Gallery

Panzer Grenadier

Posted by Bluefalchion on 14 Apr 2011, 17:53

Since I started painting guys last fall, I have probably done about 200. I have mostly just been experimenting with different techniques, some much more successful than others. I tried to give him autumn/winter camo pattern jacket and helmet cover. Paints are Testor Model Masters. Image

I liked the way he turned out, especially compared to many of my other samples.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Tom Russell on 14 Apr 2011, 21:19

Excellent effort, nice shading though the quickshade (or whatever varnish you have used) seems a little heavy, it seems to obliterate the fine detail.

I am still experimenting after 30 years of painting, still haven't found "just the right" method yet!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, hopefully you'll find your perfect combination sooner than I have.
Tom Russell  Netherlands

Posted by KenzoSato on 14 Apr 2011, 21:42

:thumbup:
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by Bluefalchion on 14 Apr 2011, 23:08

I dipped him in a dark creosote wood stain that I had laying around, then tried to shake it off like they show in the Army Painter how-to video. It didn't work too well, but a few blasts of Testors Dullcoat at least took off that glossy finish.

Posted by Panzer_Grenadire on 15 Apr 2011, 08:29

Model Master I think let a gloss finish on plastic, particularly on Caesar and Pegasus Hobbies soft plastic... ;-)
In spite using matt varnish, not all the times this proper works on these plastics...
I prefer Humbrol enamel but very thin because otherwise you confront with the same situation.... :-D
I learnt that after painting few hundreds figs of the above mentiond manufacturers... :-D
Panzer_Grenadire  Romania

Posted by Zed1 on 15 Apr 2011, 08:48

That's exactly the point. Whatever you've used for finishing seems to leave a glossy effect on the figure - or reflects light in an odd way. Personally, I would beg you to make photos in a lower angle instead from up above - you see more details of the figure and you have lesser reflections when the source of light is located above the figure.
Zed1  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Tom Russell on 15 Apr 2011, 09:01

Try brushing the stain on, and also your matt varnish doesn't need to be as thickly applied as it suggests on the bottle. (the quicker it's up, the sooner you buy a new one!)

Keep up the good work
Tom Russell  Netherlands

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Apr 2011, 16:50

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I found with some acrylic gesso used for a primer, and about 1/1 paint to thinner ratio on the brush, most Model Master paints will dry and look half-way decent on the Caesar guys. The sample in this thread was done using the earlier technique--he has about 5 thick coates of various substances, so I think that is where you lose some detail.

Return to Gallery