Tutorials

Figure Modifications (Egyptian Infantry)

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 25 Nov 2008, 08:14

I've been working on some of the Zvzeda Egyptian Infantry figures (http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.asp?manu=ZVE&code=8051). Somehow I always end up going beyond the regular clean-up of flash. While the Egyptian figures are nice, a couple of them have big blobs of plastic where there shouldn't be.

Here is one example, an archer. I started by carving out the plastic between the arrow and the arm, and finally replacing the arrow with .5 mm plastic rod (I may still replace this with thinner rod for a better scale appearance). I also carved out the plastic behind the quiver so it stands out more. After I took these pictures I noticed that that part still needs more clean-up...

Here is the converted figure side-by-side with an unmodified one. Apologies for the quality of these two images. The lighting wasn't exactly ideal...

Still working on some kind of solution for the string on the bow. I've read the various threads on the forum here and know that a good solution is not easy.

More to follow... :-D
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by Michel on 25 Nov 2008, 08:53

Very nice!
You can use Hair as a Bow-String!
Michel  Germany

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 25 Nov 2008, 18:02

Hair! Of course, I hadn't thought of that! And I've got a lifetime supply of bowstrings on my head (still....) ;-)

Posted by dykio on 25 Nov 2008, 18:27

Hey dutchboy,

If you need some grey-ones let me know.... (And i've even got some white hairs for you)

LAter

Dykio
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 01 Dec 2008, 06:35

A few updates. I started to apply some base colors to a couple of figures. Looks pretty good already especially when considering that I haven't done any real figure painting in this small a scale in 15+ years! ;-) And those figures sure look a lot smaller when you're trying to get paint on them!

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 26 Jan 2009, 07:07

Finally got a chance to do some more work on these figures. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I tried some different shading techniques. Still not sure how to do faces on dark-skinned figures. Any suggestions, critique etc. is welcome. Thanks!

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by chen on 26 Jan 2009, 09:01

They look already pretty nice, Dutchboyinohio. :thumbup: I like very much your painting style.
chen  China

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 26 Jan 2009, 18:40

Thanks Chen,
I'm still experimenting with my shading and highlighting. I think I tend to overdo the highlighting a little bit. My drybrushing skills are pretty good, I just need to get better at picking and/or mixing the right shades.

Posted by Martin on 26 Jan 2009, 21:55

Hi Hollandse jongen in Ohio,

These dark skinned figures look good to me.
I don't have any experience in painting these kind of figures.
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Peter on 26 Jan 2009, 22:44

Someone on this forum told me to use washes (Ruben). I would try a black one on this figures.

Very beautifull figures by the way :thumbup:

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Benno on 27 Jan 2009, 11:14

Perhaps you could drybrush a few parts very slightly with bestial brown for some highlights, but it looks good as it is now. :thumbup:
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 29 Jan 2009, 19:28

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I tried a thin black wash but it didn't really take very well. I think the brown may be too dark for that. I'll try a very, very light drybrushing next, although I'm tempted to leave them as is and just Dullcote them and move on to other figures. :-D

Posted by Adam on 30 Jan 2009, 11:56

Hi, I have recently done some Zulu, although only in 10mm, I think the secret to dark colours is don't higlight too much and don't be too subtle.

I used GW's scorched brown mixed with a little black as a base coat and then GW's scorched brown about 60-70% and a mid chesnut brown (by foundry) about 30-40% as top higlights. I found that when this dried a little scorched brown neat as a thin wash was enough to blend thi sin, though just how much this did I'm not sure at this scale.

I tried bestial brown as Benno suggested but felt it was a little orange when dry whereas black skin is generally a redder or even bluer cast as a base. (why scoprched brown is quite nice)

I think as with black, it you start puttign 3-4 or more shades of highlights and washes at anything under 28mm you run the risk of creating a monotone muddy mess.

Your base colour is a nice blueblack, I would maybe add a decent amount of the brown you used for the top of the quiver to the base colour (as above) a try highligh tonly the cheeks, tops of the muscles in the back and arms, calves etc. not too much. Its only something I have done a little of myself and I do perhaps want to do a zulu diorama.

Keep up the good work :thumbup:
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 12 Feb 2009, 08:38

Watch this thread, I just took some pictures that are going to knock your socks off!! Off course I brought a digital camera home from work but not a card reader :boink: .....

But then, a teaser never hurts either ;-) . Pictures will be up shortly....

Posted by Adam on 12 Feb 2009, 20:17

Looking forward to them!
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 12 Feb 2009, 21:17

Prepare to be amazed (check out the bow string on these guys!).....

It actually wasn't too difficult to do. All it took was one hair (thanks Dykio), a sharp knife to carve some slits in the bow ends and in between the hand and arrow, and a little super glue. Oh, and lots and lots of patience .... :stressed:

I'm very happy with the way they came out. The only thing I need to work on is getting more tension on the hair (i.e. actually wait until the glue is completely dry before letting go ;-) )

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Adam on 12 Feb 2009, 22:08

excellent- thats worked really well! nice and clean near the bow tip two, probably down to using cut slots rather than tying.

good stuff :thumbup:
Adam  United Kingdom

Posted by Martin on 12 Feb 2009, 23:16

Hi DBIO,

Don't make a whole army like that,
You'll end up bold. :mrgreen: :joker:
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by dykio on 13 Feb 2009, 13:11

Hi DBIO,

These figs turned out briliant !! I did try to do something simular (with some orc-archers. pics will eventually follow) I made a small hole behind the arrow and put the hair trough it but that just didn't work out. Did hyou also made a hole or just glued the hair in place ?.

ps. I'm letting my hair grow in cause you have bigger figs....

Later dykio
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 13 Feb 2009, 15:42

dykio,
I cut some very small slots in the ends of the bow, as well as in between the hand and the feathers on the arrows. I think that's much easier to do than drilling holes. You don't need much, because the hair is so thin you can easily pull it into the slot. I put a little dot of superglue on top of the slot and the hair will pull the glue in with it. Then you just need to make sure you hold it long enough for the glue to dry completely (about one minute or so), which was the hardest part for me ;-) . After that, I just cut off the excess pieces with a sharp razor blade. If you look closely at the archer who is ready to fire, you'll see a little bit of excess at the top of the bow.

It took me about three tries to get the first archer right, but after that, the second one was easy.

Next page

Return to Tutorials