searching the web for new unit patterns. As a by-product, I gain lots of ideas and impressions for future projects.

I know that these figures look a bit clowny or dwarfy - but I like that 'wargamish' style. On the other hand, I would have also used a different set representing soldiers in pre-Bardin uniforms... if there were any! There's no other set containing French soldiers in correct pre-1812 dresses. All other sets show us the post-1812 Bardin-style uniforms which, of course, could also been used for a big variety of units, but a) not that many and b) not in the colourful style that most pre-1812 styles still provided.

The green I used for the Irish regiment is artichoke green (464) from a German company called Rayher. It's a quite cheap acrylic paint (1,79€ for 60ml) from a hobby shop next door. I have darkened it a little bit using chaos black from GamesWorkshop. I varied it with a little bit of of dark angels green and chaos black for the drummer of 4 etranger. This tone (a bit brighter perhaps) is suitable for the troopers in the 1st, 3rd and 4th regiment etranger, but I will have to experiment with brighter green and earthy brown tones when I'm going to paint Croatian and Italian units.

Well... I had a short look over my material and noticed that I will sooner or later run out of two items: voltigeur heads and officer heads (bicorn). I will for example need at least two heads with bicorns for creating trooper and drummer of the Cleve-Berg national guard. So if anyone has got voltigeurs or officers from this set and doesn't need them - I'll be happy to realease you from keeping them in a box. ;-)

P.S.: the guy loading his musket is dwarfy at maximum. He looks so damn bad that I had severe problems making a somewhat adequate photo. I guess I'll refurbish the figure another time and for showing the other regiments, I just take other stances than this one. :x
Zed1  Germany

Posted by musketier on 08 Jun 2011, 00:34

Thanks for the info. Zed, keep up the good work, and I'll keep this in mind when I get back to the French side again :-D
musketier  United States of America

Posted by Carlo Antonio on 12 Jun 2011, 11:15

Very great project !!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Carlo Antonio  Italy

Posted by Zed1 on 15 Jun 2011, 23:58

Ah - once again I could throw my camera out of the window. I'll try to provide better pictures as soon as possible. Until then, please forgive me if some pictures look odd. They don't adequately show the real McCoy anyway. :roll:

The Italian government guardsman by the way is a very special figure. In this case, swapping heads was not enough. The figure has a voltigeur plume attached to a fusilier shako because I needed a plume on a shako with a regimental plate. Next thing is that the torso of the figure is from a marching fusilier while its' legs are taken from a grenadier on guard that is contained in the "grenadier add-on-set". Was some tricky work, but the result looks really nice.

Edith says:
Renewed the last photos. They still don't look great, but better than before.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by Bramble15 on 16 Jun 2011, 01:56

Great job on the project!!! :headbang: :headbang: This will prove to be a huge resource at least for mysef and what I work on!!! Thank you.
Bramble15  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 16 Jun 2011, 03:32

Awesome idea and project!! Would love to see a group picture at some point :-D
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by closerlookbooks on 16 Jun 2011, 05:04

Along with those who have already posted, I look very much forward to seeing the results of your research and painted figures. What an incredible task you've set for yourself—and we get to benefit from it all. This would make for a great bookor booklet!!!
Best wishes,
Steven
http://www.pegasusfigures.com
closerlookbooks  United States of America

Posted by leifkarl1112 on 16 Jun 2011, 13:22

I love the Governmental Guard 1805! :love:

What a beautiful looking figure. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Karl.
leifkarl1112  United Kingdom

Posted by Zed1 on 23 Jun 2011, 01:18

Now added the first Croatian units...

Thanks for the warm feedback which is very encouraging.
My progress is not too bad although I wish I had more time left for painting. With the Croatian 3rd provisional regiment, I have made a small group picture for the very first time. The positive thing about it is that the figures look much better than in close-up, but this comes with the negative point that not all details can be seen clearly. What do you folks think about it?
Zed1  Germany

Next page

Return to Work in Progress